The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Krist Returns to Cyrodiil

Krist
Krist
✭✭✭✭
Tamriel was in a state of chaos and corruption also known as the Interregnum. Nibenay and Colovia split apart, and farms, villages, and even highways were in ruin. Boycotting arose. Stealing, pillaging and murdering in towns abounded. Many tried to claim the Imperial throne, and the potential tyrants were slain by the guard. Claims of many kinds brought the worst of battles between neighbors.

This chaos lasted for centuries.

She tended his wounds, when he happened upon their wagon train headed to Cyrodiil. He would not have survived a night, had they not saved him. Her uncle said it was foolish, they knew not where he came from, or who he was. The only saving grace that allowed Uncle Tohmas to feel compassion was that the warrior did wear the armor of the Empire. That and as the maiden pointed out, they were on a foolish journey anyway.

They were told it was foolish to return to a land still mixed in war, not only with other nations, but also with themselves. The Ruby Throne was unoccupied, something the ruling families wished to correct. Worst still, rumor that Molag Bal was now on the Ruby Throne, but she did not know this for a fact. Some rumors said Molag Bal had already won the world of men, and that it was only time before they were all subjected in Coldharbour. Some said that was only lies, possibly stirred by Daedric worshipers, not to be believed at all. Others claimed there was a great necromancer that now sat on the throne, having brought the Deadric Prince himself to knee.

Tohmas found them a farm, grown completely over, and devoid of anyone. No bodies were found. Her uncle was sure it was not invaders that drove them off. The houses were empty, meaning whoever lived here left with their belongings. The neatness of the housing said that it was done in order, of some sort.
A look around the grounds showed that there were no massive graves, though there were a few new ones. They would stay there, a half dozen family members, along with one warrior that was ravished with infection from some fight.

The maiden watched over the warrior, who was all but comatose for the entire journey. She already suspected he was Nord, though he could still be Imperial. His features were not as harsh as most Nords, but he was large and muscular like them. His hair was not braided, and he had no drawings that most Nords tended to wear. It was possible that the Nord killed an Imperial, and took his armor, but the armor seemed made for him, quite perfectly.
She washed him. Fed him liquids, and kept him alive for the 3 week journey. He would wake up some times, speak a little, but usually only mumbles. Her uncle tried to question him one time, as to who he was, but he seemed to not understand, and eventually slept more. Now though, she was pretty sure he did understand.

"You are with me and my family, in Cyrodiil," she said, offering a friendly smile. "We have come home, and brought you with us."
"Who are you," the man asked, looking at her pretty, friendly face.
"I am Holly," she said. "And you are safe."

beautiful-betty-albert-lynch.jpg

Edited by Krist on May 22, 2015 5:34PM
"Krist the Lionheart? No. Lionheart was my dog" -Krist
"Darling, if looks were everything, I would be king of the world" -Luke
"That place, between day and night, that purple color just before dark, that is where you will find me"- Hughe
  • Krist
    Krist
    ✭✭✭✭
    Krist was surprised to learn that he had been in and out of consciousness for near a month, and could only thank the eight that he actually survived. A few weeks had passed, as Holly and her family worked on the farm they came across. He was not exactly pleased to find that he was in Cyrodiil again, a place he never planned on returning. Still, he would not criticize the family that took him in, and saved his life. They were, in his eyes, a bit foolish to come back to this land that is in turmoil, but then again, home was home, and this was their home.

