Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The tale of an Arcane recruit and the journey through Cyrodiil

afterbirth
I'm curious if anyone would be interested in reading my stories based in Cyrodiil. I left this at a stopping point to see if I should continue or not, so feedback is requested. Thanks everyone.

The last conflict I took part in on the last day of PvP weekend turned out to be one of the best of the day. Daggerfall took a castle from Ebonhart and Arcane claimed it in the name of the Covenant. Once obtained, the Daggerfall forces scatter to stake claim to another keep except a small handful of guild members and me. Repairs started on the outer walls immediately, followed by the inner walls. About 10 minutes after we claim it and barely getting the walls repaired, the small band of Arcane warriors discussed the next course of action. A shout rang out from our eastern scout telling us that Ebonhart had a large force heading our way. As soon as that was mentioned, a large Aldmeri army came over the hill.

With the sun at their backs, the Aldmeri soldiers crashed upon the castle like the waves upon a rock. With wet blood still staining the entire castle and outer lands from the war that barely concluded, the true war was beginning. With enemy swords unsheathed, the war machine began to take form. All 3 factions met up for a massive siege on our castle. Ebonhart on the north side, Aldmeri on the south east with just a few of us left to defend the castle. Numerous trebuchets, catapults, and ballistas surrounded the castle on the north and southeast sides, pounding at the walls attempting to claim what was ours. The eastern most castle that Daggerfall owned was now under full assault with no reinforcements in sight from the west.

The walls were getting hammered while troops were waiting patiently to storm the castle. Rubble from the initial bombardment on the outer wall began to build. The walls were coming down, and coming down fast. Our defenses were failing against the attacks, no matter what we did there was no stopping the enemy at the gates. I wondered to myself, if the battle was one on side it would have been different but the troops inside the castle were stretched thin enough. The call was made to abandon the outer walls and retreat to the keep to set up defenses immediately. Thunderous blow after thunderous blow the walls collapsed under the pressure of every boulder and every arrow from the siege weapons bombarding the outer defensive wall. Finally the wall was breached as the enemy rushed the keep.

All 3 factions fighting for the claim of 1 castle, our castle. We would not give up easily, but the morale of our small force was dwindling and hanging by a thread....
Edited by afterbirth on July 1, 2015 2:32PM
  • HungryHobo
    HungryHobo
    ✭✭✭
    Your name is making me more hungry...
  • arena25
    arena25
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    afterbirth wrote: »
    I'm curious if anyone would be interested in reading my stories based in Cyrodiil. I left this at a stopping point to see if I should continue or not, so feedback is requested. Thanks everyone.

The last conflict I took part in on the last day of PvP weekend turned out to be one of the best of the day. Daggerfall took a castle from Ebonhart and Arcane claimed it in the name of the Covenant. Once obtained, the Daggerfall forces scatter to stake claim to another keep except a small handful of guild members and me. Repairs started on the outer walls immediately, followed by the inner walls. About 10 minutes after we claim it and barely getting the walls repaired, the small band of Arcane warriors discussed the next course of action. A shout rang out from our eastern scout telling us that Ebonhart had a large force heading our way. As soon as that was mentioned, a large Aldmeri army came over the hill. With the sun at their backs, the Aldmeri soldiers crashed upon the castle like the waves upon a rock. With wet blood still staining the entire castle and outer lands from the war that barely concluded, the true war was beginning. With enemy swords unsheathed, the war machine began to take form. All 3 factions met up for a massive siege on our castle. Ebonhart on the north side, Aldmeri on the south east with just a few of us left to defend the castle. Numerous trebuchets, catapults, and ballistas surrounded the castle on the north and southeast sides, pounding at the walls attempting to claim what was ours. The eastern most castle that Daggerfall owned was now under full assault with no reinforcements in sight from the west. The walls were getting hammered while troops were waiting patiently to storm the castle. Rubble from the initial bombardment on the outer wall began to build. The walls were coming down, and coming down fast. Our defenses were failing against the attacks, no matter what we did there was no stopping the enemy at the gates. I wondered to myself, if the battle was one on side it would have been different but the troops inside the castle were stretched thin enough. The call was made to abandon the outer walls and retreat to the keep to set up defenses immediately. Thunderous blow after thunderous blow the walls collapsed under the pressure of every boulder and every arrow from the siege weapons bombarding the outer defensive wall. Finally the wall was breached as the enemy rushed the keep. All 3 factions fighting for the claim of 1 castle, our castle. We would not give up easily, but the morale of our small force was dwindling and hanging by a thread....

