Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

NB DW/Bow. Am I just bad?! (PS4)

Jcamps30
Jcamps30
Hey. I'm new to the game, and got it maybe two days ago. I'm leveling up a Nightblade, DW/Bow combo because I like being a Rogue type player, only level 17 now.
- Are 2x Daggers any good, or should I be looking at the best 1hander//Dagger available and use it?. When I'm leveling with friends I noticed out tank who's Templar does way more damage than me and easily kills mobs no problem. I put all my stats into Stamina.
- Skills I bought
-DW: Killer's blade, Shadowy Disguise, Surprise Attack, Swallow Soul
- Bow: Venom and Volley (Just started using bow last hour or so)

What I'll do is basicaly; Shadowy Disguise>>Surprise Attack>>Heavy Attack 1x >>Killer's Blade.....dead. Sometimes I don't even need Killer's Blade. Am I doing this right?

Off-topic: Is a Ranged Sorc any good?. I do enjoy visual effects and want to make a main Melee DPS (NB) and a ranged in Sorc. Anyone have a good Sorc build?
  • Chaos0720
    Chaos0720
    ✭✭✭
    Hey. I'm new to the game, and got it maybe two days ago. I'm leveling up a Nightblade, DW/Bow combo because I like being a Rogue type player, only level 17 now.
    - Are 2x Daggers any good, or should I be looking at the best 1hander//Dagger available and use it?. When I'm leveling with friends I noticed out tank who's Templar does way more damage than me and easily kills mobs no problem. I put all my stats into Stamina.
    - Skills I bought

What I'll do is basicaly; Shadowy Disguise>>Surprise Attack>>Heavy Attack 1x >>Killer's Blade.....dead. Sometimes I don't even need Killer's Blade. Am I doing this right?

Off-topic: Is a Ranged Sorc any good?. I do enjoy visual effects and want to make a main Melee DPS (NB) and a ranged in Sorc. Anyone have a good Sorc build?

By asking if you are doing it right, you are doing it wrong.

Preference. All you are going to get is opinions. Some will say your using it wrong, some will say that your a cookie cutter. Do what you enjoy. I personally used the bow for about 15 minutes when I reached level 15 and immediately switched to an ice staff. Lol.
  • Jcamps30
    Jcamps30
    Ha yeah. I think I found what my problem was. I was always thinking Surprise Attack was just used to apply a debuff on the target. . Didn't really read that the spell would be regular use in my rotation to hit like a truck.

• Noomfy-Mop
    Noomfy-Mop
    ✭✭
    Never ask if your bad!!
    Some smart a*s will always come back with yes followed by some smart a*s comment.
    I'm surprised you haven't got it yet. You cam close with "if you gotta ask then your doing it wrong".. Lol
    I joke chaos.
    But listen to chaos. It's all personal preference and if your not comfortable with the bow then it might not be for you.
    Same goes with everything. If you want double daggers, try it out.. The worst that can happen is you'll get killed. In which case you simply respawn.
    Best case scenario it's exactly what you want.
    And the middle ground is that you don't like it but at least you've tried and now know.

Good luck and enjoy :D..

Quick question. What alliance are you and where/how are you levelling up??
    2 days and lvl 17.... I've been playing for 2 weeks and only popped 18 today.
    Although I've been trying to divide my game time evenly between ESO, the witcher 3 and planetside 2.. Plus I have the odd round or 2 of BF4..
    To be honest I got a little confused half way through my question because I'd just hit lvl 15 in planetside earlier and was thinking "dam.. He's already higher lvl than me lol" then I remembered that I also hit 18 on ESO later that night.
    And to add to the confusion I hit 26 in the witcher the day before lol

This is my signature.
    Original. Right ;p!
  • Sandshark95
    Sandshark95
    ✭✭✭
    I have a Bow/DW NB and am loving it. Honestly haven't even leveled DW yet, just been using bow exclusively, but plan on going with double daggers for the critical bonuses.

DW does serious damage, especially once you unlock the AoE Steel Tornado (Whirlwind morph). Rapid Strikes (Flurry morph) is also a good spammable ability that you unlock early on. Surprise Attack is an NB favorite; I'd keep it on your bar. Same with Killer's Blade.

You can't compare yourself to a Templar tank. Your leveling experience is different, your abilities are different. DW feels a bit slow in the beginning, but once you reach Whirlwind, you'll be able to do some AoE and you'll feel more comfortable taking out mobs. A lot of NB skills are single-target (as are the early DW skills), so as a lower level NB you have to focus on one enemy at a time. It can get a bit redundant. Be patient.

Bow-wise, some skills and morphs you'll want to acquire and use (if you decide to spend the skill points) :

Poison Arrow, morph to Venom Arrow-- the ranged interrupt is invaluable in every situation, switched from Poison Injection and never looked back. The extra DPS from Injection is hard to pass up though.

Volley, morph to Scorched Earth-- fire over radius, IMO. Don't use it anymore now that I'm nearly maxed in the skill tree, kinda situational (requires enemies don't move around too much or kiting of enemies that do)

Scatter Shot, morph to Magnum Shot-- love this skill. The morph knocks you away, great way to put distance in between you and mobs

Arrow Spray, morph to Bombard-- the other morph is poision damage and poision dot, but I like Bombard's immobilization effect for its ultility.

Snipe (takes a while to get)-- Not sure which morph. Lethal Arrow for PvP definitely, but the other morph sounds enticing for everything else.

Expert Hunter-- Fighters Guild skill tree, rank 6. Bonuses to Weapon Critical.

