The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

First Time Guildmaster

kirkonacid
Hi there fellow ESO(ers?) !

I'm a player returning to the game after playing the beta oh so long ago. I quickly realized that many conversations and players in zone chat we're rather rude and obnoxious at times. I wanted to enjoy the game with other players, but found it difficult to find any that seemed to be on my wavelength. Long story short, I created a guild and set out to recruit like-minded players. I've got 17 or so members, and it seems pretty active, but I can't help feel that I put the cart ahead of the horse a little bit. I'm looking for tips on how to be an awesome guild master and I'd appreciate any advice you all can give.

A little basic info about the guild would probably help so here it is:
Tamriel's Avengers is a casual social guild. We're focused more on having fun in the game rather than having the perfect character builds and whatnot. I aim to maintain a positive atmosphere free of obnoxious and rude players and sexism, racism, and all the other bad -isms. That part is very important to me. I also want to help out new players and veterans alike.

- I'd like to keep growing the guild, but other than spamming zone chat (which is both annoying and often unsuccessful), what is the best way to find new members? The forums here?

- What's the best way to choose who to promote?

- I know other guilds have lotteries and prizes, how are these set up to be fair? Actually, what should be done with the guild's money?

If there is anything else I should know, have at me! Thanks!

• Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a Guild Master but I can offer observations based on threads and other things in the game.

What one of my Guilds has done is appoint a Recruitment Officer who spends time offering help and promoting the Guild within the forums. On top of that, one of my other Guilds doesn't start recruiting in game until the Third Region of the game where all of the undedicated players have mostly weeded themselves out. They are both the most socially active ESO Guilds I have been in.

I believe the Lotteries etc are done in order to raise money for bidding on Trader Access. I could be wrong though.

I can't tell you how to know who to promote, that's a trust issue and I'm a Cynic where trust is concerned.
    Edited by Woolenthreads on May 27, 2015 10:18PM
    Oooh look, lot's of Butterflies! Wait! Butterflies? Get out of here Sheo, stop bugging me!

Having issues with Provisioning Writs? A list of problem Writs and people willing to help in game can be found in this Thread
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kirkonacid wrote: »

- I'd like to keep growing the guild, but other than spamming zone chat (which is both annoying and often unsuccessful), what is the best way to find new members? The forums here?

- I know other guilds have lotteries and prizes, how are these set up to be fair? Actually, what should be done with the guild's money?

A forum thread can help to recruit people. Also, a website that at least speaks about the guild and perhaps shows a schedule of events can help. As for finding new members, make your guild mates able to add members to the guild even at the lowest ranks. But, do restrict bank access to those you trust. Only promote those you feel won't clean out your bank to a rank that has banking privileges. Let your members do the recruiting for you.

Guilds need money for only one reason, to Rent a Guild Kiosk. Since you have 17 members, you can't have a store anyway, so there is no reason to chase funds. Unless you are building up a supply for once you do have a store. But, Kiosks can be expensive and that treadmill is probably something you want to stay off of.

I suppose a guild could use money to buy things for the guild members to use, but I have never heard of that. Most guild mates are supplied from the bank.

Another thing about lotteries, only one of the guilds I am does this. Even though they are optional, and I buy a couple of tickets every other week or so, I find the whole lottery thing annoying and would wish it would go away. The other 4 guilds I am in don't do this and I like them better for it.

You also have to decide if your going Large or staying small. People do have some preferences on guild size. Some prefer a smaller 20 to 50 person guild, some want 400 to 500 members. Decide what you want and go in that direction. Personally, for me, guild populations are only important to create a market for the Guild Store to have a customer base from.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    forming pug groups, then see if they have a guild and would like to join.
    Guild: STACK n BURN (gm) PC - NA
    CP 810 18 Maxed Characters:
    "How hard can u guar?" - Rafishul[/spoiler]
  • Thelon
    Thelon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck with the new Guild! Here's a few tips from my experience as the GM of a PvE Guild and a Trading Guild:

