The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

I'm new to ESO [Did I screw up?]

MisterReem
Hi community. I'm new to ESO. So I didn't pay much attention picking the perfect race from the start as I just found out I geuss?

I love being a sorcerer and I picked the Argonian race with it because I didn't think it would matter. (thought the lizard tail looked good lol)

So I'm an Argonian Sorcerer. Did I totally mess up? Or is this character still worth leveling etc? If so, Could anyone help me out what would be a perfect build for this kind of character?

I'd really appreciate all help,tips or suggestions.
Right now I'm level 48
I've been getting all master explorer achievements, caves, bosses, qeusts throughout the first 5 maps in Ebonheart so it would be a damn shame to have a useless character since I have spent quality time into grinding and completing all maps step by step..

Again, any help, builds, skill three's etc are more than welcome and I'd be very thankfull for the support.
PSN: MisterReem
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless you are doing Trials or 1v1-1vFew in PvP, any Race/Class/Weapon combo can work. In other words, if you ignore PvP, 99% of the game content is yours. You will just have to approach things differently.

With PvP, you would be a great Healer in that world, so that can get you in the game that way. Heck most Sorcerers sport a Healing Staff on their second bar as their self heals are not that good. So, really, your not in weeds or anything. Even in Combat, in a Zerg or massive battle, your going to be just fine, player skill has more to do with success in that area than most anything else. Yes, the Min/Maxers are having a fit over that last statement right now.

The other thing to consider, your going to be rolling more than one character anyway, so don't sweat the details on one.
    Edited by Nestor on June 30, 2015 8:34PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• MisterReem
    Nestor wrote: »
    Unless you are doing Trials or 1v1-1vFew in PvP, any Race/Class/Weapon combo can work. In other words, if you ignore PvP, 99% of the game content is yours. You will just have to approach things differently.

With PvP, you would be a great Healer in that world, so that can get you in the game that way. Heck most Sorcerers sport a Healing Staff on their second bar as their self heals are not that good. So, really, your not in weeds or anything.

The other thing to consider, your going to be rolling more than one character anyway, so don't sweat the details on one.

First of all thank you for your quick reply, awesome!

I tried PVP and got a fair amount of kills. But it feels like I'm missing out on something. So I geuss fighting wouldn't be a good idea with this character? Instead I should be a healer as you mentioned? Problem is I only trained D.Staff since day one. My R.staff is level 0 I think.

Next thing I'm confused about is building this character. Like; With this race I picked and being an sorcerer could I become AOE build? Or a good DPS dealer?

I love the game but there's so many options that I'm kind of lost atm. Same goes for skills. I've been trying to figure out a great AOE build but I'm getting stucked all the time lol.
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just start using your resto staff in groups, dungeons, world bosses, PvP, really anywhere you're playing around a group. Note you don't have to be "grouped" with them, although it helps. You'll start gaining xp for resto staff really fast.
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • MisterReem
    Just start using your resto staff in groups, dungeons, world bosses, PvP, really anywhere you're playing around a group. Note you don't have to be "grouped" with them, although it helps. You'll start gaining xp for resto staff really fast.

Thank you dude. I will do that right away.

So what would be the best build right now for this character if I may ask?

Should I be a group healer and healer in PVP. I thought Templars were the best healers.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MisterReem wrote: »

I tried PVP and got a fair amount of kills. But it feels like I'm missing out on something. So I geuss fighting wouldn't be a good idea with this character? Instead I should be a healer as you mentioned? Problem is I only trained D.Staff since day one. My R.staff is level 0 I think.

Next thing I'm confused about is building this character. Like; With this race I picked and being an sorcerer could I become AOE build? Or a good DPS dealer?

I love the game but there's so many options that I'm kind of lost atm. Same goes for skills. I've been trying to figure out a great AOE build but I'm getting stucked all the time lol.

Yes, there are tons of choices and figuring out which one works for your playstyle is the key. Since you got kills in PvP, then I would say your character is going to do OK in anything you try outside of Trials. And, Trials (3 dungeons in the whole game) are only an issue if your going for the fast time. Me, I just want to finish the thing without a kill.

AoE on a Sorcerer? That's easy. My AoE bar looks like this:

Inner Light
    Boundless Storm or Lightening Flood or Unstable Wall of Elements
    Impulse
    Force Shock or Lightening Flood or Unstable Wall
    Hardened Ward

I prefer Boundless Storm for the increase in speed. I am not sure if it really stacks with Hardened Ward or not (I think it does) but with those two skills up, I never take damage, ever. No need to heal myself, as long as I keep the Ward and Storm up. But I bring up Inner Light, fire up Ward and Storm, wade into the enemies, drop a Flood and fire off Impulse (I forget the name of the Morph, but it is not Pulsar). Everything dies. I can solo Razzaks Wheel with this bar alone, my NB can't do that.

