Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Veteran Templar Healing Guide

raiderjwardub17_ESO
I noticed that there were only level 10-20 healing guides so I thought I would make a veteran templar healing guide. This video goes over everything you need to know to be a good healer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8Fqlxas-j8

esohead build link:
PvE: http://tinyurl.com/n6rfb97
PvP: http://tinyurl.com/ngs63tp

I updated the PvE and PvP builds.

Edited by raiderjwardub17_ESO on May 18, 2014 12:49AM
  • Greed171
    Greed171
    I think it's great to work on guides like this. I admit I didn't watch your entire video so if you did this a some later point say so, but I really think a guide like this would be best served if you did more than show us your skills and how you use them:

Why did you level those skills? What made honor the dead less appealing to you than Bol?

Do you think the cast time is too much of a hindrance on ritual of rebirth? Why or why not?

Why don't you use more of the resto staff heals?

Tldr: tell us not only what you use and how, but why you chose them over other options.
  • raiderjwardub17_ESO
    If you watched the entire video I went over most of those points, I will admit I didn't really go over the reasoning behind my morphs (I just thought it might get confusing for some).
    -Breath of Life heals a lot more overall than Honor of the Dead, and i don't really run into magicka issues so taking Breath of Life is better.
    -I use more templar healing abilities than I do resto staff heals because templar heals heal a lot more and are a lot more reliable in pvp.
    -The cast time on Ritual of Rebirth isn't that much of an issue in PvE because you should have 2 HoTs on your group practically all the time which gives you enough time to get the cast off. In PvP the cast time can be annoying, that's why I run Illustrious Healing for situations where I can't get a cast off.
    Thanks for the input!
    Edited by raiderjwardub17_ESO on May 16, 2014 8:53PM
  • Greed171
    Greed171
    I got a chance to finish watching the video. You are far more focused on pvp than I so I can see that colors a lot of your thinking.

Are you certain the passive spell crit in resto staff gives healing crit? It specifically says critical damage rather than critical healing or general crit chance which makes me wonder.

On magelight: is crit really worth pursuing? I have neglected it because my experience in other gaming indicated that mana efficiency is paramount and crit just leads to unnecessary overhealing.
    Magelight does look like it's pretty much a free 20% crit, as I often don't feel I use every skill on my bar in most fights.

Which dungeons have you healed in vr?
  • raiderjwardub17_ESO
    -Do you mean the light armor passive crit damage? There aren't any crit passives from restoration staff. I checked into the light armor and the "10% chance for your spells to deal critical damage" goes under the "spell Critical" stat which does increase your chance to critically heal. So I would think that the 10% chance from the light armor would increase your healing crit chance.

-I think maglight is worth having because you are only really using 3-4 of your skills on your bar, there is no need to have 5 skills and an ultimate. The crit from magelight does only affect Mutagen and Ritual of Rebirth I just found out.

• raiderjwardub17_ESO
    I have healed 2/3 v5 dungeons (Spindle and Banished Cells) and PvPed a decent amount.
  • audabon2013
    audabon2013
    ✭✭
    I like your enthusiasm for Templar heals. however, I think you devalue the resto staff a bit much.

resto heals are very mana efficient. and heal for quite a bit. now, speaking from a mostly pve perspective I would say resto is generally stronger than what we bring from burst Templar heals.

a few problems we have with healing currently, some you touched on:

1. auto target heals are too random, and heal npcs and other local garbage targets.

2. crits are not critting the way they should be (see mystborns vids).

a few things I preach as eso healing are:

1. regen is so easy to cap, the value of cost reduction becomes more valuable after regen softcap due to the fact that there is no reduction cap.

2. accordingly, warlock gear is overrated due to having regen enchants.

to note:

you said that the quality of your off set staff doesn't matter, however, the better your weapon damage, the better the resto staff heals are. having a better resto staff is always better, for dps, for the resto heals, for the measley heavy attack final hit heal, etc.

you said you can only stack resto staff illustrious healing 2 times per person, but with fast clicking you can get the fourth one on before the first falls off, not like you need 3 or 4 up at once if you have rapid regen already tickin on groupmates.

you leave out siphon spirit. an excellent ability to be kept on bar2 to keep up on boss. provides a trickle heal and mana.

I have gone from 5/2 light/heavy to 7 pc light for the bonuses for pve. it makes a huge deal I think.

I think you made some great points, though and the quality of the video was good, but a bit long. I did watch it all too. nice that you mention PoTL, and immovable, but I would say also silver bolts is a decent stam dump.

some of my stats:

Breton Templar VR6.

my bases mag 1935 health 1965 stam 1130.

mag regen is 72.

warlock:

I get 49 cost reduction from the jewelry that would be warlock. so for some comparable math..... that gives us 17 regen difference which would yield you 510 mana per minute more than my build regens. if I cast ONLY every 3 seconds I save through reduction roughly 980 mana. I would have to cast every 6 seconds to drop to 490 in savings, roughly. mystborn explains also why reduction is odd because the flat reduction applies first then the % from passives. but wait! warlock would give me 638 mana when (if) I drop below 33% mana.

this does not always occur though. not counting trivial fights where I don't drop below 33% we are then to assume I might be casting more than every 3 seconds; at 2 seconds the savings becomes 1470. this rate is possible with potions and our support dps who uses spear shards.

long story short, warlock is good, but not the only option. some people may find that pushing reduction lends to their style and tastes more.

