Maintenance for the week of May 20:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 20
• NA megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• EU megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/658773

disposable gear?

QuebraRegra
QuebraRegra
✭✭✭✭✭
Am I missing something or is all pre VR gear just "disposable"? Gear seems to really only be worthwhile for 3 levels or so then it becomes obsolete in terms of stats, forcing disposal and either crafting or getting a new drop.

Disposable gear is a particularly a problem when I consider my non-craftable set pieces, which are subject to RNG in terms of drops.

Am I missing something? Is there a way to "level-up" a piece of gear? Improving gear only increases it's stats within that level, and is not sustainable in terms of resources. Need a way to 'recreate" a piece of gear and enhance it's materials to make a it level relevant.

Is crafting even worthwhile? It seems far easier to get better drops considering the resources needed for "improving", which again is limited.

Many MMOs before this allowed for leveling gear.

• Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can upgrade the quality of the item (white>Green>Blue>Purple>Gold) which effectively makes it the equivalent of the next level up. (With set items, the effects average out based on all items, though.)

But there is not way to make a VR1 gear become a VR3 gear.

VR sets are good from 3-6 levels, but I wouldn't go beyond that.

When you update, you'll get slightly better AC/SR, better set bonuses (again, slight), and the ability to increase the enchant level to the next tier.

Unless you intend to bank things and hand-me-down to alts, once you cease using a piece of gear, research it for the trait or decon it for the upgrade mats.

You'll weep a little when you do it the first few times, but it gets easier, and your bank spaces will thank you for it.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
    Options
  • traigusb14_ESO2
    traigusb14_ESO2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No you can't level it up...

Some gear only drops at certain levels (or certain places, which can limit its level as well). Some does come back again at higher levels, some does not.

There are a bunch of sets crafted and dropped for use at higher levels... apparently the devs are in the process of doing a rework of set bonuses at the moment too.

Options
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    And Yes, crafting is worthwhile. It can make you $, plus I'd say it's split right about 50/50 between crafted and found set gear being the best in the game.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
    Options
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless you intend to bank things and hand-me-down to alts, once you cease using a piece of gear, research it for the trait or decon it for the upgrade mats.
    agree.gif

Options
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find myself using armor for 8 to 10 levels Pre-VR. Once in VR, I go 2 or 3 ranks for each set of gear.

And, yes Crafting is worth it, but not so much until upper levels. Problem is, it takes so long to become proficient, that you need to start deconning and researching as soon as you can even if your not investing points into the craft lines (other than the research passives for now)
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

Options
  • bertenburnyb16_ESO
    bertenburnyb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lol lvl dropped sets are useless, just save up for end lvl gear
    lvl'ng u can get by by crafting gear every 10 lvls to blue or so
    Haze Ramoran Dunmer Dragonknight Tank/Dps – Smoked-Da-Herb Saxheel Templar Tank/Healer

Red Diamond, Protect us 'til the end (EU EP Thorn)
    Options
  • Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭
    Crafting is definitely worth it. But do not try to "improve" your crafted gear up to legendary while leveling. If you are below level 50, most people won't need anything higher than blue crafted gear (and you can get by just fine with green). The blue and green improvement materials are really pretty easy to come by (and you don't need a lot of them for a 100% chance at successfully upgrading your gear). Save your purples and golds for high veteran ranks where they matter more :)
    Options
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Allyhoo811 wrote: »
    Crafting is definitely worth it. But do not try to "improve" your crafted gear up to legendary while leveling. If you are below level 50, most people won't need anything higher than blue crafted gear (and you can get by just fine with green). The blue and green improvement materials are really pretty easy to come by (and you don't need a lot of them for a 100% chance at successfully upgrading your gear). Save your purples and golds for high veteran ranks where they matter more :)
    This, and unless you're overflowing with purples (which you eventually will be), upgrading to Blue is usually more than sufficient.

The differences in general, are usually fairly minute.

Earn it.

Options
  • MrGhosty
    MrGhosty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't worry about any of the level 1-50 gear to be perfectly frank since your character will level up so quickly. Once you hit veteran ranks your gear will be used for a much longer span of time and is worth improving crafted gear or indeed some that drops in the gold and silver cadwell quest line zones.