- Recruit constantly. In game (zone and / or pugs) and on forums (ESO forums and tamrielfoundry.com)
    - Create a simple website and keep the calendar updated. (ESO has no in game calendar)
    - Keep your guild informed through the Message of the Day and by mass-mailing (Add-on - Mail R)
    - Use voice chat as often as possible for group content or just hanging out
    - Keep bank access restricted to those you trust
    - Form relationships with the GMs of guilds with a different focus (Hardcore, PvP, Trading)
  • kirkonacid
    Thank you everyone for all the tips!
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭

To find new members you need to use all channels. So a forum thread, spamming /zone and also have a website. there are several forum websites you can make for a guild for free. When spamming /zone I don't mean spamming every 5 minutes. Beter is to visit all 6 maps in your alliance and do one spam in each map and then wait for 2 hours atleast. that way you reach as much people as possible without annoying them. when starting you have to be happy with getting maybe 1 or 2 members per day.
    Gut feeling....
    A few tips though:
    -Don't promote someone cause you like them.
    -Make sure you can trust the person.
    -skills as a player isn't equal to skills as an officer.
    -people who want to be promoted are often the least suited. One who wants to lead yearns for power and status. One who accepts to lead when asked does it out of kindness and willingness to help.
    -Get people who are active and make everyone understand that if you are inactive, they will get demoted again to a "regular" member. Again. it is not a status or a right you obtain, but a burden you are happy to take upon cause you like to help.

A lottery is always based on trust. The actual prize drawing is in need of trust as well. I know two methods that are reasonable well secure.

a: make people choose thier own lottery number. If people pick the same one, they share the price. If nobody picks the right number, there is a rollover to next week (which means more prizes then). The winning number can be done by picking a national lottery drawing and e.g. pick the bonusball number (keep in mind that many ball lootery's on TV are going 1-40 max, so make sure people know only to pick those numbers). As the drawing is random and done in public for you, there can be no confusion bout the system.

b: use a website like https://www.random.org/ and broadcast the drawing on twitch.
    If there is anything else I should know

Most guilds fail in the first 6 months. Take your time in recruiting (even if it goes slow), but also in bonding with members. If you keep 50% of the new recruits it is a high number!
    Through me you pass into the city of woe:
    Through me you pass into eternal pain:
    Through me among the people lost for aye.

PC player - EU
  • Casdha
    Casdha
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is something you may want to check out for ideas. It is from a Guild which I (Turn2) Co-founded back during beta but have since (in the last month or two) left, not due to problems with the guild but the fact that my game time became very limited and leaving was the only way I didn't feel responsible for it. I am welcome back at any time if my game time ever frees up. I'm sure if you ask, the members there will help you get started just say I sent ya. They are always looking for other small, like minded, guilds to be friends with.

The Elder Sages Guild Charter

Edit: Tagging one of the leaders so they know I posted this. @Auldjohn
    Edited by Casdha on June 3, 2015 3:31PM
    Proud member of the Psijic Order - The first wave - The 0.016%

• kirkonacid
    Thank you @Casdha!
  • Auldjohn
    Auldjohn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Casdha wrote: »
    Here is something you may want to check out for ideas. It is from a Guild which I (Turn2) Co-founded back during beta but have since (in the last month or two) left, not due to problems with the guild but the fact that my game time became very limited and leaving was the only way I didn't feel responsible for it. I am welcome back at any time if my game time ever frees up. I'm sure if you ask, the members there will help you get started just say I sent ya. They are always looking for other small, like minded, guilds to be friends with.

The Elder Sages Guild Charter

Edit: Tagging one of the leaders so they know I posted this. @Auldjohn

Hail and well met, @kirkonacid,

Thanks for your post. Special shout-out to TESG co-founder @Casdha (Turn2) for referring you to The Elder Sages' Guild (TESG).

TL;dr: Background on TESG follows with answers to your questions.
    Hi there fellow ESO(ers?) !

