Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Best min/max race/classes?

Rizzice
Rizzice
Soul Shriven
Just wondering what the best min/max race and class combos are? Are there specific combos that are significantly better in the end game? I just started and I'm having a real hard time deciding what race I want to play as Nightblade. I want to PvP eventually as well.
  • Caesar Tantalia
    Caesar Tantalia
    ✭✭✭
    to many combinations out there - I would strongly suggest 2 things:

1) look for something you have fun with - you may need to reroll a couple of times (say level till 20-ish - not good - reroll - rince and repeat untill you have found something that matches your favorite playstyle.
    2) once you found it - check tamrielfoundry - tons of builds PvP and PvE.
  • Ixtyr
    Ixtyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1) There is no best race/class combination. Anything can be made to work well.

2) That said, you can design your class/race combo to work well for your specific build and playstyle. You like stealthy rogue-type characters? Try running a Stamina Nightblade as a Bosmer or Imperial. Like healing? Try a Healing Templar as an Altmer or Breton. Tanking? Dragonknights as Imperials or Redguards are pretty good.

In my opinion, figure out what your preferred playstyle is first - then pick a class that you think you'll enjoy, as it will probably match that role you want to fulfill, and then finally figure out what race you want to choose. Despite what a lot of people say, race choice is still largely cosmetic, as you can build yourself to do anything on one character if you know what you're doing (I've successfully healed, tanked, and run both magicka and stamina dps builds on my Nightblade at end-game for both PvE and PvP - so it can be done). The min-maxing of your race and (moreso) class can be helpful, but don't put too much stock into it. If you want to play a Bosmer and you want to heal, do it. I have. It works.
    Ixtyr Falavir - Bosmer Nightblade - Daggerfall Covenant
    Reya Falavir - Dunmer Nightblade - Aldmeri Dominion
    Kaylin Falavir - Dunmer Nightblade - Ebonheart Pact
    ---
    Alyna Falavir - Dunmer Dragonknight - Daggerfall Covenant
    Aernah Falavir - Altmer Templar - Daggerfall Covenant
    Aranis Falavir - Bosmer Sorcerer - Daggerfall Covenant
    Aerin Falavir - Bosmer Warden - Daggerfall Covenant
    Rhys Falavir - Orc Sorcerer - Aldmeri Dominion
    Rhiannon Falavir - Altmer Templar - Aldmeri Dominion
    Nenara Falavir - Argonian Warden - Aldmeri Dominion
    Neera Falavir - Orc Warden - Aldmeri Dominion
    ---
    The Ska'vyn Exchange - Guild Master
    Vehemence - Officer
    Nightfighters - Member
    -
    Ømni - Guild Master (Retired)
    ---
    Moderator of /r/elderscrollsonline
  • Rizzice
    Rizzice
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks for the thorough responses. I started as Khajit with Nightblade because of the stealth bonuses.

I think the biggest thing I'm worried about is PvP balance end game. I've heard racials can be significantly noticeable when it comes to that...
  • Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some soft and fuzzy responses there :/

There are certainly some races that will min/max for certain builds. Almost always there is a second race that is a not so far off second. But with the removal of softcaps some races def stick out more than others.

Ever wonder why no one ever says, "you have to pick argonian" but you might hear, "imperial is the best choice for this build"? Because it does make a difference. If your just here for casual fun, sure it doesn't matter. But if your competitive at all you'll wished you picked the right one by end game.

With that said they are tweaking racials in the next update. So the current meta could change anyhow.

Welcome to the forums btw ;)

Edit: Imperial, Redguard are great for stamina NBs
    Edited by Cuyler on June 24, 2015 8:04PM
    Guild: STACK n BURN (gm) PC - NA
    CP 810 18 Maxed Characters:
    "How hard can u guar?" - Rafishul[/spoiler]
  • Rizzice
    Rizzice
    Soul Shriven
    So is there anywhere I can find a list of the best current min/max combos or is it pretty subjective?
  • Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rizzice wrote: »
    So is there anywhere I can find a list of the best current min/max combos or is it pretty subjective?

If you do a search for competitive endgame builds relating to your chosen playstyle, the authors usually recommend the best race for the build.

check out here
    Edited by Cuyler on June 24, 2015 8:10PM
  • UPrime
    UPrime
    ✭✭✭✭
    Here' some info. Yes, some race/class combo are better then others. Most are within a few percent of one another. Gear will make a way bigger impact especially at v14 gold quality. And knowing how to play that build inside an out will make an even bigger impact. a 2% diff in racials isn't going to make or break anything. Somebody that can hit you 2 or 3 times more because of how he plays and survives your attacks is several thousand times more effective then that 2% difference.
  • Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UPrime wrote: »
    Here' some info. Yes, some race/class combo are better then others. Most are within a few percent of one another. Gear will make a way bigger impact especially at v14 gold quality. And knowing how to play that build inside an out will make an even bigger impact. a 2% diff in racials isn't going to make or break anything. Somebody that can hit you 2 or 3 times more because of how he plays and survives your attacks is several thousand times more effective then that 2% difference.

yes obv very true...but if have a choice, I'll always take whatever advantage I can get.
  • Rizzice
    Rizzice
    Soul Shriven
    I've heard someone was able to 1v2 with Imperial DK thanks to passives.. although on paper passives aren't that significant.. aren't the bonuses also amplified by abilities you gain through leveling?
  • Caesar Tantalia
    Caesar Tantalia
    ✭✭✭

As I said before - I really recommend Tamriel Foundry. Their theory crafting section is amazing and will at least give you the opportunity to learn alot about builds, skills, etc.
  • OzJohnD
    OzJohnD
    ✭✭✭✭

As I said before - I really recommend Tamriel Foundry. Their theory crafting section is amazing and will at least give you the opportunity to learn alot about builds, skills, etc.

yes, this ... Tamriel Foundry is a good advanced player source of information
    Everyone knows the phenomenon of trying to hold your breath underwater - how at first it's alright and you can handle it, and then as it gets closer and closer to the time when you must breathe, how urgent the need becomes, the lust and the hunger to breathe. And then the panic sets in when you begin to think that you won't be able to breathe - and finally, when you take in air and the anxiety subsides...that's what it's like to be a vampire and need blood.

Francis Ford Coppola - BS Dracula: The Film and the Legend