The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

A question about Lycanthropy

Arunei
Arunei
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
Is there anything lore-friendly in the TES world that would prevent someone from being cured of Lycanthropy? In one of the RP Guilds I'm in, there's this character who...ah, dislikes...Lycans. My character is one and it's known to this other person. He's basically threatened to attack if my character refuses to get cured.

So what I'm looking for is something that might make a cure fail. Could the wolf spirit be too powerful to "cast out", as it were? Too tightly interwoven with the afflicted's soul? Prior ties to Oblivion making the ties to Hircine that much stronger and thus harder to sever?

Being a Werewolf wasn't something I originally intended to make into an IC thing for this character, but now it's kinda stuck and I'd rather keep it and have this cool tense dynamic w/o the possible risk of my character constantly being hassled XD. After all, if she agrees to try a cure and it fails, it's not like it's her fault, right?
Character List [RP and PvE]:
Stands-Against-Death: Argonian Magplar Healer - Crafter
Krisiel: Redguard Stamsorc DPS - Literally crazy Werewolf, no like legit insane. She nuts
Kiju Veran: Khajiit Stamblade DPS - Ex-Fighters Guild Suthay who likes to punch things, nicknamed Tinykat
Niralae Elsinal: Altmer Stamsorc DPS - Young Altmer with way too much Magicka
Sarah Lacroix: Breton Magsorc DPS - Fledgling Vampire who drinks too much water
Slondor: Nord Tankblade - TESified verson of Slenderman
Marius Vastino: Imperial <insert role here> - Sarah's apathetic sire who likes to monologue
Delthor Rellenar: Dunmer Magknight DPS - Sarah's ex who's a certified psychopath
Lirawyn Calatare: Altmer Magplar Healer - Traveling performer and bard who's 101% vanilla bean
Gondryn Beldeau: Breton Tankplar - Sarah's Mages Guild mentor and certified badass old person
Gwendolyn Jenelle: Breton Magplar Healer - Friendly healer with a coffee addiction
Soliril Larethian- Altmer Magblade DPS - Blind alchemist who uses animals to see and brews plagues in his spare time
Tevril Rallenar: Dunmer Stamcro DPS - Delthor's "special" younger brother who raises small animals as friends
Celeroth Calatare: Bosmer <insert role here> - Shapeshifting Bosmer with enough sass to fill Valenwood

PC - NA - EP - CP1000+
Avid RPer. Hit me up in-game @Ras_Lei if you're interested in getting together for some arr-pee shenanigans!
  • Pelagius
    Pelagius
    @Arunei Unfortunately there are none really that I can think of that mention a tried and failed werewolf cure. At least none directly documented. However, with some small imagination you could tie together a couple of things that ARE documented that would perhaps make a convincing RP story. I've included a couple of links so that you can choose the most convincing backstory.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Cure_for_Lycanthropy

The Daggerfall game has really interesting story possibilities where you either have to kill a girl to rid yourself of the lycanthropy disease, whereby she is turned into a wereboar and everyone hates you because you are a real jerk for dooming a little girl to a crap life. Or you have to seek out witches who supposedly have the cure. May be good backstory for you. For instance, in the absence of these witches, it would be difficult to obtain a cure. Or perhaps you were unable to locate the little girl to sacrifice in order to achieve your clean bill of health.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Sebastian_Lort

This, (although it may not be exactly the route you want to take because it may encourage your RP friend to try to kill you with a legendary daedric axe) is a story from skyrim about a man who prays for a cure for his daughter's lycanthropy and Clavicus Vile gives him an axe..... Which would seem to imply that, perhaps in some cases death is the only cure.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Wolf_Spirit

Another from skyrim, in order to have yourself cured you have to throw a witch's head in the fire which will separate your wolf spirit from your body, at this time you have to defeat the wolf spirit in order to be cured. However, what is unclear is what would happen if you failed to defeat the wolf spirit... Of course, in game you die. But this would seem to be counter to the wolf spirit's best interest due to the fact that it now has no body to inhabit and has killed its host. What seems more likely to happen is that the cure would simply fail and you would wake up still werewolfy.

These are just a few ideas. You could put together a pretty convincing story from one or all of these sources to help you plead your case and continue your werewolf ways. Best of luck, and let me know how it goes! :smile:
    xbox| HaWkMAN2121
    pc| smit2634
    server| NA
  • crashen17b14_ESO
    crashen17b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    It might also depend on WHO turned you into a werewolf in the first place. In the Aldcroft story arc it took the blood of Faolchu's descendant to cure someone, while in Camlorn it was a whole ordeal to create a mass-market cure. Then you have that whole thing in Kerbol's Hollow, in Bangkorai. You could even claim to have a received a vision from Hircine, informing you that the only cure for your Lycanthropy is death, and there is no escape from his Hunting Grounds. Whether you had such a vision, or if Hircine was being truthful, is entirely up to you. Nothing says your character can't lie to someone else in RP.