The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Best place to find Motif books.

DubVDUBBIN
DubVDUBBIN
Soul Shriven
I've found a couple by looting houses and throughout my journey but I'm just wondering if anyone had any better places to look for them specifically. I'm on Xbox One (GT: DubVDUBBIN) Any help is greatly appreciated.
Edited by DubVDUBBIN on June 17, 2015 4:12AM
  • tankfun652
    tankfun652
    ✭✭
    Its a rule not to buy and sell on the forums... it really sucks because console players don't have a more efficient way to trade in the game. If a mod sees this, please please please Console players NEED a better way to trade!!
  • traigusb14_ESO2
    traigusb14_ESO2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Desks, backpacks, dwemer urns and vases, trunks, wardrobes.

Never barrels, crates and baskets...

I have my best luck with backpacks and desks.
  • Zorrashi
    Zorrashi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raid big houses and estates and open everything that looks like it may hold a motif. Drawers, vases, urns, desks, backpacks etc....
    The more containers, the better the chance.
  • Kildayen
    Kildayen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DubVDUBBIN wrote: »
    I've found a couple by looting houses and throughout my journey but I'm just wondering if anyone had any better places to look for them specifically. I'm on Xbox One (GT: DubVDUBBIN) Any help is greatly appreciated.

The Crown store...

Rest In Peace, ESO. ZOS has taken the "hard" out of this game. Who wants to play a game that you actually have to work hard at and spend many hours focusing on getting better?

This used to be an amazing game.

• Fruitmass
    Fruitmass
    ✭✭✭✭
    Zorrashi wrote: »
    Raid big houses and estates and open everything that looks like it may hold a motif. Drawers, vases, urns, desks, backpacks etc....
    The more containers, the better the chance.

I have my best luck with backpacks and desks.

pretty much both of these. However also keep in mind a few things:

The basic racial motifs can be found in most any container minus sacks, barrels and baskets as mentioned by others.

The Barbaric and Primal motifs are found in the Cadwell's Silver zones. Meaning you have to beat Molag Bal and reach the next faction.

The Daedric and Ancient Elf motifs are found in Cadwell's Gold zones. Meaning you have to finish Cadwell's Silver and reach the final faction.

The Imperial motif can drop anywhere but it's obscenely rare.

The Dwemer motif only drops from dwemer type containers. You don't necessarily have to be in a dwemer ruin to find it (there are dwemer urns scattered around outside in the world) but it's the most likely place to have a high concentration of viable containers.
    Edited by Fruitmass on June 17, 2015 5:54AM
    Beware all ye who log on for here there be typos...
  • DubVDUBBIN
    DubVDUBBIN
    Soul Shriven
    I'm not one to buy a bunch of things off an the in game store just because I have fun looting homes and lock boxes and selling the stuff to fences. The one thing I enjoyed about skyrim is all of the caves that you could wonder in to which I've only found a little bit of those to start out with.
  • SplendidAngharad94
    SplendidAngharad94
    ✭✭✭
    If anyone is interested I currently have a spare Khajiit and Altmer Motif book in my bank that I can't sell because none of my guilds have though of getting a guild store -.-
    Make me an offer if interested, I want rid, so like 2k each would be nice
    Still chasing that elusive Imperial Motif :'(
    anigif_original-grid-image-21713-1415264708-6.gif
  • DubVDUBBIN
    DubVDUBBIN
    Soul Shriven
    Well after posting this I've turned my attention to looting in the name of science :smiley: . I've found that I was more likely to find motif books in "steal from" type containers. Lock picking houses and trying to sneak around to steal things is where I found some of them faster than exploring and looking for lore books.
  • leveltic
    leveltic
    Kildayen wrote: »

The Crown store...

Rest In Peace, ESO. ZOS has taken the "hard" out of this game. Who wants to play a game that you actually have to work hard at and spend many hours focusing on getting better?

It's still a very good game imo I don't see the big wow factor in finding all of the motif books. If you couldn't buy it in the crown store all you have to do is make 1 of each race and to counter that is to not share the bank with your characters. I would love to see the reaction to that. It also makes the game money and you can't knock anyone for trying to make more money.
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Normal blue motifs (9 racial styles) drop in desks, backpacks, urns and vases, trunks and wardrobes in all area's.
    First two purple motifs (barbaric and primal) drop desks, backpacks, urns and vases, trunks and wardrobes in the Cadwell Silver area.
    Second two purple motifs (ancient elf and daedric) drop desks, backpacks, urns and vases, trunks and wardrobes in the Cadwell Gold area.
    Purple dwemer motif pages only drop in containers in dwemer ruins.
    Gold Imperial motif drops in desks, backpacks, urns and vases, trunks and wardrobes in all area's but is extremely rare (I have only found one, it was in the desk of the Rawl bank).
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • Moonshadow66
    Moonshadow66
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's funny that you ask; I just notice that I haven't found ANY blue motifs since console release anymore (I'm on PC, though), but 1 Ancient Elf motif about 2 days ago. But green recipes nonstop, I don't even bother selling them in trading guilds anymore since I guess everyone is covered by now. A few blue recipes, and no purple anymore since console release. Someone must have messed around with the drop rate again, I assume.
    Venus Ocean - Breton Sorceress VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Gixia - Breton Sorceress VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero
    Frances Demnevanni - Breton Dragonknight VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Raygee - Breton Nightblade VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero
    Lady Olivieri - Breton Nightblade VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Donna Demnevanni - Breton Templar VR16, DC, Tamriel Hero
    Elaine Benes - Breton Templar VR16, EP | Ray McCluck - Breton Sorcerer VR16, EP
    Moonshadow Demnevanni - Dunmer Dragonknight Lvl 50, EP | Jamie Stacey - Redguard Templar Lvl 50, EP
    Caia Cosades - Imperial Nightblade, EP