I'm a player returning to the game after playing the beta oh so long ago. I quickly realized that many conversations and players in zone chat we're rather rude and obnoxious at times. I wanted to enjoy the game with other players, but found it difficult to find any that seemed to be on my wavelength. Long story short, I created a guild and set out to recruit like-minded players. I've got 17 or so members, and it seems pretty active, but I can't help feel that I put the cart ahead of the horse a little bit. I'm looking for tips on how to be an awesome guild master and I'd appreciate any advice you all can give.

From your comments it's clear you're off to a good start on becoming an awesome Guildmaster. Your first step of selectively recruiting like-minded players is similar to ours. When we started our guild during early Closed PC Beta, (founded August 31st, 2013), we recruited other players with similar interests through threads on the ESO Beta forums. During NDA discussions were limited to exclusively to the Beta forums.
    :

A little basic info about the guild would probably help so here it is:
    Tamriel's Avengers is a casual social guild. We're focused more on having fun in the game rather than having the perfect character builds and whatnot. I aim to maintain a positive atmosphere free of obnoxious and rude players and sexism, racism, and all the other bad -isms. That part is very important to me. I also want to help out new players and veterans alike.

Our shared vision for TESG was, and is, creating and maintaining a friendly, helpful guild with others who share our enthusiasm for RPGs, the Elder Scrolls series, and particularly ESO. We welcome mature-minded gamers from all playing styles, regardless of experience, Alliance or interest, whether casual or "hard core", on any megaserver or platform, to share information, experience, tips and tricks. Our creed is "play how you want, where you want, when you want", so long as we all (borrowing @Casdha's tagline) "Have Fun!!"

We play primarily on NA, have a small presence on EU and PTS, and a TeamSpeak3 server.

We recently set up a forum section for Console players, with sub-forums for XBox One and PS4, and hope to add console players as soon as the dust from console launch settles.

Our recruiting methods vary, but focus on one-on-one contact through in-game groups or referrals from guild members. We've periodically post here in the ESO Forums in the recruiting and Guild Spotlight topics.

FYI, I wrote extensively about our history, traditional guild lore, and approach in @ZOS_GinaBruno's (link:)(Guild Spotlight: The Elder Sages' Guild (TESG), (post #204, May 6, near the bottom of Page 7).

We have a (link:) TESG branch on Tamriel Foundry which we use for recruiting, as well as an invitation-only (link:)Facebook group. Many of our members play games on Steam so we have a Steam Community group TESGs. (Consider this an invite to join any of these three social media groups.)

I also selectively post on other social media such as Elder Scrolls related FB groups, and AMD's Gaming Evolved Raptr and Plays.tv communities. I have a Twitch.tv account but not yet streamed.

From time to time I video capture ESO game play and upload them to my (link:) Auldjohnmastersage YouTube channel which builds awareness of TESG.

My Tamriel Foundry and Steam IDs are the same as here: Auldjohn. To join TESGs please (link:)add me, Auldjohn as a Steam Friend and I'll send an invite.

[/quote]

TESG ranks, roles, and promotions

Promotions are based on contribution of effort, talents, skills and ideas to the guild. Consideration is based on participation in-game, and to a lesser extent, in our website Forums. Promotions are granted solely by the Master Sages' Council.

We view ranks as roles, rather than a rigid hierarchy. New members are accepted as Aspirants. During this brief period the new member gets to know us and we them. Aspirants After a period of one to two weeks, (which also acts as a "Troll-Gate") -- ;) . New members who participate in any aspect of TESG are then promoted to full membership as Sage in about one week.

The Archivist rank (or role) is bestowed upon former Master or Elder Sages, who for personal reasons may not wish to continue with those responsibilities but are recognized for their invaluable contributions to the guild.

The Elder Sages' Guild has also established "diplomatic relations" with other similarly-minded friend-guilds. We hold joint inter-guild in-game events and exchange ideas cooperatively. An envoy from a friend-guild is recognized as a Wandering Sage, and is a Sage-equivalent with the rights and privileges of full membership.

