Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

New to ESOTU, couple of questions

DustyFlapdragon
Hi All,

so brand new to ESOTU and MMO's (well i have played a couple but never for any period of time) I have a few questions if you dont mind educating the stupid :) :

1. I have stuff, recipes for example that I don't need and sell for little. I tried to trade with random lower levels (i'm 12) folks to give them away, but would appear you can't. I read that sharing via a guild is the way but I have no idea what to do for that. Do i just join a guild and give it away, i have no interest in selling randomly acquired stuff, I am all for sharing with new folks (and old folks though they likely won't need my level 12 crap :P)

2. How/Why do I join a guild (other than question 1) i have seen guild traders around and some randoms have invited me (i ignored) honestly I don't know if i should. I hear you can join up to 5. I'd love to know the pros/cons.

3. I am mostly selling stolen goods and deconstructing/researching weapons for experience/parts , i read this is best for early game leveling but i make bugger all money (1k/6 hours really). I need that mount but honestly i'll likely just buy crowns/sub once payday rolls around. is this the best way to go about things?

4. I read people talking about "builds" like concentrating on healing ect I am just randomly leveling up things I use or sound useful (hirelings) i guess for dungeons a mixed team works but I only have one friend on my list who plays ESOTU so i doubt i will be doing them (i hear they are multiplayer areas/ so perhaps a pro for guilds?)

apologies if these questions have been asked before but I have trawled through lots of posts/beginners guides and they all seem to assume you actually know what your doing to begin with

cheers

Dusty
  • DustyFlapdragon
    sorry meant to add on PS4 (couldn't find the edit button)

[edit, found the edit button on my second post but now can't edit the first, sorry :P ]
    Edited by DustyFlapdragon on July 12, 2015 5:49PM
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you join a guild. Yes you can either sell things on the store, or put it in the guild bank for others.

You join a guild by accepting the invite. Joining a guild allows you to meet people in game, you can teach each other things about the game, you can sell stuff, if a guild has events those can be a lot of fun. As well guilds are a great way to meet people so you can run group content such as dungeons. Pretty much guilds are there to make friends :). Of course some guilds are focused on specific aspects of the game such as PvP or trading.trading guilds usually heavily focus on buying and selling, including making sure they always have a guild trader.

You can go about it however you like. Deconstructing now will give your crafting an early start. If you want to buy a mount with crowns, go ahead. Something to note is you are able to train your riding skills before you even get a mount. This way, when you get it, it will already have extra pack space, speed or Stamina.. Whatever you trained in riding skills for.

Yes for group content you will want to know if you focus on healing. Focus on doing lots of damage, or can take a lot of damage (tank). See, there's a great reason to join a guild. You may only have one friend now, but through meeting folks in a guild you are surely going to find plenty more :)
    Edited by MissBizz on July 12, 2015 5:54PM
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    "1. I have stuff, recipes for example that I don't need and sell for little. I tried to trade with random lower levels (i'm 12) folks to give them away, but would appear you can't. I read that sharing via a guild is the way but I have no idea what to do for that. Do i just join a guild and give it away, i have no interest in selling randomly acquired stuff, I am all for sharing with new folks (and old folks though they likely won't need my level 12 crap :P)"

A: Guilds have a guildstore. This is a place where you can list items you want to sell (and choose what price you want to sell it for). You can also browse the store to see what your fellow guildmembers are selling (e.g. to see what price is reasonable or cause you can use it). Some guilds also have a guildtrader. This is an npc in the world they hire for a period of 1 week (based on biddings). This allows non-members to browse the store of that guild and buy the items needed. Guilds with such a trader are often called "trading guilds". The better location a guilds trader has, the better the sales are. But it also means the trader is more expensive. So those guilds often require your to meet a certain amount of sales (they get a small cut of your profit to pay for the trader). So join a trading guild and make sure you inform bout the location of the trader and the things they require from you. for example, my trading guild (on the PC) has a trader in the main town of the third map and ask members to be active and use the trader to sell items (no requirement how much). The A location-guilds demands you to make atleast an x amount of profit each week.

