Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Shadow Disguise useful?

LotusBladedancer
I see a lot of Nightblade builds using 'Surprise Attack' without using Shadow Disguise (or the other morph)

Makes me think, do I need Shadow disguise on my Wood elf medium armour wearer (with all the stealth bonuses)? Or is it a 'must' to have 'Shadow disguise' if you want to effectively use Surprise Attack' ?

All advice apreciated

• Trollwut
    Trollwut
    ✭✭✭
    It depends.

If you want to stun an enemy in-fight (again), then you need Shadowy Disguise to let it proc.

Some guys rely on having an opener stun as they attack from stealth, so maybe these few seconds of stun is already enough for them.

Bear in mind that in PvP Shadowy Disguise is not only an offensive ability.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see a lot of Nightblade builds using 'Surprise Attack' without using Shadow Disguise (or the other morph)

Makes me think, do I need Shadow disguise on my Wood elf medium armour wearer (with all the stealth bonuses)? Or is it a 'must' to have 'Shadow disguise' if you want to effectively use Surprise Attack' ?

All advice apreciated

Surprise Attack has its own Critical Buff, and it most effective from Stealth. Note, by Stealth, I mean behind the mob so they do not have you in line of site. You can be to the side, but slightly behind, but if they "see you" flying through the air, then the Stealth bonus to Critical is gone. So, in that case Shadow Disguise can help.

However I use Shadow Disguise in fights in between skills as it gives me a proc on Criticals. Also, there is a passive in the NB line (maybe it's in the Medium Armor line) that gives a boost to Health and maybe Stamina regen when you come out of Stealth, so there is that too.

You will find that a lot of the NB skills are kind of "How do I use this for best effect?" when looking at them by themselves. But, it is when you look at them in combo with other skills and passives, then the benefits get more clear. NB's are the a class that skill synergy is most important.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Zanen
    Zanen
    ✭✭✭
    Disguise is a DPS loss. You're spending a GCD to get a 60ish% damage bonus on the next gcd, and that's assuming you wouldn't have gotten a crit anyway. It's only really useful on openers and pairs better with the bow.

My in-combat crit rate is over 70% and I use shadow, so using SD+SA would result in about 170% damage vs 300+% (on average) for SA+SA.

The only benefit you actually get from being in stealth or cloaked when using SA is the stun. Fear is the superior CC.

Dark cloak is a whole other discussion though, one of my favorite skills in the entire game.
  • chevalierknight
    chevalierknight
    ✭✭✭
    Its great in a 1v1 cat hit what you cant see
  • Celas_Dranacea
    Celas_Dranacea
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dark cloak is better
    A Bosmer Nightblade Werewolf