The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The Potential for Mounts and Pets.

Kuroinu
Kuroinu
✭✭✭✭✭
Please excuse the initial whine it develops into something better as you read, lol.

Cash Shops in my opinion are the bane of all MMOs and I wish they never even became an idea.

They could have created an achievement and/or quest to unlock mounts or pets instead of being placed straight into the crown store. There are some really unique looking mounts/pets that almost scream for an in-game quest to explain how you came to own one; those little Daedra pets and the new Frost Mare mount are the ones that come to mind.

Excluding the standard stable horses in-game, I was surprised to find that there are almost no other ways to obtain mounts in-game and the same can be said for pets. I know the crown store can support the development of the game but it's the lack of imagination in implementing such things that disappoints me.

What really got me to post this was when I saw how well done some of these mounts and pets are and I simply saw missed potential, I'd really like this to be at least a future consideration.

For example

We're all aware of those random encounters in-game; be it a traveler getting attacked by bandits, two mages dueling or a Dark Fissure. With this random encounter system in place, we could expand on it by adding more rare encounters based in specific areas, times of day etc. You get the picture.

Now I'll use the Frost Mare mount as an example of a scenario of how a rare encounter could work. Let's say the encounter is specific to Eastmarch and during the day involves you having to either save the horse from various enemies or maybe in the case of night, chase it down until you can click on it or w/e. Having successfully completed either of these tasks during the encounter you're awarded with an achievement and the mount is unlocked. It sounds like I'm making this relatively easy but remember that I wanted these to be rare encounters, something rare enough that when you see it you'll be shocked and stop everything you're doing in-game.

What I said above was just one scenario and we could have many more unique to certain mounts/pets. This could be something that also makes the open world that much more exciting.

From what I remember hearing about what the Crown Stores purpose is that it's for convenience items for people that don't have time for this and that etc. With that being said if you were to implement what I have suggested for certain unique looking mounts and pets being these rare encounters in-game but still having the option to buy them as a "convenience" then the Crown Store will still have it's worth for these items.

And so you can /lurk: @ZOS_RichLambert

Thanks for reading!
  • Athas24
    Athas24
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't mind crown store items but the cash shops in games tend to get all the new attention as a way of making coin for the game and the quests/drops and such go away...if they were ever there to begin with. I remember getting rare mounts in SWTOR before they implemented their cash shop. After no new quests dropped ships/mounts or anything like that. Instead all the cool rides and stuff came from the random stupid boxes you bought from the cash shop or from a limited time offer etc from said shop. I doubt we'll see interesting ways of obtaining pets and mounts enter the game, it is going to be in the shop or not at all I'm pretty sure.
    ...OverTwerked & Underpaid.
    Rajaat04 in game @Athas24 on forums
  • Callous2208
    Callous2208
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sounds like a great idea to me. Also perhaps tie a regional or racial mount to completing a large achievement like "hero of the pact," or "savior of nirn." Not a rep grind mind you, just achievement based.

P.s. I'm not trying to make it like that one game who's name will not be spoken. I hate that game. Lol just sliding that in before anyone gets enraged.
  • ZOS_RichLambert
    ZOS_RichLambert
    Creative Director
    I'm am not a genie! :D

I normally make a point to not post in summons threads (future summoners take note!), but since you posted about something near and dear to my heart, I'll make this exception and leave a little tease...

...Orsinium.

Rich Lambert
    Creative Director - The Elder Scrolls Online
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube
    Staff Post
  • Gandrhulf_Harbard
    Gandrhulf_Harbard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @ZOS_RichLambert at current content release rates we'll all be too old to ride anything other than a mobility scooter by the time Orsinium arrives.

All The Best
    Those memories come back to haunt me, they haunt me like a curse.
    Is a dream a lie if it don't come true, or is it something worse.
  • grumlins
    grumlins
    ✭✭✭
    As someone who abhors all things microtransaction this shop is by far the best one I've seen outside of Rift. It really is. It deserves great marks because A: It doesn't matter which mount you are on you still get the bonuses you paid to train it on. I can switch between my paid for mount and my mount I got with coin and it doesn't matter. B: there are literally 5 pets I've seen personally. I would wait until they add tons more before worrying about something so trivial.

