Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Magicka dragon knigh or stamina

predkill29
predkill29
✭✭
Hey what is better for a dk stamina or magicka
-Daggerfall Covenant Xbox NA-
Class 1 - imperial dragon knight vet 10
Class 2 - dark elf templar vet 1
Master crafter
  • Sandshark95
    Sandshark95
    ✭✭✭
    It depends on what you're going for. I have a DK Magicka Tank and can tell you magicka DK builds are more common; of course, that doesn't mean a stamina build isn't viable. Most DK skills cost and scale with magicka, so if you want to focus your character around the skills in your DK trees, then magicka is the way to go. However, if you don't care for most of the DK skills and would rather slot primarily weapon skills on your bar, you'll want stamina. In addition, most DK skills are close-range, so it's best to go with a melee weapon. Or, if you want to be a caster, you'll just find yourself casting in melee range most of the time.

It's all about play style; any build can work if you put work into it.
  • DeepBlade
    DeepBlade
    Soul Shriven
    I'm not an exeprt in DK's, I'm Stam NB (SypherPK build) but normally magicka Dk is associated to blocking, surviving and beeing in front surviving. About stam DK is more for Damage, but the good os Stam builds are Nightblades (they are) but Stam DK is really good.
    What's your style of play? Surviving and don't dealing a lot of damage or dealing a good damage and surviving (depends on the build).
    Edited by DeepBlade on July 15, 2015 11:03AM
  • Sandshark95
    Sandshark95
    ✭✭✭
    Anything Stamina is actually good right now (though a Stamina Sorc would be questionable...). I love my Stamina NB Archer and my Stamina Templar DPS. I disagree that magicka DKs are geared more towards survivability than DPS; Tanks, yes, but a magicka DK DPS can do serious damage. Kill it with fire! :)
  • DamagedInc666
    DamagedInc666
    ✭✭
    Interesting topic this, i'm new to the game and am a LV21 Dark Elf DK and I still can't decide between stamina and magicka and also which armour to wear as heavy seems to be stamina focussed and light is magicka, I keep changing my mind!
  • Sandshark95
    Sandshark95
    ✭✭✭
    @DamagedInc666 As a Dark Elf, you get passives that up your fire damage, so you should consider going magicka to take advantage of that. Light armor is best for magicka focused builds, while heavy is for health and medium is for stamina. I'd recommend, if you go the magicka route, to take mostly light armor and use either a fire destro staff (if you want to be a melee-range caster) or DW/2h (if you want to go full melee). Dark Elves also make good vampires because they have some fire resistance due to racial passives; going vamp would also benefit your magicka. A DK Fire Mage build (staff or melee) might interest you if you want to be a DPS. I'm considering rolling one myself so I could become a Vampire Pyromancer. :)
  • predkill29
    predkill29
    ✭✭
    I'm a imperial dk, do you think a magicka build would still be good?
    Master crafter
  • Artfuldodger
    Artfuldodger
    ✭✭✭
    From what I have learnt over a course of time as a DK is, that a DK is very well suited to being a tank. Obviously you do not have to choose that route, but if you do then Stamina and health, plus heavy armour, would be what you would concentrate building your character on. I have found that adding those particular attributes allows me to take more damage and last longer, as well as causing more damage when hitting.
    Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid.
    -Johnny Depp
  • Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭
    predkill29 wrote: »

Currently, none of the imperial racial abilities are really designed to help a magicka build; however, you should still be able to make a successful magicka using dk build.

Unless you are a big min/maxer I wouldn't get to hung up on how your race will impact your build. There are so many ways to overcome less than perfect race/class combinations, and none of us ever know when ZOS will decide to change the racial passives anyway.

Build a character you like and enjoy playing :)
  • predkill29
    predkill29
    ✭✭
    Allyhoo811 wrote: »
    predkill29 wrote: »

Currently, none of the imperial racial abilities are really designed to help a magicka build; however, you should still be able to make a successful magicka using dk build.

Unless you are a big min/maxer I wouldn't get to hung up on how your race will impact your build. There are so many ways to overcome less than perfect race/class combinations, and none of us ever know when ZOS will decide to change the racial passives anyway.

Build a character you like and enjoy playing :)

That's what I was looking for, all the vet 14 dks see are magicka and they say it's better. I really wish I picked dark elf then went vampier. I'll try the magicka build out tomorrow most likely see which I like.
    Master crafter
  • DuroNL
    DuroNL
    I'm an Imperial DK, and i have a Stamina Build, i mainly Tank in Dungeons, and in PvP i just survive long enough to wear my opponent down and then hit him with my Two-Hander hard and often enough.

My Damage output is not something to be proud of :P but my resistance and survive ability sure is!
    Using the Stamina, to Block, bash, dodge and to use the 2H and SnB skills. i just use a few Magicka skills to boost defences, like the shields and such. and the Choking Talons to root my enemy.

I have 20k Spell resistance and 21k Physical resistance when boosted with shields, try hitting that :smiley:
    Founder of Daedric Gore, Join us and 140+ members for Chaos! And Xbox an Ambassador
  • DamagedInc666
    DamagedInc666
    ✭✭
    @DamagedInc666 As a Dark Elf, you get passives that up your fire damage, so you should consider going magicka to take advantage of that. Light armor is best for magicka focused builds, while heavy is for health and medium is for stamina. I'd recommend, if you go the magicka route, to take mostly light armor and use either a fire destro staff (if you want to be a melee-range caster) or DW/2h (if you want to go full melee). Dark Elves also make good vampires because they have some fire resistance due to racial passives; going vamp would also benefit your magicka. A DK Fire Mage build (staff or melee) might interest you if you want to be a DPS. I'm considering rolling one myself so I could become a Vampire Pyromancer. :)

That's some great advice, thanks!

I am currently DW and have Whirlwind, Searing Strike, Lava Whip, Spiked armour and Green Dragon Blood and Dragon Leap as my Ultimate on my main bar and i'm doing ok with it now i've learnt to block properly! I was having trouble with dying early on but I think a lot of that was due to my lack of blocking, i'm managing to take on elites a couple of levels above me now.

I'll have a look at getting a staff to try out as i'd not really considered using one before.
  • 21jws10
    21jws10
    ✭✭✭
    Imperial is decent with magicka if you think about it, the passives focus on stamina and heallth.. allowing you to focus on magicka.
    PS4 | EU | falout565 | Looking for PvP group, messsage me, BWB