I like the story. Continue. May be my reading for tonight.
    HungryHobo wrote: »
    Your name is making me more hungry...

Says the guy whose username is HungryHobo.
    If you can't handle the heat...stay out of the kitchen!
  • PoseidonEvil
    PoseidonEvil
    ✭✭✭
    Then one Lucius Aemilius Magnus of Ebonheart Pact came and re took the castle from the Daggerfall army ^_^

just kidding. good story though. keep going :)
    In-game ID: alchelvly
    Phixeon Maghi -- Breton Healer
    Harrow the Souleater -- Breton Necro Healer
    Krogyle dro-Smoketh -- Orc Stamdk
  • afterbirth
    As Aldmeri and Ebonhart poured over the broken wall fragments that was once the outer walls of Chalman Keep, the few members of Arcane was forced to retreat into the keep. With the castle under attack, any deaths on our side would result in a far spawn with no chance of returning in time.

With soul gems running low and the end inevitable, the option of a full retreat was mentioned. No, we can't turn back. We have come too far. Liberty or death was the only thing in my mind. We made a good defense so far, maybe something would turn the battle in our favor. A prayer was whispered under some of our breaths, even those who take no solace in religion muttered a little prayer that only them and their god could hear. The time had arrived, with the sun setting the fires of war began to spread.

We set up our defenses to begin raining down on the attackers. Aldmeri and Ebonhart, finally realizing this was a three way battle, began to attack each other. This was it, this was the moment we needed to help turn the war. Safely in our keep attacking the massive crowd that turned into a blur, not being able to see who was who, we began raining fire from the heavens. Ballista rounds fired down, scattering the crowd. What was left was a pool of bodies, broken staffs, and bloodied swords. Only one victor came from that skirmish......but it wasn't us.

Ebonhart was broken, with the few soldiers that survived were getting attacked and killed by bands of Aldmeri. It was a beautiful sight, but it was bitter-sweet. With the focus returning to the inner walls, Aldmeri continued their assault. With every shot one of our siege weapons put on them, 4 came at us or the wall. Watching the inner wall strength fail, we knew the end was near. No retreat, no surrender. If death was to come and it most certainly was, it would be a glorious death. One the bards would song about for years, the last stand of Arcane, of Daggerfall, in a country torn apart by war and chaos. By such extreme greed where there are no friends on the battlefields of Cyrodiil, only pain, sorrow, and death. With our small group surviving to this point, we made our peace.

One last boulder fired from a trebuchet brought down the inner wall, and we knew our time was at an end. Just as sudden as they appeared, Aldmeri rushed the top of the keep where we made our final stand. The battle raged on for what seemed like an eternity, all around me lay bodies of friend and foe.

Suddenly darkness over took me, I was alone. No sounds of war horns, no swords clashing, no sound of armor running around in an organized mess. This was it, the sweet grasp of death. There was still fight left in me, I had to continue. For my country, for my alliance, for my guild, but must importantly for the men and women standing at my side at that exact moment. I could not fail them....but death comes for us all. This time, it was my turn. No bargaining, no amount of begging or pleading would work. My allies were slaughtered and the battle for Chalman Keep came to an end.