There are a few other combos of AoE you can use too. You just have to remember, your in Light Armor, or you should be with at least 5 pieces, so your squishy. Wear two pieces of Heavy and keep those Shields up. Note, you can just use Hardened Ward if you want something else. I just like the damage I give out with Boundless Storm so I tend to favor it.

• MisterReem

Yes, there are tons of choices and figuring out which one works for your playstyle is the key. Since you got kills in PvP, then I would say your character is going to do OK in anything you try outside of Trials. And, Trials (3 dungeons in the whole game) are only an issue if your going for the fast time. Me, I just want to finish the thing without a kill.

AoE on a Sorcerer? That's easy. My AoE bar looks like this:

Inner Light
    Boundless Storm or Lightening Flood or Unstable Wall of Elements
    Impulse
    Force Shock or Lightening Flood or Unstable Wall
    Hardened Ward

I prefer Boundless Storm for the increase in speed. I am not sure if it really stacks with Hardened Ward or not (I think it does) but with those two skills up, I never take damage, ever. No need to heal myself, as long as I keep the Ward and Storm up. But I bring up Inner Light, fire up Ward and Storm, wade into the enemies, drop a Flood and fire off Impulse (I forget the name of the Morph, but it is not Pulsar). Everything dies. I can solo Razzaks Wheel with this bar alone, my NB can't do that.

There are a few other combos of AoE you can use too. You just have to remember, your in Light Armor, or you should be with at least 5 pieces, so your squishy. Wear two pieces of Heavy and keep those Shields up. Note, you can just use Hardened Ward if you want something else. I just like the damage I give out with Boundless Storm so I tend to favor it.

This is really great feedback, thank you so much! For a moment I thought I wasted my complete character for at least 7 days of full grinding :(. As I mentioned before I love exploring every single map and completing it. That's what I did so far.. Didn't miss a thing and 100% completed all maps I've played so far. So losing that all would've really pissed me off lol.

I'd like to go for this AOE build and skill bar you posted.

My last question(s) to you are how I should setup my attribution points? All in health for AOE build? And should I get magika adds on equipment etc? Maybe some extra info about how to build my equipment?

So far light armor is on level 50 as I wear 7 pieces all the time thinking I was the most notorious sorcerer in the online world lol. So I should go 5 light armor and 2 heavy armor right? This is for good AOE build? Also wich pieces should be light armor and wich ones the heavy armor?

Sorry that I ask so many questions. But I don't want to screw it up more..
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

My last question(s) to you are how I should setup my attribution points? All in health for AOE build? And should I get magika adds on equipment etc? Maybe some extra info about how to build my equipment?

You can always respec your Skill Points and Attributes later, so don't worry about what you spend them in now.

That being said, for a Caster, go all in on Magic. Even to the point of using all Magic Glyphs on your armor. I think I have 10 Att points in Health on my VR14 Caster, and I am thinking about pulling those out to magic. However in PvP, you want a target of 20,000 Health, but you get bonuses for being there, so you don't need 20,000 in PvE to have that in PvP. I have almost 30,000 in magic and it makes a huge difference in the damage I am dealing out. Yes, I am squishy, but I play that way, by staying out of range and keeping shields up.

Yes, going 5 Light/2 Heavy will almost double your armor rating, since light is so weak to begin with. For Armor, I use a Heavy Chest and Helm, others use Legs so they match the chest. I hide the Helm, so that is what I go with. Light armor passives really help a Caster. So does running a 5 Piece Seducer set for Regen/Spell Cost Reduction. Later on, when you unlock the Champ System, you can get more cost reduction and regen.

But, for leveling, you want to go 5/1/1 (L/M/H) so you can level all your armor skills. This way if they change things in the game to make Medium good for casting, then you can go that route. There are some medium armor pieces that are good for Casters later in the game, so keep that in mind.

• rich.magab14a_ESO
    rich.magab14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Hi community. I'm new to ESO. So I didn't pay much attention picking the perfect race from the start as I just found out I geuss?

I love being a sorcerer and I picked the Argonian race with it because I didn't think it would matter. (thought the lizard tail looked good lol)

So I'm an Argonian Sorcerer. Did I totally mess up? Or is this character still worth leveling etc? If so, Could anyone help me out what would be a perfect build for this kind of character?

Right now I'm level 48
    I've been getting all master explorer achievements, caves, bosses, qeusts throughout the first 5 maps in Ebonheart so it would be a damn shame to have a useless character since I have spent quality time into grinding and completing all maps step by step..

Again, any help, builds, skill three's etc are more than welcome and I'd be very thankfull for the support.

Argonian's passives are going to be changing next major update. Depending on how that goes you maybe fine

Loki Ironheart
    Loki Firespitter
    Gattica!!
  • MisterReem

You can always respec your Skill Points and Attributes later, so don't worry about what you spend them in now.

That being said, for a Caster, go all in on Magic. Even to the point of using all Magic Glyphs on your armor. I think I have 10 Att points in Health on my VR14 Caster, and I am thinking about pulling those out to magic. However in PvP, you want a target of 20,000 Health, but you get bonuses for being there, so you don't need 20,000 in PvE to have that in PvP. I have almost 30,000 in magic and it makes a huge difference in the damage I am dealing out. Yes, I am squishy, but I play that way, by staying out of range and keeping shields up.

