The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Am I doing this right

leveltic
leveltic
Ok so I'm an imperial Templar who is focusing on healing and having my health high then magic medium then stamina low. I just did my first dungeon as a tank for it was my only option. I tried to get the enemy to focus on me but I died 2 times 1st time was my team retreated and I was well dead the second time was the final boss. When I was fighting the final boss I kept him facing me and running after me then BAM I died after I was resurrected I noticed if I did the special healing power (where you hold L1 and R1) the one on the top of the healer list the boss was doing no damage to me. So the rest of the fight I kept him on me and when he would do his special I did mine after the fight I gained a level and another perk point which gave me 2. I unlocked the second tier of my special which makes it last longer and I put the other point to if I did the special it granted me 2800 extra armor while I'm doing it. So is this good for a tank or am I messing this whole thing up? Thanks
  • leveltic
    leveltic
    Up
    Options
  • leveltic
    leveltic
    Hmmmmm
    Options
  • Donsaucereli
    Your certainly on the right path for tanking. But it does require a bit more depth to get it right, I would suggest when your tanking to always keep your block up (1h and shield) when the boss is indicating an attack. Also keep an eye on any red AOE circles/cones that appear in front and around the boss. This is a heavy attack incoming, definitly dodge roll out of these red areas (LT + A and roll in a direction). And always keep your buff spells active as and when you can as if they are tanking ones that you have pit your skill points in ti then these with give you damage mitigation perks.

Hope this helps,
    Don.
    Options
  • leveltic
    leveltic
    Thanks Don
    Options
  • MageStorm
    MageStorm
    ✭✭
    Hey Leveltic, great question! Tanking can be confusing in ESO as the methods and builds are different to other MMO's.

A basic rundown for a tank build is as follows:
    • Invest all stat points into Stamina, or if you are concerned about health use a ratio of 2 Stamina to every 1 Health point;
    • Blocking key, it will significantly reduce incoming damage but every block will consume Stamina;
    • Try to wear 5 heavy (must have chest, legs, and helm), 1 medium, and 1 light piece of clothing. This will help reduce the damage and also level all three skill lines;
    • Make sure you enchant your gear, its possible to invest all stats into Stamina and use the health enchants on items to make up the shortfall;
    • Your main job as a tank is to control the situation, slow/weaken the enemies, and tank the largest threat only. Its very hard to stay alive if you pull and entire group and taunt all of them; and
    • Having some backup heals is a great idea, but you also have a few ultimates that reduce the incoming damage (30% base reduction from memory), if you feel your healer is doing a great job you might want to look more at mitigation rather than additional healing.

I hope that helps!
    Options
  • PhatGrimReaper
    PhatGrimReaper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MageStorm wrote: »
    • Invest all stat points into Stamina, or if you are concerned about health use a ratio of 2 Stamina to every 1 Health point;

No.... Stamina is for blocking and roll dodging only. I currently run DK and Templar tanks and both are magicka based.
    My DK is v14 and is able to tank all content with all attributes into magicka.

The reason for so much magicka is simple, look at all the skills that are going to keep you alive... Self Heals = Magicka... Blazing Shield = Magicka... Rune Focus = Magicka.

I don't recommend having all Atts into magicka unless you have the gear to support it, but you definitely, 100%, absolutely do not want all of your atts in stam as a templar unless you are stam DPS

Heavy Armor + Sword & Shield + Tonnes of Magicka = Survival
    Fat Grim Reaper - (m)Dragon Knight AR28
    F G R Junior - Templar AR26
    This One Had Name Changed - Nightblade AR19
    Fat Grim Streaker - Sorcerer AR15
    M12-GM - Guardians of the Twelve-GM - Crown Store Heroes - ETU
    RÀGE - R.I.P
    Options
  • leveltic
    leveltic
    Thanks for the responds!!! I don't know what route I want to go I was looking more at a healing tank but I really don't like the heavy armor so I have been wearing medium if I decide to go tank I'll switch the chest,helmet,legs and belt. I just hit level 16 so I know it's not to late to change my mind but right now I'm focusing on 1H and shield -Templar restoration-and that's it. I have 8 points in health 6 in magic and 3 in stamina. I have points in blocking and shield bash and 2 in the sword jab. I have everything in restoration that I could put a point in and the other points are in crafting
    Options
  • PhatGrimReaper
    PhatGrimReaper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To make your levelling more efficient, you should wear at least one piece of each armor type to get them all levelling.

If you do change things up at end game, it may be helpful to already have all armor types maxed.
    Fat Grim Reaper - (m)Dragon Knight AR28
    F G R Junior - Templar AR26
    This One Had Name Changed - Nightblade AR19
    Fat Grim Streaker - Sorcerer AR15
    M12-GM - Guardians of the Twelve-GM - Crown Store Heroes - ETU
    RÀGE - R.I.P
    Options