Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

giving up on lvl 35 nightblade, help!

Slater_Reed
So iam on ebonheart pact, and i made several characters there to try it out, i decided finally to stick with my nightblade khajiit, unfortunately, i have now reached lvl 35, went to the rift, and just realized how inneficient my character is at sweeping packs of enemies, i can deal with 2 pretty great and kill them off quickly, but add one more and it all goes to hell. And this makes me a bit unwilling to keep playing the char, since i have seen so many players at around my lvl just going over to the same enemies and sweeping the floor with large numbers of them.
My question is, iam still all very new to the game and game mechanics, is there something iam missing?

Some info:
I play on PS4
Khajiit Vampire lvl 5
lvl 35 character
build revolves around bow and arrow
nightblade
medium armor user
Just completely wasted 10k trying out different builds on respecting skill points, waste, to say the least

Any help is apreciated, thank you.
I love when i get to download 15gb of worthless data just to get the 500mb patch, its just like waiting for the whole cake to be done when all you want is just the little cherry on the top, hmm Yumi!
  • OzJohnD
    OzJohnD
    ✭✭✭✭
    two potential problems that I see

firstly the weaknesses of vampire

secondly the weakness of bow at melee range, good for 1-2 mobs but not so good for 3-4 and worse if you accidentally pull a second group ... have you got a melee ability bar setup ? I suspect the right combination of dual wield skills will sort things out for you
    Everyone knows the phenomenon of trying to hold your breath underwater - how at first it's alright and you can handle it, and then as it gets closer and closer to the time when you must breathe, how urgent the need becomes, the lust and the hunger to breathe. And then the panic sets in when you begin to think that you won't be able to breathe - and finally, when you take in air and the anxiety subsides...that's what it's like to be a vampire and need blood.

Francis Ford Coppola - BS Dracula: The Film and the Legend

• SURxR3AL
    SURxR3AL
    ✭✭✭
    OzJohnD wrote: »
    two potential problems that I see

firstly the weaknesses of vampire

secondly the weakness of bow at melee range, good for 1-2 mobs but not so good for 3-4 and worse if you accidentally pull a second group ... have you got a melee ability bar setup ? I suspect the right combination of dual wield skills will sort things out for you

yeah dual wield is great aoe "steel tornado" all the way, it destroys packs
    NA Server (Xbox One)
    Magika Sorc - Zane Cloudreaver(EP)
    Magika Temp - Revan V'ile(EP)
    Stam DK - Kraven V'ile(AD)
    Stam NB- Relic V'alor(DC)
    Stam Sorc- Veric Septim(AD)
  • Suntzu1414
    check out 2hd.

Cleave is believe is the first ability, its a respectable AoE.
    When you morph this, it give you a shield...match this with a stam reduct build (med armor).

you should be right as rain...

Kill Well
    ST

DC - NB VR15 - Khajit - DW / S+B / Bow
    DC - NB VR 15 - Wood Elf - S+B / Resto
    DC - TP VR 15 - Brenton - Resto / Dual Wield
    DC - SC VR 12 - High Elf - Desto / Dual Wield
    EP - TP VR 5 - Nord - 2hd / 2hd
    EP - DK 20 - Imperial - S+B / Desto / Bow
  • BurtFreeman
    BurtFreeman
    ✭✭✭
    i also give up a nightblade, becouse even if i know how to use it a bit, i didn't felt satisfied, about the class mobs control skill. is almost not my type of fight going snaking, so i have not enjoy the best passive of the class.

i think any player get the best from one or two class, that is not always the same for all: i solo very well with a mage and a templar, since the very first level with powerfull ranged spell and crowd controll skill, but very badly with the nightblade.

so may be you just do not match it, like me, becouse i always see powerfull nb, but you must snake, hide all the time.
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As mentioned above, all you need is the 2H skill brawler. It gives you a shield, the shield becomes stronger the more enemies you hit with the ability, and it refreshes with every swing. You can solo packs of enemies doing nothing but spamming this.
  • Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In my opinion, the nightblade is the most difficult class to master of the 4 available. You do not have the heals of the templar, the crowd control of the sorcerer or the tankiness of the dragonnight. Your weapon of choice for enemy control is mobility. So if you are using a stamina based playstyle (apparent from bow as a weapon, you do have everything invested in stamina, right?), learn to use dodge roll as your way to control the battlefield.

Yes, stealth is important, but only for the opener. Target the cloth wearing NPC first and from stealth. As soon as you have snipe unlocked, you will be able to kill those almost immediately, reducing the number of enemies right from start. Use dodge roll to keep your distance from melee opponents and to evade ranged attacks.

Use weapon crowd control abilities, in this case the bombard morph of arrow spray. Use aspect of Terror to get rid of enemies that have actually closed in to you. Blur and its Morphs are also very powerful defensive abilities, especially double take. The speedbuff it provides makes you faster than any NPC and allows you to again get away from them.

Even with a stamina build, you can still use agony and its morphs for CC. That skill allows you to remove an additional target from combat for 20 seconds and works wonderful on caster based NPCs as well since they seem to be much less prone to use break free.

