Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Making a crafter character

predkill29
predkill29
✭✭
For a crafting character should I do all the crafting on one character or 2 or 3 on one
-Daggerfall Covenant Xbox NA-
Class 1 - imperial dragon knight vet 10
Class 2 - dark elf templar vet 1
Master crafter
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    predkill29 wrote: »
    For a crafting character should I do all the crafting on one character or 2 or 3 on one

I don't think that dedicated crafting characters work. You actually need a lot of skillpoints.

The highest goal of a crafting character is to be able to make all sets. This means you need access to all the maps with stations and want to have finished the fighters and mages questline. You also want to research all traits. That means you need (atleast) 45 traits researched for woodworker to finish investigating. Atleast 126 traits on the clothier and the blacksmith. The issue here is that research time goes up when you level up. At veteran rank level 14 it can take up to 30 days to investigate a single trait

The amount of skillpoints needed in total for a single craft is 12 (minimum) but you likely want more.
    Let's look at the passives for blacksmithing (same effects for clothier and woodworking).

You need 12 points in metalworking to make the different levels of gear.
    Keen eye ore: this is extremely helpfull in finding resources, but I think 1 point here will do.
    Miner hireling: really worth it to get resources, so I'd invest 3 points here.
    Metal extraction: also really worth it, so again invest 3 points here.
    metallurgy: I'll get to this soon ;)
    Temper expertise: a real money saver, so invest 3 points here.

So in total you need 22 skillpoints for a single craft and that means 66 skillpoints for all three. Still I would recommend to do it all on one character. In the end, once you are set up and maxed out, you'll only need 15 skillpoints. you don't need a lot of resources to level, only to craft what you need. So only the points in metalworker and temper expertise.
    The most important reason is the researchtime needed. You'll want to limit researchtime as much as possible so, as it takes time, you also want to stop levelling once you reach a certain point. I would recommend to do it at level 40. The researchtime is still relative short. You can do two things per discipline at the same time and you got access to all the crafting stations (except the ones in craglorn) without sneaking through bad territory. So I've parked my character at that level and it will be my main crafter. once she maxed out the trait research, she will be moved on. The skillpoints invested in metallurgy will be refunded then and I only need the main 12 points and the temper expertise for each craft.

Still it is steap in the amount of skillpoints. As the biggest part is doing the research I would recommend doing it on a single character. Just so you know where to find it and where to sent your stuff to to research.
    Through me you pass into the city of woe:
    Through me you pass into eternal pain:
    Through me among the people lost for aye.

PC player - EU
  • Prophetmgs88
    Im a dedicated crafting toon been playing since august 2014, im about 3 months away still from being full 9 trait in everything, i also have 219 skill points and it is do able, i took a few months off as well, than eso became f2p so i wish i hadnt quit because Id be full, but the smart thing todo is have multiple toons research traits, you will have all traits learned more quickly for sure, but considering thats more toons crafts you gotta level, but swaping crafted items between toons is easy and effective. Other things to consider when dedicating 1 guy to crafting all your alts can focus on playing, capping the proffessions is beneficial anyway, so that isnt really "extra work" but you need to do it to train those traits where as you can just do it at your leisure

I just redid my skills got all my professions done and all my skills i need and passives for my dps build, i still have about 23 skill points floating, if you have dedicated crafter beprepared to have 200 skill points at your disposal

Im missing skyshards from cyrodiil and craglorn all other areas have been gotten, and ofcourse many dungeon quests have been completed too
    Lvl 50 woodworking 9 traits learned
    Lvl 50 clothing 9 traits learned
    Lvl 50 black smithing 9 traits learned
    Lvl 50 enchanting
    Lvl 50 alchemy
    Lvl 50 provisioning, most recipes known

All styles learned
    All nirn learned

Master Crafter in everything!

Send me messages via psn
  • Prophetmgs88
    So considering you go 8 toons each toon has 3 slots to research, so you are looking at 24 traits at a time per table, thats huge!!
    Edited by Prophetmgs88 on July 11, 2015 10:10AM
    Lvl 50 woodworking 9 traits learned
    Lvl 50 clothing 9 traits learned
    Lvl 50 black smithing 9 traits learned
    Lvl 50 enchanting
    Lvl 50 alchemy
    Lvl 50 provisioning, most recipes known

All styles learned
    All nirn learned

Master Crafter in everything!

Send me messages via psn
  • predkill29
    predkill29
    ✭✭
    Would it be worth it then for my second to do provisioning and mabye alchemy or enchanting
    -Daggerfall Covenant Xbox NA-
    Class 1 - imperial dragon knight vet 10
    Class 2 - dark elf templar vet 1
    Master crafter