An Elder Sage is someone who actively participates in guild and takes initiative by creating and leading in-game events, or otherwise displays exemplary participation. A Sage is invited by PM to become an Elder Sage by a guild leader. If the invitation is accepted they become a member of Elder Sages Council, which is an advisory board to leadership. Elder Sages are required to join our website, are Guild Officers, and are usually in-game and/or site forum Moderators. They are mentors to new members and Sages.

A Master Sage has accepted a leadership role in TESG, and is dedicated to preserving the vision of our founding members and the perpetuation of our guild. Master Sages are site administrators and become Guildmaster for one of the megaservers. The Master Sages' Council governs by consensus for the benefit of the entire membership, and sets strategic goals and policies for the guild, and preserves our traditional guild lore. The MSC also revised our Charter and Code of Conduct, resolves and governs under advisement by the Elder Sages' Council, with input from the Sages' Council.

Since our motto includes "play when you want", members are free to participate -- but not required -- to participate in guild events, whether in-game or on our website. Like many long-established gaming guilds we've gone through growing pains. Our active membership has increased and decreased from Beta, transitioning through four websites but with a core group with various levels of activity.

At present we're working on revitalizing our guild. We hold (mostly) bi-weekly guild meetings on TeamSpeak and have ongoing in-game events on our Calendar. Site activity at present is low, though you'll often find members in-game, mainly on the NA megaserver, as I mentioned.

Once accepted to TESG, members are free to come or go freely -- and are welcome to join other guilds (if those guilds allow). Nomads are members who have been inactive for six months or more. A Nomad is still a member in-good-standing and will be restored to full membership as Sage when they return.

Diplomatic Relations between Tamriel's Avengers and The Elder Sages' Guild?

Please PM me if you are interested in establishing a friend-guild relationship between Tamriel's Avengers and The Elder Sages' Guild. We would create a Tamriel's Avengers Embassy on our site. We have long been friends with Elder Moot and recently More Than Fair, both of which have TESG Embassies in our site forums.

[/quote]

TESG established a secondary in-game guild Guild Vault on the NA megaserver. Members contribute materials, weapons, armor, and other items that are used as "prizes" for guild contests. Donations are voluntary and only Master Sages can withdraw from GV.

Our primary Guild Bank is open to all members for contributions. Aspirants can deposit, or sell items in the Guild Store. Sages and above are free to withdraw anything they find useful. Consumables, weapons, armor, glyphs, materials, items to deconstruct or crafted by members are all popular. The Guild Bank runs on an honor system.. We only ask members to deposit items in return when they have them available. The Guild Store also features our Tabard.

Some guilds use proceeds from their Guild Bank or Guild Store to fund hiring Traders.

You may wish to participate in a helpful thread by @ashlee17 , leader of More Than Fair, on Guild Management Tools. (It was through this thread I met Ashlee17 which later led to our establishing friend-guild relations with MTF.)

@kirkonacid , hope these comments are helpful. (BTW, received your membership app and will accept you after I post this. Warm regards and see you in Tamriel!

2242322.jpg

@AuldjohnThe Elder Sages' GuildMaster Sage & Co-Founderfacebook.com/groups/theeldersagesguild
    "Old gamers never die; they just respawn and game on!" • Our Slogan: Have Fun!!

Moot Envoy • Tamriel Foundry Adept • Steam ID Auldjohn
    YouTube auldjohnmastersage • Twitch AuldjohnPCGamer• Steam Group TESGs
  • Elloa
    Elloa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Heya!

Congratulations @ for the creation of your guild!

I've been guild master for a very long time in various games. I've gathered quite some experience about the job. I'm currently taking care of a multigaming community with several guilds in several games, and the leader of the ESO guild. Our concept is to be a small, cozy, warm hearted community where players can bonds and create long standing friendship that will last beyond games.
    You can have a look at our forums if you are curious. This may inspire you. (This is not guild promotion as we are NOT recruiting anymore) >> Whitestar

So my advices.