"You are up," Holly said, a bright smile on her pretty face. "How are you feeling?"
    "I have my legs again. How are things," he asked, walking out of the farm house and looking about.
    He had no way of knowing how bad of condition the land was in before, very over grown as if the owners had been gone for months. Now, the land was looking cleared, even as he could see some of the men fixing up the barn.
    "As you can see, things are well under way," she offered, proud that her family got so much done in so little time. Her uncle, and her younger cousins were hard workers, and was putting the land back to use.
    Krist knew Tohmas by name, but did not know his sons except that at times they poked their heads in to his room to call for Holly, and some times offering him a smile.
    Krist was in a simple cotton shirt, with cotton britches. Holly followed his eyes down to his bare feet, as Krist wiggle his toes.
    "You need boots," she said matter of factly.
    Krist nodded, they both knew he could not wear his steel armored boots around the farm. They were meant for battles, but not for every day wear. His own riding boots and clothes were still packed in the village that he fled when he was wounded in battle. After killing the Nord warrior Red, leader of a group of bandits that took the small village over, he left quickly before his men would convince each other that they needed to kill him. The screams of Red's woman no doubt was spurring some emotions in the others.
    "Garin was closest to your size, but we have no boots for you. I am working on some shoes for you though, and will be done with them this afternoon. You can't help them out yet anyway."
    Krist nodded, assuming Garin was one of her cousins. The pain in his chest and side told him she was right. He did not have the strength yet to do much, but he could feel his strength returning all the same.
    "What part of Cyrodiil are we in," he asked, looking into Holly's eyes.
    "North, almost directly south of the border of Morrowind and Skyrim," she said. "You can't leave yet."
    Holly blushed at the blurt, and looked down.
    "I mean, you cant leave yet because you are not strong enough yet."
    Krist looked the maiden over. She was, of course, right.
    "I will assist the men folk as soon as I can to help your family get started, but I have to return to Morrowind first, then I will be going to Skyrim."
    Holly nodded.
    "I am from Skyrim, and I need to go back home," he explained.
    "Of course you do. Can I ask though, where did you get that armor?"
    Krist looked at her a moment, then realized they probably were very curious. How he came to own the armor would tell them who he was to them.
    "I will tell you that, let us go in, I need to sit."
    "That place, between day and night, that purple color just before dark, that is where you will find me"- Hughe
  • Krist
    Krist
    ✭✭✭✭
    In 2E 572 Ada'Soom was responsible for the sacking of Windhelm whilst in Skyrim, and only the Palace of the Kings was left undestroyed, although it was heavily damaged. During this battle, the Queen, Mabjaarn Flame-Hair, and her short-lived successor, Princess Nurnhilde, were killed.

Southport.jpg

When Ada'Soom attacked Windhelm, I was at home with my family in the White Run province. We were farmers, much like you and your family I suppose. Jorunn, the Skald King, was in Riften when the Akaviri attacked Skyrim. He fought his way up the western coast, and arrived just as the Akaviri entered Windhelm. King Jorunn joined the battle in the city, but he was too late to save the city...or his mother and sister. The Akaviri moved on, and word had it that they were headed to Riften. My cousin and I heard of this as a bard was passing through, and like good Nords, we grabbed our swords and headed to Riften. Idealist, and both Nord through and through, we were going to save Skyrim, even if we had to do it alone. We ran into no trouble, all the way to Riften, and took up garrison with the other Nords who were ready to defend Riften with their lives.
    It was there that I saw the legendary king, Wulfharth. Majestic and powerful, he inspired all of us to prepare to utterly and completely destroy our marching enemy. In the days to come, when scouts were reporting the nearing of the Akaviri, we were all worked up, and ready for them.
    They never came. Rumor had it that they were attacking other parts of Skyrim. Some said they were surely sacking our own lands, as we sat in Riften. I began to worry of my own family, wondering if they were in the path of this great army. I am sure others were wondering the same thing.
    You can imagine the relief we all felt when scouts reported that the Akaviri chose to bypass us, perhaps having heard of King Wulfharth aiding the Skald King Jorunn. Who could know? Maybe they never intended to attack Riften, and it was all a ruse to gain quick passage and move on. I was only foot soldier, and we would only hear what our commanders thought we needed to know. Quite understandable.
    Whether on purpose, or whether by accident, the Akaviri left a very dangerous enemy on their back. When we got the orders to pursue, the cheers were so loud that it left us near deaf and hoarse for a full day. We did not mind. We came to Riften for a fight, and was denied that fight. Now though, we were going to track and kill our enemy, and show them why Nords were not to be trifled with.