"2. How/Why do I join a guild (other than question 1) i have seen guild traders around and some randoms have invited me (i ignored) honestly I don't know if i should. I hear you can join up to 5. I'd love to know the pros/cons.
    "
    A: As for the function of guildtraders, see the above ;)
    You need to be invited by a member of the guild. I am in 4 guilds. One is the traderguild I'm leading. I'm also member of a bigger traderguild that I also use to do my trades. One guild is a social guild that I use to chat, socialize and play together and I'm member of a PvP guild.. My fifth guild slot is currently unused.

"3. I am mostly selling stolen goods and deconstructing/researching weapons for experience/parts , i read this is best for early game leveling but i make bugger all money (1k/6 hours really). I need that mount but honestly i'll likely just buy crowns/sub once payday rolls around. is this the best way to go about things?"

A: Researching: Hell yeah. Do it as early as possible and as much as possible. Now it is a matter of hours. At later levels it will be a matter of weeks!
    Deconstructing: it is good to deconstruct to level experience, but don't do it on all. Also sell the items to the merchant. I've heard that 1/3th deconstruct, 2/3th sold for money is a good ratio to keep on track for the crafting while still gaining enough money to get things going. Stealing is also a great way of getting some money quickly.

"4. I read people talking about "builds" like concentrating on healing ect I am just randomly leveling up things I use or sound useful (hirelings) i guess for dungeons a mixed team works but I only have one friend on my list who plays ESOTU so i doubt i will be doing them (i hear they are multiplayer areas/ so perhaps a pro for guilds?)"

A: The term "hirelings" is used for crafting. It is an npc that sends you crafting materials in the mail everyday. It got nothing to do with dungeons or group content.
    There are several kind of dungeons.
    1: solo dungeons aka delves. These are indicated on the map as a torch. You can do these solo
    2: public dungeons. These are hard to do solo, but cause anyone can enter the same instance, you often have fellow players running around (just like open world), so it is not required to group up at all.
    3: group dungeons. These are instanced and (nearly) impossible to solo. You will need a group and in those group you got 3 roles:
    - tank, to hold the agro
    - healer: to keep everyone alive
    - dps: people dealing the heavy damage. Typically in a group you got two of these.
    Many guilds run dungeons on a regular base, and you can also use the groupfinder (that works bad on the console at the moment due to bugs) to find a so called "pug" (pick up group , aka a group of people you dont know. be warned, not everyone is nice there)

Through me you pass into the city of woe:
    Through me you pass into eternal pain:
    Through me among the people lost for aye.

PC player - EU
  • Artfuldodger
    Artfuldodger
    ✭✭✭
    Ranique wrote: »
    "1.
    Many guilds run dungeons on a regular base, and you can also use the groupfinder (that works bad on the console at the moment due to bugs) to find a so called "pug" (pick up group , aka a group of people you dont know. be warned, not everyone is nice there)

That there is correct lol, I tried it for the first time today, waited ages and nothing. Gave up and left the dungeon only to find players hanging around outside who wanted to group.

Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid.
    -Johnny Depp
  • DustyFlapdragon
    great feedback guys/gals :) thank you

seems i need to find a guild atleast, i would like some friends...

@MissBizz how does one go about training a horse without one?

• Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not called @missbiz but to answer it. Just go to the stable, talk to the stableguy there and check the tab bout riding skills.
    Through me you pass into the city of woe:
    Through me you pass into eternal pain:
    Through me among the people lost for aye.

PC player - EU
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ranique wrote: »
    Not called @missbiz but to answer it. Just go to the stable, talk to the stableguy there and check the tab bout riding skills.

Yup. If you look at your map, where you see a horse head (usually in or just outside a city) is where you will find a stable with stablemaster
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • Azurephoenix999
    Azurephoenix999
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm more concerned why it wouldn't let him trade. He knows how to, right?

Go up to a player, hold down the menu button, select invite to trade.

Guildmaster of Spectral Liberty - Xbox One - European Megaserver
  • DustyFlapdragon
    I'm more concerned why it wouldn't let him trade. He knows how to, right?

Go up to a player, hold down the menu button, select invite to trade.

sorry I should clarify, I could trade but the recipe was not in the list of things that I could trade. However i think it may now be because I had stolen it but not laundered it. perhaps...

[edit]
    To confirm, I had another recipe (found not stolen) I didn't need so tried again, it was in the list this time around so does work.
    Edited by DustyFlapdragon on July 14, 2015 11:48AM