Yes, going 5 Light/2 Heavy will almost double your armor rating, since light is so weak to begin with. For Armor, I use a Heavy Chest and Helm, others use Legs so they match the chest. I hide the Helm, so that is what I go with. Light armor passives really help a Caster. So does running a 5 Piece Seducer set for Regen/Spell Cost Reduction. Later on, when you unlock the Champ System, you can get more cost reduction and regen.

But, for leveling, you want to go 5/1/1 (L/M/H) so you can level all your armor skills. This way if they change things in the game to make Medium good for casting, then you can go that route. There are some medium armor pieces that are good for Casters later in the game, so keep that in mind.

This info is all great it helps me a lot. Again, thank you so much.

Last but not least. The AOE build. I've seen mutiply threads of people going all health with their attributes. This is something I should go for aswell right? Or like, 40 health 10 magika? I'm talking about PVE of course just for leveling up and farming drops etc.
  • MisterReem

Right now I'm level 48

Argonian's passives are going to be changing next major update. Depending on how that goes you maybe fine

How great would that be haha. I'd be super excited if that is true. Thank you for letting me know (Y)
  • MisterReem
    Alot of skills that have been mentioned above are unable to find for me, The names are all different really besides Impulse
  • pcar944
    pcar944
    ✭✭✭✭
    Alot of skills that have been mentioned above are unable to find for me, The names are all different really besides Impulse

they are morphs of the original skill

inner light is Mage light in mages guild skill tree, once the skill "levels" you will be able to morph it - into a choice of 1 of 2 skills - and 1 is inner light)

the other skills are from summoning and storm calling skill sets listed under dark Magick
    One Tamriel killed PVP

DC Magicka Orc Necromancer climbing those ranks ...
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Last but not least. The AOE build. I've seen mutiply threads of people going all health with their attributes. This is something I should go for aswell right? Or like, 40 health 10 magika? I'm talking about PVE of course just for leveling up and farming drops etc.

Prior to 1.6, we used to go all Health for Attributes, then use Glyphs or Equipment to fill in Magic or Stamina. But that was before all the skills scaled from either Magic or Stamina. Before 1.6 skills scaled from different things. That and Glyphs do not provide as much of a boost as they used to.

Now, a Hybrid build is not near as powerful as a focused build. I do tend to run about 10 points in health on my characters, but I do notice the difference if I go all Magic on my casters. Probably not enough to give up the health cushion. What you want to avoid is mixing Stamina and Magic, go one or the other, even if you put some into Health.

Once you get several hundred points into the Champion System, hybrid builds may become viable again.

• MisterReem
    pcar944 wrote: »

they are morphs of the original skill

inner light is Mage light in mages guild skill tree, once the skill "levels" you will be able to morph it - into a choice of 1 of 2 skills - and 1 is inner light)

the other skills are from summoning and storm calling skill sets listed under dark Magick

Thank you I've found them!

Prior to 1.6, we used to go all Health for Attributes, then use Glyphs or Equipment to fill in Magic or Stamina. But that was before all the skills scaled from either Magic or Stamina. Before 1.6 skills scaled from different things. That and Glyphs do not provide as much of a boost as they used to.

Now, a Hybrid build is not near as powerful as a focused build. I do tend to run about 10 points in health on my characters, but I do notice the difference if I go all Magic on my casters. Probably not enough to give up the health cushion. What you want to avoid is mixing Stamina and Magic, go one or the other, even if you put some into Health.

Once you get several hundred points into the Champion System, hybrid builds may become viable again.

Again, thank you for your help. I've been AOE monsters and it's going very well so your help is superb!
  • F7sus4
    F7sus4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a spellcaster you really want that +x% Max Magicka bonus on Altmer, Breton or Dunmer.
  • MisterReem
    F7sus4 wrote: »
    As a spellcaster you really want that +x% Max Magicka bonus on Altmer, Breton or Dunmer.

Sure thing but I'm argonian so I have to come up with something. Happy that people helped me out here.
  • Visemere
    Visemere
    ✭✭
    F7sus4 wrote: »

Sure thing but I'm argonian so I have to come up with something. Happy that people helped me out here.

as an argonian 1h sheild templar i dps just find, in fact quicker than some sorcs on multiple mobs with my stam build (dps is based on stam) and i take so little damage, honestly i never have to stop to regen, so yes, Argonians are just fine! i also heal like a *** when i need to!
    Visemere - VR16 Argonian Templar - PS4 EU Dagger Fall Covenant
  • Aeeeek
    Aeeeek
    ✭✭
    My Magika Sorc uses Bow, Magnum Shot (Morph of Scattershot) purely for the range control.
    Go Magika or Stamina and look at the other as utility.
    Edited by Aeeeek on July 3, 2015 1:10PM