Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

I need your opinion.

Furius
Furius
Soul Shriven
I know that it may sound repetitive as I’ve seen many other posts asking for guidance in choosing a class, but I made such a post because I have not found answers that could satisfy me in those other ones, as what I will be asking is a bit subjective and I would like a veteran perspective so I do not need to reroll later on.

I’m a new player of ESO and recently I’ve played a heavily modded Skyrim. There I created an Imperial that wore heavy armor most of the time and fought with twohandeds, using bow for sniping and some assassinations (with mods to make it viable), light armor for some quest lines (I loved Nightingale Armor), sword and shield for some heavy encounters and completing my fighting prowess with shouts (made more useful too with mods) but rarely using spells (unless when I fancied going spellsword but they were always simple ones like those used in The Witcher game and only when I could not achieve the same effect with shouts). I modified the char to be as tall as nords despite being an Imperial too, as I was not satisfied aesthetically otherwise. I really liked that concept but I haven’t been able to translate it to ESO mechanically wise.

From my experiences with other MMOs I have some gameplay aspirations too. I would like to have strong solo character that could solo all the dungeons that are possible to be soloed like some group ones. In groups I would like to tank or healtank as I have the most experience with these roles and DPS as a secondary aspiration. In PVP my only expectation is to be able to fight without difficulty, but I do not need an overpowered class. And finally I would like to change between these contents without much fuss, only changing gear and skills if possible. I would like to steal a lot too.

Considering that I’ve tested each class in their very early levels and taking notice of my manifested preferences (though I’m prepared to not achieve every one of them), I do humbly ask you the following questions:

1-Which class/race/armor/weapon/resource(stamina or magicka based) combination do you recommend to me? (Only non-sorcerer humans if possible.)

2-Is it worthy to make a dedicated crafter so I can have more spare skillpoints to spend in the main?

3-I have noticed Davon’s Watch has the easiest to access Thieves Guild. Very close to the wayshrine and with no guards to bother me. Is there a similar location in the other factions?

I gladly thank you for any advice given in these matters as they are haunting me for days
  • OzJohnD
    OzJohnD
    ✭✭✭✭
    1) http://deltiasgaming.com/ ... no one can choose your race/class/build for you because only you know your preferred play style, but a guide like this one may help. If you have the Imperial edition you have a bit of extra flexibility as the Imperial race seems to be the preferred starting point for many class types.

2) you will not have any shortage of skill points eventually if you run quest lines that reward with skill points and you collected skyshards ... it will appear slow initially as you will want to skill up your playing abilities before your crafting abilities but eventually you will have enough. Unless you regularly level up a crafter toon you are not going to have enough skill points for a dedicated crafter that does not quest.

3) all significant cities have outlaw hideouts http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Outlaws_Refuges
    Everyone knows the phenomenon of trying to hold your breath underwater - how at first it's alright and you can handle it, and then as it gets closer and closer to the time when you must breathe, how urgent the need becomes, the lust and the hunger to breathe. And then the panic sets in when you begin to think that you won't be able to breathe - and finally, when you take in air and the anxiety subsides...that's what it's like to be a vampire and need blood.

Francis Ford Coppola - BS Dracula: The Film and the Legend

• newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Furius wrote: »
    Id I would like a veteran perspective so I do not need to reroll later on.

Just give that up right now. You will at some point respect your skill morphs, if not all your skills. You will at some point be tempted to roll up another character even if you are sure that will never ever happen.

This is not skyrim; nor is it Morrowind (my great personal tragedy) in order to understand what will work for you, you have to mess around and get your hands dirty.

And be okay with that.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Sandshark95
    Sandshark95
    ✭✭✭
    I understand the desire to plan out everything; I'm the same way! I like to have my endgame in mind before I even begin making a character.

I have characters in all 3 alliances and all classes. I enjoy each for different reasons.

1.) If you're interested in tanking primarily but with the option to do some serious DPS, I'd recommend going with a DragonKnight. As a DK, you'd have access to good crowd control, taunts, AoE, damage shields, and a great self heal. You could go many different routes with this in terms of race and weapons.