Guess what they'd be doing if they didn't have the mounts in the store right now? Selling gear.

So my advise is this, don't complain when it comes to this particular store it could be worse like Archeage, GW2, SWTOR, STO, or any of the other games out there that exploit progression for some more dollars.

This shop can stay the way it is. My ONLY request to improve the store would be this.....

More NON-horses. That's all I want.
  • Gandrhulf_Harbard
    Gandrhulf_Harbard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    grumlins wrote: »
    So my advise is this, don't complain when it comes to this particular store it could be worse like Archeage, GW2, SWTOR, STO, or any of the other games out there that exploit progression for some more dollars.

*cough* Crown Store XP Buff Pots *cough*

*ahem* [clears throat]

All The Best
    Those memories come back to haunt me, they haunt me like a curse.
    Is a dream a lie if it don't come true, or is it something worse.
  • Kuroinu
    Kuroinu
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I normally make a point to not post in summons threads (future summoners take note!), but since you posted about something near and dear to my heart, I'll make this exception and leave a little tease...

...Orsinium.

Don't tease us...we can't BEAR it.

@ZOS_JasonLeavey - How'd you like that!?

• Korozenn
    Korozenn
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can't BEAR the wait any longer!
  • Robert_E_Pee
    I completely agree with receiving a sort of prize from achievements such as mounts or pets. Awesome idea.
  • stevenbennett_ESO
    stevenbennett_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_RichLambert at current content release rates we'll all be too old to ride anything other than a mobility scooter by the time Orsinium arrives.

I would *so* ride a mobility scooter mount in ESO… :tongue:
  • xANTIxMATTERx
    xANTIxMATTERx
    ✭✭✭

...Orsinium.

WTB
    Anti-Matter | Nightblade | AR 40 | Flawless Conqueror | Former Emperor x 2
    Anti-Psychotic | Stamplar | AR 25 | Former Emperor
    Anti-Matter | Stam DK | AR 18 | Former Emperor
    Anti-Gravity | Stam Sorcerer | AR 10 | Flawless Conqueror
    Anti-Freeze | Magicka DK | Flawless Conqueror
    Anti-One | Magicka Sorc | Flawless Conqueror
    Anti-Matter | Magplar | Shehai Shatterer

Officer of Haxus | NA
    Member of The Order of Mundus | NA
    Former Member of Havoc, IR, Learn 2 Play and Crown Store Heros
  • Moridin82
    Moridin82
    ✭✭
    @ZOS_RichLambert Would also love to see quests chain with stuff like mounts and even rare pets :D
    Psn Ervik82 Eobonheart Pact
  • Morvul
    Morvul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    just wanted to pop in to say that I agree with the OP.
    Cash shops - even benign cash shops that stay clear of any form of pay to win sales - always interfere with gameplay.

There is the case which the OP brings up, that anything offered in the cash shop could have been offered in the form of interesting gameplay instead. ZoS made a pretty good compromise here in the way the new XP boosters are also obtainable ingame - doing something (fishing) which a few people love to do but was previously a worthless endevor. However, mounts, pets and costumes from the cash shop are all lost gameplay opportunities.

The second problem is that with the cash shop there is always a temptation for the company to introduce some new form of grind - and offer a form of "grind reliever" in the shop as "convinience". Arguably the champion system introduction coupled with the XP boosters follows this scheme. And while it does not really hurt the game too much doing this once or twice, if this sort of scheme becomes the "default cash generator" for the company the game naturaly devolves into a massive grindfest which tends to lack any gameplay behind the grind. At that point, the grind has essentially become the focus of the game - and people who pay to lessen or bypass the grind essentially pay to not play the game - since at that point there is barely anything worthwhile to do in the game except to grind more. Most facebook cames follow that scheme, and I could observe how Lord of the Rings Online slowly devolved to this state as well...

