Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Cancel Bow Shot?

Krenthal
Krenthal
✭✭
If this has been discussed, please point me to the thread.

My Gripe: I can't disengage a bow shot once I am laying in wait. I can completely do a 180 degree turn and still hit my target facing the opposite direction.

How can you cancel a power attack with a bow?
  • Caskin
    Caskin
    Soul Shriven
    Yeah this can be a bit annoying. I tend to sprint and that releases the waiting shot.
  • thedudeprt2
    Dodge roll disengages.
  • Krenthal
    Krenthal
    ✭✭
    ahh, IC. nice tip, but, Stealth broken :(
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roll out of it. All ranged weapons in ESO work the same way, they use a "soft lock". Once locked you can face the other way and still hit your target (or being hit).

Dodge roll should cancel a planned power attack ...
    ;-)
  • Krenthal
    Krenthal
    ✭✭
    hmm. not for a bow, just tried it :/
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Krenthal wrote: »
    hmm. not for a bow, just tried it :/
    Dang, i was sure that would work ...
    :(

• driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Quick question, are you in first person or third when you turn 180 degrees? I did the same thing, but it occurs to me, mouse look in first person doesn't actually turn your body. So now I'm wondering if, I don't hit a movement key, it might be releasing like I'm still facing the enemy.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • Krenthal
    Krenthal
    ✭✭
    3rd person
  • Krenthal
    Krenthal
    ✭✭
    ok, 1st person cancels, 3rd doesn't. #theMoreYouKnow
    Edited by Krenthal on April 11, 2014 6:59PM
  • Krenthal
    Krenthal
    ✭✭
    Thanks, Problem solved!
  • Krenthal
    Krenthal
    ✭✭
    tip: you have to release bow the same time you roll
    Edited by Krenthal on April 11, 2014 7:01PM
  • Sue_D_Nim
    Sue_D_Nim
    ✭✭✭
    I asked this a while ago, and somebody gave me a tip: press ALT twice, rapidly. It does cancel my shot. Of course, it also breaks stealth.
    "If danger doesn't find her, she'll seek it out and invite it home to dinner." ~ Prince Naemon
    "Such despair! Richer than a cheese sorbet!" ~ Sheogorath
  • LIQUID741
    LIQUID741
    ✭✭✭
    They need
    Krenthal wrote: »
    Thanks, Problem solved!

Um, no...we shouldnt have to dodge roll or whatever to cancel a bow shot...kinda pathetic really.

Solid-Nightblade of AD
  • Sue_D_Nim
    Sue_D_Nim
    ✭✭✭
    LIQUID741 wrote: »
    Um, no...we shouldnt have to dodge roll or whatever to cancel a bow shot...kinda pathetic really.
    Agreed.

One of the single player games, I've forgotten whether it was Skyrim or Oblivion, didn't have a way to cancel a shot either. That wasn't a problem, though, because you could just shoot the ground at your feet and pick up the arrow without alerting the enemy. Your arrow wasn't a heat-seeking missile that would bend its trajectory in mid-air to find your target even if it was behind you.

ETA: I'm not actually complaining about that magic arrow mechanic; there are times when it's extraordinarily useful. It's just quite an adjustment. The ability to cancel a shot would be a great help.
    Edited by Sue_D_Nim on April 12, 2014 12:19AM
    "If danger doesn't find her, she'll seek it out and invite it home to dinner." ~ Prince Naemon
  • Enteum
    Enteum
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried sheathing your weapon? By pressing "Z"? I haven't tried it so I don't know. It's how I cancel shots in other ES games. Worth a try?
    Asira Avalis - Mage
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    Z doesn't do anything, but shift does...something and cancels. I'm not entirely sure what, you get these swirly trails around your bow.
  • Mephane
    Mephane
    ✭✭✭
    As a bow user myself, I think the soft lock is too forgiving. It should even try to hit the target once you move the crosshair a significant portion of the screen away from an enemy. I find it ridiculous that I can turn my back to an enemy and my character just does a 180 and shoots and hits them anyway.
    Shimond wrote: »
    Z doesn't do anything, but shift does...something and cancels. I'm not entirely sure what, you get these swirly trails around your bow.

Shift engages sprint, and therefore cancels the weapon charge-up. It also breaks stealth, however, so it often is not a viable workaround.
    Edited by Mephane on April 12, 2014 6:51PM
    - Bosmer Nightblade Archer -
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shift does something else though if you don't move with it, there's a graphic effect with bows I don't see with melee weapons or while running.
  • RustyBlades
    RustyBlades
    ✭✭✭
    Try esc or I or some other menu.
  • supaflav
    supaflav
    Bringing up map 'was' working for me last night but today doesn't seem to help - I wish hitting ESC worked - seems so simple
    Edited by supaflav on April 27, 2014 2:21PM
  • Lazarus_Long
    Lazarus_Long
    ✭✭✭
    I just tested this on my archer in 3rd person.

Enter Stealth. Draw the bow with the target sighted. Turn around 180 degrees and take a few steps. Right click to block. You do not break stealth although the bow still shoots in the direction you are now facing.

I hope that helps a bit. Something about this seems broken or incomplete to me. You should be able to cancel any attack that is not instant, IMHO.

EDIT: I just tried again with a few point blank shots and this didn't work unless I took more than a few steps. I guess the soft targeting has a range based mechanic in it as well.
    Edited by Lazarus_Long on April 27, 2014 3:28PM
    The List For Living - A guide for new or troubled players

Hey Jute, get in my bag
    Take a lag spike and make it better
    Remember to let research play its part
    Then you can start to make a sweater

The Bohemian Auction House
  • PBpsy
    PBpsy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The guy that shot the Dolmen guys before they did their thing . I was it :(
    /runs and hides
    Edited by PBpsy on April 27, 2014 5:04PM
    ESO forums achievements
    Proud fanboi
    Elitist jerk
    Troll
    Hater
    Fan of icontested(rainbow colors granted)
  • Sue_D_Nim
    Sue_D_Nim
    ✭✭✭
    I finally gave up on the fiddly workarounds and just got an addon called Cancel Cast. It works for bows as well as spells. I'm happy now.

http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info295-CancelCast.html
  • Nic727
    Nic727
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi,

Sorry for the old topic, but on console it should be possible to cancel by pressing "block" at the same time.