• jonnyweb75
    I have a purple and a blue I want to sell. Not currently a member of any guilds, any suggestions on where I can sell outside of a guild?

Purple - Racial Motifs 15, Chapter 8: Dwemer Helmets
    Blue - Racial Motifs 4: The Nords

There NEEDS to be a place to sell in every city for people that haven't yet or don't want to join a guild. This is crazy that people have to join a guild just to do this IMO.

• GoodFella146
    GoodFella146
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jonnyweb75 wrote: »
    I have a purple and a blue I want to sell. Not currently a member of any guilds, any suggestions on where I can sell outside of a guild?

There NEEDS to be a place to sell in every city for people that haven't yet or don't want to join a guild. This is crazy that people have to join a guild just to do this IMO.

try this place: https://www.reddit.com/r/ESObay/
  • xScAtTyMoNKeYx
    If your wanting to find players to Trade with on Xbox OPne or to find Guilds to join Get tips and help on the game etc

I have created a Community page on Facebook for all of this members are at 98 atm as not long started it and need to get it spread round a bit more but come over and have look im sure there will be people willing to trade

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ESOXBONEC/
  • bertenburnyb16_ESO
    bertenburnyb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ever heard of rng?

Anywhere and everywhere, except dwemer only in dwemer ruins
    Haze Ramoran Dunmer Dragonknight Tank/Dps – Smoked-Da-Herb Saxheel Templar Tank/Healer

Red Diamond, Protect us 'til the end (EU EP Thorn)
  • Moonshadow66
    Moonshadow66
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jonnyweb75 wrote: »

try this place: https://www.reddit.com/r/ESObay/
    If your wanting to find players to Trade with on Xbox OPne or to find Guilds to join Get tips and help on the game etc

I have created a Community page on Facebook for all of this members are at 98 atm as not long started it and need to get it spread round a bit more but come over and have look im sure there will be people willing to trade

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ESOXBONEC/

As great as it is that these sites exist, but it's incredible that you even have to create one just because of the missing TEXT CHAT on the console!
    Besides of deaf or hearing impaired players which cannot actually play on console (or totally isolated!), the missing text chat also has a negative impact on the entire console community for having to trade outside of the game if they don't want to join a guild. Unbelievable!
    I'm speechless about ZOS being so stupid to NOT ADD TEXT CHAT! And I'm not even a console player!
    Venus Ocean - Breton Sorceress VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Gixia - Breton Sorceress VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero
    Frances Demnevanni - Breton Dragonknight VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Raygee - Breton Nightblade VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero
    Lady Olivieri - Breton Nightblade VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Donna Demnevanni - Breton Templar VR16, DC, Tamriel Hero
    Elaine Benes - Breton Templar VR16, EP | Ray McCluck - Breton Sorcerer VR16, EP
    Moonshadow Demnevanni - Dunmer Dragonknight Lvl 50, EP | Jamie Stacey - Redguard Templar Lvl 50, EP
    Caia Cosades - Imperial Nightblade, EP

• Gamertaglemieux
    Gamertaglemieux
    ✭✭✭
    Kildayen wrote: »

The Crown store...

It still is an amazing game, I've enjoyed every moment in playing. :)

Sorry you feel this way.
    Queen Ayrenn build that wall around Summerset.

Make Shimmerene great again!
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Burned Crates and Barrels may have them. I found my first Purple Motif in a Burned Crate in a city that was destroyed by dark forces.

Knapsacks out in the world will have Motifs, but the ones in the cities do not. This may have changed with the Justice system on the city side. But, I have yet to see a motif in knapsack in the city. Then again, I do not see as many motifs in the city anymore because the loot tables also have Legerdemain loot now in addition to everything else.

In the cities, furniture is the best source for Motifs, out in the world, just about any container except provisioning containers and probably regular barrels.

Edited by Nestor on June 19, 2015 4:28PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"