Aldmeri won the battle, but the war was far from over.
    Edited by afterbirth on July 1, 2015 2:35PM
  • afterbirth
    Then one Lucius Aemilius Magnus of Ebonheart Pact came and re took the castle from the Daggerfall army ^_^

just kidding. good story though. keep going :)

Actually until yesterday Ebonhart hasn't made a big push in Azura on ps4 NA server. Not until yesterday at least, it seemed Ebonhart finally made an appearance. Trust me, it was a great appearance too. If this continues I will write about that battle, without question the most intense so far in my PvP experiences.

I will continue writing if anyone is interested, it's fun for me and I've never done this before. The PvP is that great that I felt the need to show everyone my view. The next story will be about the fall of an emperor and the assault on Brendle Castle if people are interested.
  • JDar
    JDar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    paragraphs might help it's readability
  • FlounderOG
    FlounderOG
    ✭✭✭
    Good stuff. I agree paragraphs would help a LOT though.
    -Daggerfall Covenant (Xbox NA)-
    Haderus Main
    Tavia Guest
  • afterbirth
    Paragraphs, got it. Thanks for the feedback so far everyone.

The Fall of the Emperor and the Siege on Castle Brendle

As I awoke to a another day in Cyrodiil, the sun was shining brightly. The birds were singing a beautiful song and all seemed right in the world. I knew outside was another story, but while laying down I was at peace if only for a moment.

The call went out to muster our forces immediately. I knew the tranquility wouldn't last, but Aldmeri was making a push and one of our outposts was under attack. The location was in a vital spot, if we successfully defended then our continuation of the southern expedition still existed. If the outpost was lost, Aldmeri had almost a direct shot at our scroll. The small outpost must be held at all costs, defeat was not an option here. 18 men and women on horseback gathered outside the gate for the long ride ahead of us. A scout reported in before we left that someone was out there attacking our calvary on the way to the defense of our vital location, so we needed to remain cautious. If one was there, surely he or she couldn't be alone. The possibility of an entire scout regiment existed, and they were killing our soldiers with relative ease.

The decision was made that we would ignore the scout regiment and ride with all haste to the outpost. We would not form a search party to go after these soldiers unless it was unavoidable. The road wasn't long but the environment was treacherous. I've traveled this way before so I knew what looked like a small hill on our side turned into a massive cliff on the other. This particular trip had previously claimed a few unsuspecting soldiers and horses falling to their deaths, so we had not only the environment to be cautious about but the rogue soldiers were still out there.

We set off with complete haste, the guild leader in front with his officers and soldiers right behind. What originally started as a line of calvary through the razor sharp edges of the cliffs turned into a full wedge formation. We made it through the mountain line with close calls, but no casualties. As the wedge formed, I took to the extreme left flank. This has always been my preferred location, as from here the possibility of getting surprised was at a minimum.

We thundered through the now flat terrain with no obstructions to stop our travel, I spotted a soldier in the distance. The positioning he took was a clear indication this was an enemy scout. The word was passed along to the officers, but our objective was still the keep.

While we drew near his location, something struck me with curiosity. He wasn't moving. He stood there like a statue, unwavering with no fear. His armor glistened with royal purple and red. Could it be him? Why would he be all alone and so far out of his territory? I pondered to myself while staring, unable to look away. A cold chill went through my body as our eyes locked on each other's. You hear stories around the campfire of a man who has killed hundreds of soldiers by himself. One officer stationed in northern Cyrodiil mentioned that he personally saw the destruction of a 10 man patrol and rode away in fear. These were just stories right? No man could be that strong, they were stories told around a campfire for a reason. I've faced some of the best Ebonhart and Admeri had to offer with no fear, but this was different. I couldn't shake this feeling of dread, of hopelessness. How could one person change the outcome of a battlefield?

As we got closer and closer all doubt was eliminated. It was him, the emperor of Aldmeri. The one all the stories were about, the one who caused so many soldiers to not return to their homes, the one who made my blood run cold......and he was directly in front of me. Like a lion about to pounce on his prey, the hunger and determination in his eyes burned bright like a thousand candles. My body froze in terror, but my horse carried me closer and closer, not knowing death himself was staring at us.....
    Edited by afterbirth on July 1, 2015 7:15PM