I also prefer rapid regen over mutagen, since we as Templars can fall back on breath of life. my heals:

rapid regen heals 912 for 121 magicka.
    illustrious 108 x4ticks for 218 mag, stackable 3-4 times.
    breath heals 548 for 295 mag

anyway, its become a TLDR, but I loved your vid because we need more healers chiming in on things. I just wanted to throw out there that resto is quite strong, and with Templar it makes endless healing possibilities no matter what a person likes to use.

keep up the good work!

--aud

• raiderjwardub17_ESO
    Thanks Aud! Now that I think about it, having rapid regeneration would probably be a better morph.
  • Greed171
    Greed171
    I really like rapid regen. And thanks for clarifying on the cloth armor crit. I also think you're probably right about magelight bc I also find that I have a spare skill slot on my healing bar.

My skills are as follows:
    Healing springs: you can get this down 2-3 times on top of itself and it's practically free if you hit all four party members. I don't even remember what the other morph did it was so completely irrelevant compared to springs in my opinion.

Rapid regeneration: very efficient heal over time. I am dubious about the value of mutagen in pve because I find that players other than the tank tend not to get very low unless they stand in the fire, and a hot is almost as good as mutagen in that situation.

Honor the dead: this is my heal to patch the tank up when he fails to block that heavy attack. It's also my emergency heal. It's quite expensive but if you only use it once it completely refunds itself over 8 seconds, which is massive (target must be below 50%). I do a lot of this skill at around 48% life on my tanks.

Purifying ritual: big area small hot with dispel/active for party. It's situational but good for fights where people ate debuffed. Templar heals hit harder inside it.

Magelight?- the fifth skill often winds up being some minor nod to the fact that I occasionally need to deal damage without swapping weapons. Like in the chain phase of vfg 2nd boss. For many fights using it as a free slot for more stats seems awesome.

Ultimate is practiced incantation. I had a hard time choosing between the two but eventually decided that the healing given by extra two seconds would, if nothing else, give me extra time to regen magicka while still healing the group.
  • audabon2013
    audabon2013
    ✭✭
    Pts notes have a general statement about fixing spells that Shouldve been critting.

hope that means we can see our ground heals crit-tick.
  • raiderjwardub17_ESO
    I changed the PvE and PvP builds here are the links:
    PvE: http://tinyurl.com/kp5p28d
    PvP: http://tinyurl.com/ngs63tp

PvE explanation:

First Bar:
    -Breath of Life: A great clutch heal that can save your group easy (careful of the magicka cost)
    -Lingering Ritual: The heal after 8 seconds stacks every time you use it.
    -Rapid Regeneration: Usually your groups health never will drop below 20% health in PvE, so using rapid regeneration is better than Mutagen.
    -Extended Ritual: Allies inside of it are healed 30% more from your Templar heals, nice HoT, and allies can purify.
    -Luminous Sparks: You already have enough heals on your bar, so it doesn't hurt to have some dps. The Activate allies can use is HUGE. They gain 25% stamina and stamina+magicka over 10 seconds, very helpful because they are using blocks/abilities/dodges.
    -Practiced Incantation: This a very powerful AOE heal in combination with your HoTs, your group won't die.
    2nd Bar:
    -Unstoppable: Adds insane amount of amor+spell resistance, can't be cced.
    -Siphon Spirit: Always have this on the boss, gives allies health and magicka back (makes healing easier).
    -Power of the Light: Put this on the boss when you can, helps out with DPS.
    -Channeled Focus (subject to change): If you happen to run into magicka issues, this could help you out. Armor+spell resistance is nice.
    -Reflective Light: If you get a chance this helps out with dps, decent AOE.
    -Solar Disturbance: Helps speed up trash, also the 30% reduction of damage makes healing easier.

For PvE I use 7 pieces of light armor now, instead of the 5 pieces of light armor+2 pieces of heavy armor.
    What do you guys think?
    Edited by raiderjwardub17_ESO on May 17, 2014 8:17PM
  • raiderjwardub17_ESO
    New build is here! With gameplay!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd_WlekdMbo
    Edited by raiderjwardub17_ESO on May 25, 2014 4:14PM
  • raiderjwardub17_ESO
    Follow us on twitch and twitter for more content!
    Twitch:
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ESOIlluminati
  • Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I wonder as to why you aren't using radiant aura in your build? It's an awsome, large radius group buff to health and stamina regen (80%) for about 11 sec. It doesn't ever leave my healing bar. Together with rapid regen and extended ritual you have some nice ongoing heals on your group.

Also, why did you choose power of the light as a heale, and not purifying light? I know the healing pool isn't too big, but the heal ticks itself are quite okay if the tank stays in it. Power of the light just seems misplaced.

I know, nice necro, but this info is still worth commenting on even if OP isn't gonna reply.
    Edited by Koensol on October 13, 2014 7:23AM
  • imolafem
    imolafem
    Really enjoyed reading all of this. I'm considering learning to heal on my VR14 Templar to help out more groups (Right now I tank). Can anyone speak to the vet armor they wear and jewelry and what buffs you use? Drink over food?
  • raiderjwardub17_ESO
    Hey guys! I'm sorry that I left all of your questions unanswered! Now that the game is free to play I'm going to start playing again and make more vidoes!

At 150 subscribers I'm going to do a $20 steam gift card giveaway!
    Sub here!:
    youtube.com/channel/UCrPTz4_szAjByD9YQnneOGg

PS: I'll be uploading a video in the next week or two, anything you guys would like to see in particular?
    Edited by raiderjwardub17_ESO on March 20, 2015 2:59AM
  • Arelya
    Arelya
    Soul Shriven
    Has anything changed since last year in regards to where to spec?