Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Q : glass cannons

OzJohnD
OzJohnD
✭✭✭✭
My understanding is that the more base magicka one has the higher the damage is from spells.

I have spent all my attributes into health as I never have problems running out of magicka, however if I respec to put all into base magicka instead of health my survivability will be based on faster kills rather than surviving hits ?

Does this make sense and correct reasoning ?

Context is solo PvE at V10 ... not PvPíng or delving at this stage
Everyone knows the phenomenon of trying to hold your breath underwater - how at first it's alright and you can handle it, and then as it gets closer and closer to the time when you must breathe, how urgent the need becomes, the lust and the hunger to breathe. And then the panic sets in when you begin to think that you won't be able to breathe - and finally, when you take in air and the anxiety subsides...that's what it's like to be a vampire and need blood.

Francis Ford Coppola - BS Dracula: The Film and the Legend

• Shinra
    Shinra
    ✭✭✭
    Well, first the basic numbers. In terms of damage output, 1000 magicka equals ~100 spell power.
    ^^Well, magicka gives quite a lot of extra damage. (Even tho, on set pieces, spell power is more important, of course :) )

That said, survivability doesn't depend so much on your health. Or better said, health won't be able to save you.
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is a common mistake to see magica (or stamina) just as a pool of power to fuel your skills. The size of the pool also matters for the amount of dps those skills do. The reason is that the total amount of magica is a factor in the total amoutn of spelldamage.

So yes, putting more into magica instead of health means you trade health for dps and move more into a glasscanon direction.

Also, health is not so important to survive. Health regen, armor and blocking abillity has a bigger role when it comes to stats. Also dodging, kiting and simply moving around helps a lot in avoiding to get hit (and so avoid healthloss).

So overall, you should never need to have a lot of points in health. I would say on 62 attributepoints it should not be more then 15 (1/4th). The more you invest in other sources (e.g. using more heavy armor instead of light) the less it should be.

however! one last warning.
    don't fall for the min/max trap!

min/max in ESO is considered a bad way to build a toon. The reason is that content is pretty wide and roles are not as clearly defined as in other games. So you end up finding a perfect balance, then you gain access to new content and have to start all over.
    Through me you pass into the city of woe:
    Through me you pass into eternal pain:
    Through me among the people lost for aye.

PC player - EU
  • Chapmaaaan
    Chapmaaaan
    ✭✭
    it's very hard to die solo questing/delving on this game so you're kinda missing out on your 58 (I think) skill points that you could have in magicka. you'd increase your shield absorbs/heals, as well as your damage output if you're a caster. try it out. you can always respec back if you don't get on well with a pure magicka build.
    Turmoil
    previous gamertag - DanielChapman89
  • OzJohnD
    OzJohnD
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks folks, for the 2900 gold I'm now trying all in magicka to see how I go with surviving by killing faster and being more mobile instead of absorbing hits.
    Everyone knows the phenomenon of trying to hold your breath underwater - how at first it's alright and you can handle it, and then as it gets closer and closer to the time when you must breathe, how urgent the need becomes, the lust and the hunger to breathe. And then the panic sets in when you begin to think that you won't be able to breathe - and finally, when you take in air and the anxiety subsides...that's what it's like to be a vampire and need blood.

Francis Ford Coppola - BS Dracula: The Film and the Legend

• Natjur
    Natjur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My templar end game, with 35 points in health, the rest in magic
    I have 2200 spell damage, 30k mana and 20k health (with food buff)

My dark flare hits for 18k crit

My mate templar, end game, with ALL points into magic
    Their dark flare hits for 22k crit but their health is only 14k and sometimes they get one shotted.

So its the balance... they do more damage, but one mistake and they speed a long time on the ground dead and dead = no dps.

Its only end game you have to worry about as normal mobs should never one shot you.
    Edited by Natjur on July 9, 2015 1:57AM