"You speak well for a Nord," Holly said, something of a smile on her face.
    "My mother was from Cyrodiil," Krist replied, a nod of thanks for the compliment.
    "I am sorry to interrupt you, please continue," Holly said, sitting back and listening.
    6f6f42fc5d0776b7bd89969c00707cc8.jpg

King Jorunn led his army after the Akaviri into Morrowind, and us with them. We came upon Ada'Soom's army in Stonefalls and we assisted an army of Dunmer led by the Tribunal Almalexia in battle with the Akaviri. When some Argonians arrived, we pushed the Akaviri into the ocean, where they were either slaughtered or drowned. A rage had overcome me and my cousin, and we barely even remember the end of the battle. We lost many comrades, but my cousin and I lived.
    We were all offered service in the king's army, however, my cousin and I only wished return to White Run, and to our fields, and to our other friends. Skyrim, and our queen, Mabjaarn Flame-Hair, was avenged.
    In the end my cousin was able to go back to our normal life. To my father's disappointment, I could not. I wanted to learn, and I wanted to serve. We did not know much of what was happening in Cyrodiil, but I knew my mother's family was from there. My father became angry, and told me I was acting foolish. I then vowed I would go to Cyrodiil and serve the Imperial Army directly.

"That is how you came to own the armor," Holly offered, as Krist grew a bit silent, seeming to forget that he was telling the story, and instead, lost in thought.
    "Yes, that is how I came by my armor. Imperials are well versed in crafting for war," Krist nodded.
    "What happened?"

OB-place-Imperial_City.jpg

As you know, now, there were many nefarious things at work in the White Gold Tower. Something that, as a lowly soldier, I did not know. When daedric began to stream out, when we started to see our own dead soldiers marching with us, many of us knew something horrible was afoot. Then the explosion occurred, and chaos came to Cyrodiil, and we later learned, all of Tamrial.
    Those of us that could not fathom marching beside the daedric and the dead, left. I am now a deserter of Cyrodiil. Have no fear, I doubt they are after any of us, with everything occurring. My name means nothing to them, and the commanders that remained are no doubt undead by now.

story-heading.jpg

Holly frowned with deep concern, as he finished his tale.
    "Why didn't you go home," she asked.
    "I did. Terrible earthquakes had struck Skyrim, and my home was destroyed. The land apparently released some fumes and gasses, because the lush land I knew was putrid, and smelled of rotten eggs. My family was gone. The few that remained were so caught up in their own worries that they did not know who went where. My family probably assume me dead. Why would they not? The rumors said that no one in Cyrodiil lived. Of course we know that is not true, but they had no reason to doubt it."
    Holly nodded understanding. She could see this deeply bothered the Nord, and she offered a smile, placing her hand on his chest.
    "You have a family here. They have been concerned for you, and will be happy to see you at the supper table tonight. My Aunt is a wonderful cook, and you will be very pleased with her cooking."
    Edited by Krist on May 22, 2015 11:47PM
  • Krist
    Krist
    ✭✭✭✭
    Krist began to grow stronger, and was soon able to help the family with the land. He worried some about the owners of the property returning, to find a family living in their house and working their land. Uncle Tohmas, as he insisted Krist call him, was not worried. He said if they did return, they would take some supplies, and leave the land to the previous owners. They could even work on an agreement to possibly share the land, since there was so much to spare.
    Holly's cousin ranged from 12 to 16, apparently their mother giving birth for four years in a row. They were, from youngest to oldest, Tihb, Horacio, Garin and Tohm. All four worked hard on the farm to help their father, yet they had very different personalities. Krist found out that Holly's parents had died when she was young, and her aunt and uncle raised her from a toddler.

"So Aunt Bith is my mother's sister. They have treated me like their own, but never let me forget who my parents were. I hardly remember them myself, but I know so much of them from Uncle Tohmas and Aunt Bith," she had told Krist.
    Krist just nodded a bit.
    "So who are your parents," she finally asked.
    "My father is Bram, my mother is Kristana. Lindor. I am Krist Lindor."
    "You were named after your mother then," she said, bringing a frown to Krist.
    "I did not mean that as an insult," she quickly corrected. Krist was, after all, a Nord. A Nord would have taken their father's name if any.
    "No worries. My father said he wanted to name me after the one thing he loved more than anything. It probably does not mean much to Imperials, but I am an only child. Their first child, and of course now their last. To have named me after my mother was a sign of deep, well, you know," Krist said, blushing slightly.
    "Love," Holly finished. Krist was well spoken, and apparently educated, but he was Nord. There were some things Nords just had problems with discussing.