The third problem is that generating cash shop items is a lot cheaper than generating gameplay. And as long as people are willing to pay 20$ for a reskin of an already existing mount, it simply makes business sense to generate just enough actual content to keep a fair amount of people playing while pumping out expensive new skins.

Now, I would never call a company "evil" for making a cash-shop centered game - from their perspective doing things this way makes perfect sense. But it is also true that I have yet to see a truly great game which is funded primarily via a cash shop. While games that try to earn most of their money via content-sales (DLCs) usually fare a good bit better then games that try to make most money via selling cosmetics - and both those types are far above the quality of "games" making their money primarily from selling "grind avoiders" - I have yet to see a cash shop centered game where I did not regularly think: "well, if they would fund them selves via a sub, they could have made that better".
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...Orsinium.

Which is, IMO, how the Crown Store should have worked from the beginning.
    Individual content packs that put the content (in this case, a mount) behind a playwall. The content pack is free for subscribers, and behind a paywall for B2P players.

Subscription / Paywall --> Playwall --> Goodie

I see that selling individual mounts for $30 is more lucrative, but this model would have increased the value of the subscription quite a bit and improved the integrity of the game as a whole. Might have been worth it.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • DaveTheMinion
    DaveTheMinion
    ✭✭✭
    I like the idea of doing quests or challenges to obtain mounts, pets or any other booty that makes you go Ooooo but I also like the ability to purchase items for the crown store, by doing this I feel like I am helping keep the game alive by funding further (Yes I bought a subscription) I would hold my head in shame but I am having way too much fun playing this game to care :p

PS I want weapon skins! :p:p:p
    EU PS4 Megaserver
    VR16 Sorc - Daggerfall - Magic Build
    VR16 Nightblade - Daggerfall - Stamina Build

PS4 Guild: Illuminati Gaming for the over 30's is not a myth.
  • F7sus4
    F7sus4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having successfully completed either of these tasks during the encounter you're awarded with an achievement and the mount is unlocked. It sounds like I'm making this relatively easy but remember that I wanted these to be rare encounters, something rare enough that when you see it you'll be shocked and stop everything you're doing in-game.
    - "Aaargh! Molag Bal is ruining the city!"
    - "I don't care. I have a darn horse to rescue!"

:D
  • nine9six
    nine9six
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Throw whatever you want onto the Crown Store, short of "I hit you once and you die" potions...and the like.

I'd rather see houses and other cool *** on there...but I trust you'll get there eventually, that's why I'm still subbed since launch. People lose sight of the fact that this game is *only* 1.something years old. (I know, in "I Want It Now...Internet Years" that's like 10 years....)

...at least that damn Console launch is out of the way.

As for mounts...keep it lore-friendly and it's all gravy. The fire and frost mount...I know, you could "make up some BS" so it fits in some way...but I "lol" to myself every time I see one in-game. Might as well give them that mobility scooter...
    Wake up, we're here. Why are you shaking? Are you ok? Wake up...
  • GTech_1
    GTech_1
    ✭✭✭✭

...Orsinium.
    @ZOS_RichLambert
    Well meaning feedback:
    I may have taken this the wrong way, or this may simply be a minor, and unintentional, PR blunder, but I feel the need to point a few things out here:

Making it "a point to not post in summons threads" seems, at best, counterproductive.
    Forums are for feedback, and ideally, feedback goes both ways.

The term "summons thread" seems dismissive.
    It puts off the air of someone rolling their eyes when a post is directed their way.

Intentionally avoiding questions and threads addressed directly to you seems a bit rude.
    I'm sure we all understand that ZOS devs are busy folks, and that you are likely to be inundated with questions and comments regularly. However, we are also busy folk, and we take our own time, free of charge, to give ZOS our end of the feedback.
    Respect dictates that ZOS should respond in kind.

I don't think anyone expects you to personally pop up out of the woodwork to answer each of these posts.
    You have a support team. You should certainly use it. We only expect you to be human.

Of course, since I have taken note, as you indicated, I don't expect a response to this post.
    I simply wanted to offer my feedback, by making you aware of how these comments can be perceived.