1. It's a LOT of work, and will requiere you to be dedicated and ready to put the effort.
    2. You need to be truely passionated by what you do. If you do not have the passion, for your guild AND for the game, you will not be able to inspire loyalty from other players
    3. you need to be very active. If not in game, on forum, TS, or wherever you can be. you need to always be able to supervise your guild.
    4. you need patience and persistance. Creating a guild take time, because it's related to relationship and social bonds. And relationship take time to be build. Nothing can replace time. You sometimes will have the feeling your guild fail, and is dead. but do not abandon, even then. Remember that the poeple that fail are the poeple that abadon. if you do not abandon your project, you bad time will only be a small period in the life of your project. To give you a concrete example, my ESO guild was almost dead for several months last year with 2,4 players active, everyone else had move on to Wildstar or WOW. I didn't gave up, and continued to work on my guild. And now, everything is great!
    5. You need to take care of your people, and find way to favourise friendships between your members. That's the best way to keep your members loyal to your guild. Some may even stick with you just because of the friendship they have build.
    6. Be aware of clique or sub groups. Those may be dangerous for your guild balance. Try to mix up people as much as possible. if there is clique that are forming, in case a "drama" happen this can lead to a guild split up.
    7. Try to get your members involved. Do not promote officers before you need it to help you with the organisation. regularly ask the opinion of your members, listen to their wishes and feedback. this way you can build the guild arround their desire, and they will have the feeling they are truely part of it.
    8. A forum is a great way to have a home outside the game. Do not try to include too much social network though. that will just spread your members instead of gathering them. I'd strongly recommand you Anook.com. it's a great social network for gamers. you can create your forum easily, share screenshots, have your TwichTv or Youtube linked. The big advantage of Anook is that it's not exclusive to ESO, so if your members play other games aswell, they can stick arround in the very same place. This is where I've build my home for my guild and we are extremly happy about it.
    Anook.com

If you have any question, i'd be more than happy to help!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMAp6VjL_g0
    Edited by Elloa on June 12, 2015 10:30AM
  • Auldjohn
    Auldjohn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Very helpful post, friend @Elloa , (aka @Elloawendy)! Merci!
    @AuldjohnThe Elder Sages' GuildMaster Sage & Co-Founderfacebook.com/groups/theeldersagesguild
    "Old gamers never die; they just respawn and game on!" • Our Slogan: Have Fun!!

Moot Envoy • Tamriel Foundry Adept • Steam ID Auldjohn
    YouTube auldjohnmastersage • Twitch AuldjohnPCGamer• Steam Group TESGs
  • Darkrosesus
    Darkrosesus
    ✭✭
    Hello, what system are you on as I like the sound of your Guild. I also play to have fun and not take things too seriously. I spent the 2nd day after launch dancing and playing musical instruments for the crowds. :#

I'm on PS4 and my username is the same as the one on here. Anyone reading this message with similar playing style please consider adding me. Thank you.

• kirkonacid
    @Darkrosesus - Unfortunately I'm on PC, but if you ever get the game for it, let me know!

Thanks again @Auldjohn ! You've been incredibly helpful and awesome!

@Elloa - That was a great post. To be honest, I've been so busy the past couple weeks, it has been hard to find the time to play, let alone lead a guild. I've noticed in that time, the members I do have are less active. Hopefully it is a similar situation to the one you mentioned.

I do like the sound of a "cozy" guild. I love to game and I've always had a hard time getting my real life friends to play with me. I'm hoping to bring people together with this guild.I'm going to continue to look into the points you've all made. I'm going to definitely try to put more effort into finding time to create events and think if new ideas for the guild.

Thanks again everyone!
  • Elloa
    Elloa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    kirkonacid wrote: »
    I do like the sound of a "cozy" guild. I love to game and I've always had a hard time getting my real life friends to play with me. I'm hoping to bring people together with this guild.I'm going to continue to look into the points you've all made. I'm going to definitely try to put more effort into finding time to create events and think if new ideas for the guild.

Thanks again everyone!

Most important, do not give up! There is only three poeple in your event? Well, have fun with three poeple,and take screenie to share it with everyone and to show off how much you had. This way you always promote "the fun" of your guild, and how much fun the others have missed out...and poeple will eventually follow. Step by steps! :)