Krist poured some water over his head, the sun being hotter here than he remembered. The fences were up, and would keep wandering wild herds out of the fields. Soon they would have to find some live stock though. They could not settle and continue to hunt the land.
    Uncle Tohmas and his boys would maintain the fields now. Krist figured it was a good time to start scouting the area for them, and finding out who their neighbors were, if any. Many had evacuated Cyrodiil, but some would have remained. Some good people, but also some that weren't good.
    Worse still, he needed to know if they were in the middle of any marching lines of undead and daedric. So far so good, and he could not find any signs of an army passing through the area. If the family that left before took time to pack their things, then they did not flee an army. Still, it paid to be sure.
    There was a tree line that almost enclosed the farm, keeping it from sight for a distance, but also making it hard to see around. The White Gold Tower was to the North West of them, with Black Marsh to their back, and Morrowind to their North East. That was not a bad spot, as NO ONE was trying to push into the Black Marsh. At least Krist could not imagine anyone being that foolish. The Argonians on the other hand would not be trying to leave their swamps either. They were a people who actually preferred to be left alone. It just seemed no one ever left them alone.

"I will be gone a few days, insuring this area is really safe," Krist told them at supper. Tohmas just nodded, understanding completely. The boys all wanted to go with him, but they needed to stay and help with the field.
    "Krist, I dont think you are ready yet to go," Aunt Bith said, a deep look of concern. Apparently the family had really grown to like him.
    "Leave him alone dear," was all Tohmas said.
    Holly excused herself, and left the table.
    Tohmas looked at Krist a moment.
    "Be careful. You will run into all sorts, as you know. Dont trust any, and dont think that just because they wear an Imperial suit of armor they will be okay with you. They leave us be, for the most part. Many groups just bypassed us when we were coming here. We hid your armor under the wagon so they did not know you were military, and paid some to just move on. It is a civil war, with outsiders coming to make their claims as well. It is chaos, with the Daedric fueling it."
    Krist understood all too well. As a Fighter's Guild member, he had fought many times to close the gates to Coldharbour.
    "I will be back in a few days," Krist assured.
    "I know, but you best go make sure Holly knows," Uncle Tohmas smiled, then went back to eating.
    Edited by Krist on September 24, 2015 2:44AM
  • Krist
    Krist
    ✭✭✭✭
    Clouds_of_Cyrodiil_by_Heronymous.jpg

Cyrodiil is the second largest country in Tamriel with an area of roughly 162'300 sq. miles, it is mostly an expanse of forest and mountains. Its heart, the Nibenay Valley, is a vast plain, enclosed by equatorial rain forests.

Krist found Holly out on the porch, the shadows growing long as the sun began to set. The crickets and frogs were starting to make their presence known, as if sounding off one final chorus before night fall.
    "You seem upset," Krist offered awkwardly.
    Holly looked up to him from the chair she was sitting on, and rolled her eyes, looking back to the sun rays finding their way through the treeline.
    Krist's eyes just followed her's, and for a moment neither said anything.
    "We saved your life," Holly finally said, still not looking to Krist.
    "Yes, I suppose you did," Krist offered, leaning against one of the porch supports.
    "You're just going to run off, aren't you. Just run off and not look back," she said, a deep frown on her pretty face.
    "I am not running off," Krist said, looking down to her. "Why would I just run off?"
    "Why wouldn't you," she said low. "You are some kind of knight, an adventurer, not a farmer. Sure, you know your way around the plow and the hammer, but you aren't taken to it like my uncle and the boys. It bores you, and I see you looking off in the distance as if there is something else out there. Maybe, someone else."
    Krist smiled a bit at that, thinking of his room in the cathedral, all alone. Joining the Fighter's Guild for some companions, and finding himself, more often than not, alone.
    "Trust me when I tell you, there is no one else. Unless I can find my family. Even then, I just need to know if they are safe. I have no desire to join them wherever they are."
    "Then you aren't leaving," she asked, looking at his face as if to discern whether he was telling the truth or not.
    "I didn't say that either," Krist said, looking away from her.
    "Then what are you saying Krist Lindor," she asked.
    "I am saying I have to return to Morrowind, VVardenfell to be exact. When you found me I had fulfilled a contract for the Fighter's Guild. I brought a very dangerous man to justice, and he almost killed me for it. I have to turn the contract in."
    "So it is so you can get paid? Don't worry about that, we have plenty here, and Uncle Tohmas is glad to have you," Holly smiled, thinking she understood.
    "It isn't that. I am a knight, and I must turn in my contract. The pay has nothing to do with it. I have sworn an oath to the Fighter's Guild when I joined, and it has to be fulfilled. The guild itself is in a bit of turmoil, and has pledged to stop Molag Bal from gaining hold of Tamriel. The guild is trying to build up funds to keep us equipped and ready," Krist said, turning back to the tree line. "His gates are opening everywhere, no place is safe from the Daedra."
    Holly thought a moment in silence.
    "Then to Skyrim you said. To find your family?" She asked.
    "No. To Skyrim to see how it fairs. I will report to the Guild Hall there, and see how I am needed."
    "And us?"
    Krist looked to her, and saw the tears beginning to well. It was a fair question. As she pointed out, they did save his life. In fact, she saved his life.
    "I will scout the area for a few weeks. I will determine if you will be safe here or not. If not, we will move somewhere else that is safe. If you are, then I will leave. I dont know when I will be back, though I will try and check on you," he assured her.
    "Like you did your family," she said, but regretted it the moment she said it. A deep frown creased Krist's lips, and she knew she had hurt him. He said nothing as he turned and walked away.
    Holly could not tell why she did not apologize. Maybe she was just too angry that he would just up and leave. Maybe she just wanted to hurt him like she was hurting.
    For that matter, she could not explain why she was feeling like she felt. A broken man she mended back to health should not be having such an effect on her.
    Still.
  • Krist
    Krist
    ✭✭✭✭
    om7jn2E.jpg