Finally, the advice to use 2H weapon for your second bar is also very good. That line will take care of most problems you describe.
    Edited by Leandor on June 19, 2015 5:47AM
  • Slater_Reed
    Thank you so much to all of you guys for the quick and helpfull replies, i will definitely try out your suggestions and leave some feedback after trying it out, Thank you! BTW i just reset my skillpoints... again but wth for science right XD so ill see to it and see what comes by. Just one more question, health regens in combat right? Meaning if iam a stage 4 vampire, my health just keeps dropping with no recovery because of the 75 per cent health regen reduction? Sorry guys but iam still all very new to this, ty once again.
    I love when i get to download 15gb of worthless data just to get the 500mb patch, its just like waiting for the whole cake to be done when all you want is just the little cherry on the top, hmm Yumi!
  • Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, correct. The biggest issue with vampire is the reduced health regeneration (at least for the leveling phase and PvE, I know fire is another big one).
  • Slater_Reed
    Ok ihave been trying out 2H and it really works, my only issue now is what other skills should i be using along it, tried the morphed cleave on large 3 or more groups and its good, just seems it cant hold its own against a miniboss from a quest, so what other skills pair with cleave, and should i do two separate loadouts, one for aoe with 2H, an some other for single target? Btw i dont mind deviating from the bow if necessary. TY again for all the help
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm currently leveling a medium armor VR2 nightblade.
    Bow + Dual Wield

Steel Tornado is great for CC as is Aspect of Terror. I use siphoning to keep my resources up.

So far, it's been easy going and even larger groups do not pose any serious problems.
    :smile:
  • Slater_Reed
    Honestly iam starting to think it might be the vampirism debuffs that are screwing up my survivability... Ty guys for the help
  • Slater_Reed
    Ok i give up on this one, i cannot even survive in the most basic of main quests, having you all heard my struggle and seen iam not meant for nightblade, tell me which class would you recomend dps wise, i would prefer dps sugestions, but others would do just fine even though iam not very big on tanking
  • Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You may want to try out a dragonknight for starters. But do not delete the nightblade, I assure you that after you get more used to the game, you will go back to the nightblade and work it very differently and maybe more efficiently.

It really is all training.
  • Slater_Reed
    Hmm ok, dragonknight, but isnt dragonknight a tank, what kind of dps builds are there for it. Btw what about templar dps?
  • Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tbh, I recommend dragonknight because it is easiest to play in my opinion. During the leveling stages, dps is relatively evenly distributed amongst the classes, so there is not much difference.

The magicka based "fire mage" (using inferno staff) build for the Dragonknight is probably still the highest damage build in game. Check this video by another very valuable forum participant ( @xMovingTarget ) to get an idea about what that looks like in endgame
  • BurtFreeman
    BurtFreeman
    ✭✭✭
    Ok i give up on this one, i cannot even survive in the most basic of main quests, having you all heard my struggle and seen iam not meant for nightblade, tell me which class would you recomend dps wise, i would prefer dps sugestions, but others would do just fine even though iam not very big on tanking

everybody will suggest you DK for dps, but if you look for easy life, you may try the sorc, becouse you will have from the first skills class a powerfull tools (also dps come from different way and spells and sorc is fine with them):
    - 28m ranged attack and stun, really important when you are going to learn a game: mage fury morphed into endless fury, crystal shard morped into crystal fragment; those to skill that you can have since level 1, are the most powerfull spell for a sorc, ranged, stun (cfrag) and executioner (endless fury)
    - immobilizing: encase morphed into shattering prison: will make life even easier with 4 second immobilization. is also a quite ranged spell 15m, and you can use it in congiunction with 2 staff heavy attack when you are low on magika. (only some bosses are immnune, but not so many).
    - pets: this is your great companions, they distract enemies and add numbers on your total dps. if you get the summon twilight matriarch, you will have your personal healer that will save your life so many time (it will ned a while to get it)

a mage do not have a great healing in low level, but you will have a great shiels at the end. this is why mage running almost restoration staf in one bar, and destruction staff in the other, at least at low leves.

a mage with destro flame staff is dangerous, becouse of the stun and immobilizing spell he can use. get the force shock morped into crushing shock asap, in the main time use the destructive touch, that is another stun spell on your side.

DK is strong, but you need to wait a while before to have access at the best spell. for learning the game i think sorc is the best (have a look at this sorc on youtube: @LegendaryMage, he will going to let you make this hard decision)

later on you will be fine with all class, but really you may want to choose a sorc and off course a dk, you can play both at begin.

also templar has a great control crowds and the best healing, that make the survivability a joke. but you are asking specifically for dps so i'm not going to talk about it.

anyway have a good time, and if you feel frustrated by a class, change it is the best. you may always play better later on.

Edited by BurtFreeman on June 19, 2015 3:09PM
  • OzJohnD
    OzJohnD
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you choose to cure vampire you don't lose the leveling you already obtained, just remember you don't regain the skill points unless you reset skill points before you cure
    Everyone knows the phenomenon of trying to hold your breath underwater - how at first it's alright and you can handle it, and then as it gets closer and closer to the time when you must breathe, how urgent the need becomes, the lust and the hunger to breathe. And then the panic sets in when you begin to think that you won't be able to breathe - and finally, when you take in air and the anxiety subsides...that's what it's like to be a vampire and need blood.

Francis Ford Coppola - BS Dracula: The Film and the Legend

• Slater_Reed
    Ty again guys, i cured my self and it solved the issue, thank you, also trying 2h build, seems quite sturdy and good dps
  • Stalwart385
    Stalwart385
    ✭✭✭✭
    Uppercut, morphed to wrecking blow, is the main dps skill with the two hander. Just spam wrecking blow for great dps. It has an ability that makes the next attack do increased damage. Which will apply to the next wrecking blow. Mix in a brawler to keep a shield up. This alone can solo many world bosses. You'll also want to run momentum morphed to rally. Once you have that you will do even more damage and have an excellent heal over time and burst heal. Probably enough to offset being a vamp.

For pure AoE dps dual wield is the best with steel tornado.

The bow is probably the weakest dps in the game (besides sword and board). You have to really build a good set for it. That said, it is a great tool for stamina users at range. It is also nice to use as an opener from stealth and in pvp.
    Edited by Stalwart385 on June 20, 2015 8:37PM