Many have asked for the ability to level a piece of gear beyond just improving its stats but I don't know that will ever be a thing. With all that said, have a crafter maxed is absolutely worth it. The gear you craft will be better and best tuned for your build than any random drop (don't forget crafters get set bonus gear while the only place they drop is end game and pvp)

Set bonuses are useful from the beginning of the game to the end, particularly if you enjoy punching above your level. So it is worth the massive time investment to level the crafter and get all of the armor and weapon traits researched. Additionally as long as you've put points into it, you can craft items above your level and make some gold crafting weapons and armors for other players.

Also, put points into improving your deconstruction rate percentage as soon as possible, since almost all the gear you're given as quest rewards is green you have a good chance from breaking your junk down and getting the improvement mats out of it. This should get you plenty of green level mats to improve your leveling gear up to and as you begin to get blue and sometimes purple level gear you can break that down as you get them while leveling. This way when you hit veteran rank and want to make your armor blue or purple (purple is a little expensive and only suggested if you have a good source of the improvement mats) you should already have plenty stockpiled. crafting materials now stack to 200 per type so you could have quite a bit of useful material stocked up for when you need it later.

The other crafting options are just as important, with alchemy you can create your own potions and eventually get four for every one set of materials used, same goes for provisioning ( you will want food for end game) and enchanting can save you some serious gold when it comes time to create your high end enchantments (so long as you've been dutifully harvesting)

so the tl;dr is No you can't level gear, just improve it. Yes crafting is absolutely worthwhile.
    "It is a time of strife and unrest. Armies of revenants and dark spirits manifest in every corner of Tamriel. Winters grow colder and crops fail. Mystics are plagued by nightmares and portents of doom."
    Options
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Am I missing something or is all pre VR gear just "disposable"? Gear seems to really only be worthwhile for 3 levels or so then it becomes obsolete in terms of stats, forcing disposal and either crafting or getting a new drop.

Disposable gear is a particularly a problem when I consider my non-craftable set pieces, which are subject to RNG in terms of drops.

Am I missing something? Is there a way to "level-up" a piece of gear? Improving gear only increases it's stats within that level, and is not sustainable in terms of resources. Need a way to 'recreate" a piece of gear and enhance it's materials to make a it level relevant.

Is crafting even worthwhile? It seems far easier to get better drops considering the resources needed for "improving", which again is limited.

Many MMOs before this allowed for leveling gear.

Your leveling up. Gear in most MMOs is changed out as the character levels. The only difference is in this game we can have set bonus at lower level. It's a fabulous setup we have in ESO.
    Options
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, gear is "disposable" in that as you outlevel it, you will need new gear. And then can sell it, or keep it for an alt, or research traits from it, whatever.

Thus it makes little sense to waste any of your rare tempers to raise the quality of any crafted gear above "green" until you hit V14 I guess...

I tend to use a lot of hand-me-downs on my alts, and it sure does make the alting experience easier to have good sets while you plod along. But in the end, its all gonna be disposed off one way or another once the last alt outgrows the gear... just the way it is in MMOs.

And yes, some games have an option to upgrade the level of your gear as well as the quality. This one does not. Yet. Who knows, they might add something of the sort to the crown store someday... or not. We'll see.
    Personally considering how much "level" is tied to "material"... I wouldn't want to see that sort of thing. I mean, if you have a bronze sword, you can#t make it a steel sword, no matter what you try... well... maybe with sufficiently advanced magic, but it'd seem to me that'd be a waste of effort, enchanting an actual steel sword would have to take a fraction of the power for the same effect, yes? Same thing for turning calcinium swords into voidsteel...
    Options
  • Kahnvik
    Kahnvik
    The crafting system is amazing , even though you will go through gear quickly as you level, it is nice to be able to craft the pieces for set bonuses.
    Options
  • QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm starting to feel like pre VR1 it's a waste to put points into crafting.
    Options
  • Xendyn
    Xendyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm starting to feel like pre VR1 it's a waste to put points into crafting.

Well not really. It takes a looooong time to research all the traits so it's best to start as early as possible. Also all the tempers and possibly rarer style mats you can get from deconning gear (daedra hearts and palladium for example).
    Writs for the consumables, at least, are def worth it and to a lesser degree hirelings.

Fortunately, you don't have to put a Lot of points in to do the basics and get it leveling.
    Lag is ruinin' my 'mershun!
    A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
    There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance - Socrates
    Member of the Old Guard, keepers of the game's history

PC/NA
    Options