Krist was about a two day ride out when he saw the movement near the cave. He was not sure at first, with the sun setting low it dragged the shadows out long. Then he saw a shadow move, and he knew it was someone, or something.
    Krist climbed down from his tall Imperial horse. While a beautiful steed, it's white color made it very noticeable. He gave it enough reigns to eat, fastening the rest on the saddle. It would not wander far. It was well trained for battle and war. If he did stay gone too long, it would head back to the farm house, the last place it was kept.

Krist approached slowly, but saw nothing. It could easily be someone simply seeking shelter in the cave for the night. Krist was not in armor, allowing him to move more quiet. His dark blue shirt and black britches also helped him blend with the shadows some, though his blonde hair did not. The warrior took his time reaching the entrance, with many moments having passed. He was in no hurry, and the sun had set below the horizon. While still not completely dark, the shadows offered far more hiding potential than before. He was not a sneak, not as good as some he knew.

Krist heard someone talking as he got close to the mouth of the cave. He could see the flickering light of a new fire. Krist crouched for a moment, listening.
    "I said you can come on in, I know you are out there. I aint about fighting no one tonight," the man said.
    Krist realized he was talking to him.

• Krist
    Krist
    ✭✭✭✭
    digital_art_vampire_06_details2.jpg
    These vampires were corpses, who went out of their graves at night to suck the blood of the living, either at their throats or stomachs, after which they returned to their cemeteries. The persons so sucked waned, grew pale, and fell into consumption; while the sucking corpses grew fat, got rosy, and enjoyed an excellent appetite.

"Vampires down there," the older man said. He was well armed, mostly silver blades, along with a crossbow and bolts.
    Krist looked into the deep of the cave.
    "Then why are you camped here. It is almost dark," Krist asked, then looked to the camper.
    "I am going to kill them," he simply replied.