Best of luck in the new position,
    ~GTech_1
  • juliank1990erb16_ESO
    and how is zos going to make moneyz with ur idea?

not gonna happen.

• GTech_1
    GTech_1
    ✭✭✭✭
    To the OP:
    I think you have some very good ideas there. Well done. :)
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anything that adds to the justification of having these mounts in-games I'm all for.
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

not gonna happen.

Either:
    • Quests that open up items in the Crown Store for purchase
    • Crown Store purchases that open up Quests.

Either will work for me.
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • Slurg
    Slurg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Gidorick wrote: »

not gonna happen.

Either:

Either will work for me.

I would add that if they put new pet and mount quests exclusively in the upcoming DLC zones like Orsinium, everyone who has access to those zones already is paying to be there. So it can be a marketing tool to get more players to pay to be in the new zones to earn the new pet/mount. No need to sell it piecemeal when they can sell us the whole zone.
    Happy All the Holidays To You and Yours!
    Remembering better days of less RNG in all the things.
  • Forztr
    Forztr
    ✭✭✭✭
    Athas24 wrote: »
    I don't mind crown store items but the cash shops in games tend to get all the new attention as a way of making coin for the game and the quests/drops and such go away...if they were ever there to begin with. I remember getting rare mounts in SWTOR before they implemented their cash shop. After no new quests dropped ships/mounts or anything like that. Instead all the cool rides and stuff came from the random stupid boxes you bought from the cash shop or from a limited time offer etc from said shop. I doubt we'll see interesting ways of obtaining pets and mounts enter the game, it is going to be in the shop or not at all I'm pretty sure.

This is flat out misinformation about SWTOR.

They've added mounts and pets since launching the cartel store that can be earned in game. One of my characters uses a mount earned from a story mode operation and another uses a mount bought from a reputation vendor both were introduced in the last expansion Shadow of Revan.
  • Beowulf_McCallum
    Beowulf_McCallum
    ✭✭✭

not gonna happen.

Either:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Either will work for me.

THIS is what I came to post.
    As always @Gidorick has his fingers on the pulse of gamers like myself (and MANY others)

take note @zos :wink:
    Edited by Beowulf_McCallum on July 11, 2015 3:43PM
  • J2JMC
    J2JMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anything that adds to the justification of having these mounts in-games I'm all for.

They can literally just say "Sheogorath" for any of their crown store items.
    Knee Jerk, L2P, Obtuse, Casual, Entitled, All The Best, unnecessary mention of CoD

Battle leveling for pve content defeats the idea of progression. Remove CP

"Apparently the players are more informed than we are"-Richard Lambert

• Slurg
    Slurg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

not gonna happen.

Either:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Either will work for me.

THIS is what I came to post.
    As always @Gidorick has his fingers on the pulse of gamers like myself (and MANY others)

take note @zos :wink:

For the record, there are also many players who disagree that the game needs many more crown store microtransactions lurking in every corner of the game. Not every single little thing needs to be monetized. They risk driving many more players away if they start charging for individual quests when they can include it in a larger DLC package.

And now I'll have my own personal moment of silence for my many former guildmates who left the game over this mentality taking over the game.
    Happy All the Holidays To You and Yours!
    Remembering better days of less RNG in all the things.
  • Mario80
    Mario80
    ✭✭
    Wow orsinum... I do not want the bear mount thx
    Also the ice horse is not convenience, convenience will be a normal horse not a flashy one.
    A cool crown store item? The ability to dye and gear a regular horse so it is kind of unique.
    I will never buy the tiger mount, guar, flashy fire snow horse, it just disgust me, I will buy an item that toggle them off (and the pets too) for a normal mount.
    I just bought a 40k horse just for the skin and I got 5000 crowns.
  • Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edited by Darlgon on July 11, 2015 8:37PM
    Power level to CP160 in a week:
    Where is the end game? You just played it.
    Why don't I have 300+ skill points? Because you skipped content along the way.
    Where is new content? Sigh.
  • Plaid13ub17_ESO
    Plaid13ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I want a dairy cow in plate armor as a mount!