For both DW and Bow, you're going to want to stack weapon critical rating and chance. Find the Warrior, Thief, or Shadow mundus stone and have one of them active. Warrior = +weapon dmg, Thief = +crit chance, Shadow = +crit dmg

The only thing you're doing "wrong" is comparing your DPS output as a level 17 NB to another player's with a different class/setup. Enjoy the early content, get comfortable with your abilities, find your play style. And no, you're not bad! Keep leveling and keep learning what works best for you.
  • OzJohnD
    OzJohnD
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nightblades are supposed to be bad ... real badass

Everyone knows the phenomenon of trying to hold your breath underwater - how at first it's alright and you can handle it, and then as it gets closer and closer to the time when you must breathe, how urgent the need becomes, the lust and the hunger to breathe. And then the panic sets in when you begin to think that you won't be able to breathe - and finally, when you take in air and the anxiety subsides...that's what it's like to be a vampire and need blood.

Francis Ford Coppola - BS Dracula: The Film and the Legend

• Chaos0720
    Chaos0720
    ✭✭✭
    I have a Bow/DW NB and am loving it. Honestly haven't even leveled DW yet, just been using bow exclusively, but plan on going with double daggers for the critical bonuses.

DW does serious damage, especially once you unlock the AoE Steel Tornado (Whirlwind morph). Rapid Strikes (Flurry morph) is also a good spammable ability that you unlock early on. Surprise Attack is an NB favorite; I'd keep it on your bar. Same with Killer's Blade.

You can't compare yourself to a Templar tank. Your leveling experience is different, your abilities are different. DW feels a bit slow in the beginning, but once you reach Whirlwind, you'll be able to do some AoE and you'll feel more comfortable taking out mobs. A lot of NB skills are single-target (as are the early DW skills), so as a lower level NB you have to focus on one enemy at a time. It can get a bit redundant. Be patient.

Bow-wise, some skills and morphs you'll want to acquire and use (if you decide to spend the skill points) :

Poison Arrow, morph to Venom Arrow-- the ranged interrupt is invaluable in every situation, switched from Poison Injection and never looked back. The extra DPS from Injection is hard to pass up though.

Volley, morph to Scorched Earth-- fire over radius, IMO. Don't use it anymore now that I'm nearly maxed in the skill tree, kinda situational (requires enemies don't move around too much or kiting of enemies that do)

Scatter Shot, morph to Magnum Shot-- love this skill. The morph knocks you away, great way to put distance in between you and mobs

Arrow Spray, morph to Bombard-- the other morph is poision damage and poision dot, but I like Bombard's immobilization effect for its ultility.

Snipe (takes a while to get)-- Not sure which morph. Lethal Arrow for PvP definitely, but the other morph sounds enticing for everything else.

Expert Hunter-- Fighters Guild skill tree, rank 6. Bonuses to Weapon Critical.

For both DW and Bow, you're going to want to stack weapon critical rating and chance. Find the Warrior, Thief, or Shadow mundus stone and have one of them active. Warrior = +weapon dmg, Thief = +crit chance, Shadow = +crit dmg

The only thing you're doing "wrong" is comparing your DPS output as a level 17 NB to another player's with a different class/setup. Enjoy the early content, get comfortable with your abilities, find your play style. And no, you're not bad! Keep leveling and keep learning what works best for you.

I'm quite envious that you are enjoying the bow. That's the set up I was going to use, but I ended up not liking the bow.
  • Sandshark95
    Sandshark95
    ✭✭✭
    @Chaos0720 It's personal preference I suppose. I like different weapons for different reasons. The bow gets so much better once you've morphed a few skills and have a few stuns/AoEs. Early on, spamming Venom Arrow and dropping Scorched Earth while desperately kiting enemies around got boring quick. Now that I have more control over battles and can keep enemies at range, it's more fun.

I also enjoy 2h on a different character-- don't even have it leveled up hardly at all (and I'm not specced into stamina) but it hits like a truck nonetheless.

Dual Wield was fun for the 5 mins I tried it. Would probably like it more with Steel Tornado.
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NB Khajiit DW, and bow as backup weapon.

I put most of my focus on DW because I felt the bow is a bit underpowered, and fires far too slowly, especially for bosses.

When I restarted another character, I focused only one one DW skill (Rapid Strikes) and Assassination. Between these two, the bow is rarely used, except when I need to kite.

I only have Poison Arrow unlocked for my bow, as the kite + poison over time nicks them for a bit before my blades finish the job.

It comes down to personal preference, so try a few things out and see what you like. Don't sweat your skill points. Save about 10k in gold and you can reset them (you won't lose the leveling behind them) so you can focus on what you want if certain skills don't pan out.

For the record: you do not need to unlock each skill to open the next. If you don't want Volley, wait until you get exp in bows to get the next unlock, if that's one you prefer.

I didn't know this, so I thought I'd share. :P
  • Demothrin
    Demothrin
    Soul Shriven
    Consider Death mark it puts a Debuff on the current enemy and if they die while its active you get about a 35% heal you can morph to reapers mark which increases healing to 57% and give a damage bonus on death for 5 seconds
    Edited by Demothrin on July 6, 2015 10:58AM
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    - Skills I bought

My only advice il give you is respec till you find what works for you, I respected like 9 times and I will still respec again ... I love my current set up up but I do get bored.

I went assasin and dual wield down one skill and syphon and bow down another

I'm at VR2 and I'm now looking to swith to sword and board and staff so I'm leting them rank up as I go by having one active of each in my current line up.

As long as you're having fun and enjoying the game you're not doing wrong or being bad