The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Critical surge or Degeneration?

LotusBladedancer
Both seem to be very similar offering near identical bonuses but Critical surge lasts longer, so which should I go for and why?

As always, I am a *** so all advice appreciated :-)
  • LotusBladedancer
    *noobie - not *** hehe (fat fingers on keyboard)
  • OzJohnD
    OzJohnD
    ✭✭✭✭
    Both, ... perhaps

Degeneration is a self heal that ticks, Critical Surge is a self heal that procs on crits .. the heals stack BUT the weapon damage buff does not stack
    Everyone knows the phenomenon of trying to hold your breath underwater - how at first it's alright and you can handle it, and then as it gets closer and closer to the time when you must breathe, how urgent the need becomes, the lust and the hunger to breathe. And then the panic sets in when you begin to think that you won't be able to breathe - and finally, when you take in air and the anxiety subsides...that's what it's like to be a vampire and need blood.

Francis Ford Coppola - BS Dracula: The Film and the Legend

• smacx250
    smacx250
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There have been a number of threads on this subject. I'd suggest searching and reading what people think (though most comparisons I've seen are crit surge vs structured entropy due to the additional health it gives - which means you can stack more magika). I think the short of it is that structured entropy seems to be preferred by most players who have posted on the subject, but there are play styles that may make one prefer crit surge.

Edit: Here is one comparison:

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/152486/power-surge-vs-structured-entropy-1-6-3-detailed-comparison-for-magicka-users/p1
    Edited by smacx250 on June 29, 2015 1:38AM
  • Stalwart385
    Stalwart385
    ✭✭✭✭
    Structured Entropy is generally accepted as the best route because it procs a mage's guild passive that does extra damage to your next attack. You use it right before you drop an ultimate.

Additionally you can spam Structured Entropy for health, it heals on the first tick every time.

Structured Entropy over Degenration because it adds to max health letting you spec more mana. Degeneration doesn't heal for much.
    Edited by Stalwart385 on June 29, 2015 3:06AM