Dunmer = fire damage, dual wield experience
    Breton = all about the magicka
    Orc = health, stamina, heavy armor experience
    Redguard = 1h/Shield experience, stamina
    Nord = 2h experience, health, damage mitigation
    Altmer = magicka, destro staff experience, status effect damage
    Imperial = 1h/Shield experience, health + stamina

Note that any race can work with any class, but if you're a min/maxer and racial passives matter more to you than aesthetics, then Orc, Nord, and Imperial are probably the most "tanky", with Imperial likely having the most benefit. Weapon wise, 1h/Shield is most optimal for survivability and the first skill in its skill line is arguably one of the top stamina taunts. 2h is a great secondary for damage; the skill Momentum at the bottom of its tree has a good morph (Rally) for self-heals. Personally, I'd recommend going mostly into magicka (and health of course) over stamina as a DK tank; the best DK skills are magicka based.

If you're interested in heal-tanking, Templar is an excellent choice due to the many healing skills in its skill lines. Again, I'd go magicka over stamina here. Race wise, you might consider Breton or Dark/High elf-- less tanky, but magicka passives. Not necessary for either a DK or a Templar, it just depends on what you prefer. Resto staff+light armor is a good choice if you're focused on healing, otherwise anything will really work for tanking.

2.) At first, dropped/quest items will likely be better than anything you can craft. Once your skill is high enough and you've put a few points into it, crafting really shines. I wouldn't worry about making a dedicated crafter; all of your characters can be skilled in crafting. Skill points are plentiful later on, especially if you go skyshard hunting.

3.) That is debatable. Personally, I feel Davon's Watch is best for stealing weapons/armor for deconstruction (crafting stations are very conveniently located) to level crafting skills fast. For leveling stealing (legerdemain), I actually like Daggerfall; the docks closest to one of the Outlaws Refuge entrances has virtually zero guards, two ships with lots of containers, a lighthouse, and several easy-to-pickpocket NPCs. You hardly have to worry about acquired bounties since you can creep up the side of the hill near the entrance and dash into the refuge. Wayrest (the second major city for Daggerfall Covenant) is my absolute favorite so far for looting runs (bank, castle, inn, relog, repeat). Vulkhel Guard in AD has the advantage of being small and the bonus of having a Dark Anchor right outside the gates that you can hear/see from just about anywhere in the city.

And now I shall end the wall of text :)

Hope that helps. Don't stress too much about it; you can always respec your skills/attributes or just make a new character.
  • Jando
    Jando
    ✭✭✭✭
    1. I think you'd like an imperial Templar
    2. NO
    3. Yes.
    Dear ZoS - Sell us great content at a reasonable price. Stop the Grind!!
  • Furius
    Furius
    Soul Shriven
    Thank you very much for the answers so far, but another issue has been hounding me. In an endgame PVE situation which one of those two classes would have the preference of the group for tanking? I ask this because DKs have the chains for pulling and Templars are so good at healing, and I fear that because of it most groups will require me to heal instead of tanking, as they would prefer a DK.

Another question I have is that as Nords and Argonians have good passives for tanking and Dunmer has so good a synergy with DK, does the Pact have more tanks than the other factions? Is there any faction with a shortage for tanks?

Thank you for the answers.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Endgame?

Depends on how you define it and how long it takes.

For current answers, hark ye to youtube and look at Sypher's and Deltia's videos.

For future answers - flip a coin and then do what you want, as things will change. Things will always change.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Furius
    Furius
    Soul Shriven
    Well, the videos talk a lot about the mechanics, but what I'm asking is about the attitudes of the PVE community regarding these two classes. I would like to roll a Templar but I do not want to have people saying all the time that I need to be the healer instead of being the tank because I have a skill line dedicated for it and my char do not have pulls. If such an attitude is common I will go DK.
    Edited by Furius on July 5, 2015 3:50PM
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    In all seriousness.... why are you worried about what others will think?

You offer to help, or group ... the group members hopefully each share some of what they can do (i.e. does who ever is doing healing use 'blood altar' - what self- heals does everyone who is NOT a healer actually have and use).

If you play as a tank, and control the main boss and make sure he/she/it is not cone of deathing the squishy DPSers then you are doing your job.

If you like the group - then make plans to join up again later, or maybe hang with some guildies and do runs/explore with them.
  • Furius
    Furius
    Soul Shriven
    Yeah, you're right, I'm worrying too much about it. I will roll my Temp and do my job as good as I can. Thank you for the patience mate.
  • Sandshark95
    Sandshark95
    ✭✭✭
    @Furius Don't worry about how other players think you should build your character; if you built your templar as a tank, then your templar's a tank and no one can force you into a healing role. Templars do benefit from having a lot of healing skills, which makes them even more versatile tanks because they can support the group with heals and stay alive themselves. Play the way you want and you can't go wrong.