They came out quickly, two attacking before Krist realized they were even under attack. He had only met the man a few moments before, the man explaining to him that the four vampires were trying to start a new nest in the area, and he would not allow it.
    Krist deflected a blow with his bastardsword, then kicked the creature in the stomach. It hardly phased it, bearing it's teeth at the knight, then slicing at him with it's long nails. Krist was able to dodge the attack, then stuck his blade deep into the creatures chest.
    Or at least where the chest should have been. His blade only found air, leaving Krist to look around for his quarry.
    Krist ducked down instinctively, and felt the air from the slash of the vampires hand, then he felt the blood magic hit him, draining his strength.
    Krist's knees became weak as he felt his life draining. There was not much he could do, it felt as if his sword weighed a ton. Krist whispered a word, and the sword came to life, blazing with fire. With what strength he had left, Krist drove his sword into the chest of the creature.
    "A gift from a friend," Krist said, feeling his vitality returning. "And she hates vampires."
    Krist sliced the head off of his opponent, even as the older man came to help him.
    "Well, that is quite a sword," the man said, backing up a step or two.
    "Don't worry, it is not Daedric," Krist said, sure the man was worried it may be cursed.
    "Good," the old man smiled, "you can put it away, this is over."
    Krist killed one vampire, the man killed 3 in just as much time.
    Krist watched the old man look the bodies over, then he sat down by the fire.
    "Maybe more will come," the old man said, hopeful.
  • Krist
    Krist
    ✭✭✭✭
    "Naw boy, I dont think you understand. My affinity for vampires goes back only a few years," the old man smiled a bit.
    "Are you a part of some kind of guild?"
    "Not at all," he said, running at and all together as one word. "I am solo, well, unless or until someone like you shows up and decides to take a wack at them with me."
    Krist smiled and the old man chuckled a bit. The two sat at a fire having just ate their mid meal together.
    "You got skill with that sword, but as you know, fighting vamps aint exactly a sword match."
    Krist nodded, knowingly.
    "Daedric don't seem to play by the rules of combat either," Krist added. The old man didn't say too much to that, just nodded along.
    "Why the hate for vampires particularly," Krist asked, after some silence and sipping of wine.
    "Killed my family. All of them, the entire pack. Man, woman, child, didn't make a difference to them."
    Krist sighed and shook his head, feeling sorrow for the man, hardly able to even imagine.
    "Many got the same story son, many. Too many."
    "Vampires, Werewolves, Deadric. Where does it all end," Krist asked, shaking his head.
    "You forgot one group there. People. What makes them better? Look around you boy, this problem would not have been a problem if it weren't for people. Humans, elves, orcs. Why are they different?"
    Krist thought that one over a bit, and the old man was right.
    "Molag Bal wants Nirn. People want Oblivion. They all want power. You ever fight in this war?" He asked Krist, but was not accusing or pointing a finger.
    Krist nodded a bit, apparently not too pleased with his own part in it.
    "And what was you fighting for? What would have happened if you just walked away and let whoever sit on the Ruby Throne? The Elves will enslave the Humans? The Humans will enslave the Orcs? The Argonians will enslave the Khajit? Or if no one fights, the Daedric will enslave us all? Not sure where the difference is."
    The old man made perfect sense.
    "So what do you think should happen?" Krist asked, and brought a laugh from the old man.
    "Now that is the question we all have to ask, but not of others, of ourselves," the old man winked and got up.
    "I made a withdrawal, now time to make a deposit," he offered, heading for privacy.
    Krist nodded, watching him walk away, then turned his eyes back to the fire.
  • Krist
    Krist
    ✭✭✭✭
    Krist rode with the old man for a while, but one morning found him gone. Just like that. They had not found anymore vampires, though he seemed sure there were more about. He had told Krist his name was Athanius, but did not offer further where he was from. He was Imperial, there was no doubt to that, but very country, much like Krist, in his remarks and language, telling Krist he was not from the city itself. He divulged no more information about himself, and Krist respected that by not asking. Fact was, Krist did not offer much of is own story, except that he was from Skyrim but fought for the Empire for a short time.

The next few days were hot and humid, but aside from a small village that appeared to be doing quite well, Krist did not run into many folks. Holly and her family would be safe, so it seemed. Something had changed, as the amount of undead he had seen in the past had somehow diminished.
    Was the Worm King dead? He was not sure, but one could only hope. That did not end the war, but a war of men was preferable to undead and Daedric, and worst, between man and Daedric Princes. The war waged around the small villages, for the most part, but not within. The different sides tended to hold the areas closest to their lands, and the real battle waged near the Ruby Throne.

Krist found some farms that were still being worked, and made contact with the owners. Some were very friendly, and happy to see a friendly face. Others were suspicious and wanted nothing to do with a Nord from Skyrim. He would pass that information on to Tohmas, as trade, especially during the winter, was important. He mapped the villages that were still functioning well. Most within a days ride of the farm. Being from Cyrodiil, Tohmas and his family would know the places, most probably.

It was now time to return to the farm.
  • Krist
    Krist
    ✭✭✭✭