Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Can someone explain how the moon cycle works?

Desu_Gun_
Desu_Gun_
I really want to become a vampire and do the quest, but can't seem to get them to spawn. I watched a video and the guy said the moon cycle takes 8 irl days to do a full cycle. If that is the case can someone tell me what day the new moon will appear so I can actually find a bloodfiend.
  • Chaos0720
    Chaos0720
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know how accurate this this is, but from my observations, each day is roughly 6 hours real time. In real life a lunar calendar words out to about every 28 days, which fits perfectly with the 6 hours in game. 4 days in game = 1 day irl, 1 week = 28 game days.

That being said, there was a full moon two days ago, so I'm assuming the new moon should be here approximately whenever it gets dark around 12:00pm EST.

Again this is just my estimation and observation, so if anyone else has more accurate info, i won't argue.
  • MerlinGambino
    THE MOON CYCLE DOES NOT MATTER. Anyone who tells you otherwise is lying, or just happened to get bit on whatever moon they're saying is correct. I got bit by bloodfiends on a full moon night and have seen werewolfs on new moon nights, just wait out at the spots at night and hope they spawn.
    MageLife
  • Chaos0720
    Chaos0720
    ✭✭✭
    THE MOON CYCLE DOES NOT MATTER. Anyone who tells you otherwise is lying, or just happened to get bit on whatever moon they're saying is correct. I got bit by bloodfiends on a full moon night and have seen werewolfs on new moon nights, just wait out at the spots at night and hope they spawn.

That didn't answer his question. He asked someone to explain the moon cycles to him.

Nonetheless, that is what I have heard as well. I personally cannot confirm or deny it's validity because I have yet to see a blood fiend or wolf thing spawn outside of the dark ring places. Although I guess I could technically "confirm" that wolves don't always spawn on a full moon.

That being said, I think zenimax missed a real opportunity here. I mean wolves spawning on a full moon, kind of common knowledge in the mythos. They could have also added a solar eclipse mechanic that lasted for 1 in game day each month at which point blood fiends would show up more often on those days.
    Edited by Chaos0720 on July 4, 2015 10:26AM
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭

making claims that the mooncycle doesn't matter is just as foolish as making claims that it does matter. Also calling people liars is a very bad and bald statement.

There are two important things that you first have to note

1: ZOS designed the system so you can't plan on being bitten on purpose. They want it to be a random encounter.
    2: the interest in the cycle only matters when the dissease is rare. So far this only happened on the pc when it first launched and later on the console. There is a huge gap of updates in between, making it totally possible that ZOS changed things.

So instead of calling people liars, maybe show some respect for the fact that they reported thier experiences.
    Your attitude is NOT helping at all. For the community to break this code it is important to be thankfull for those helping.

To the OP
    As said, it is not designed to be bitten on purpose by an npc and pursuing this goal is very hard. It is actually a lot easier to get a bite from another player. Just make sure you don't pay for it. The best method is to join a guild that gives out bites for free and wait your turn.
    Through me you pass into the city of woe:
    Through me you pass into eternal pain:
    Through me among the people lost for aye.

PC player - EU