Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Helping lower levels level up...

xC0MMAND0x
xC0MMAND0x
Soul Shriven
Good day, I have a few questions /comments / need clarification on helping lower levels level up.

1. When I give them a lot of gear, it seems to help their crafting skill level up OK when they deconstruct it. But, they don't get all of the useful materials.

2. Also, I was doing a cave (I'm LVL 30) and had my brother (LVL 6) with me. He basically stayed back while I killed everything...he didn't seem to get much if any XP, and, he couldn't loot ANY of the bodies - is that because they are too high of a level?

3. I went to do Banished Cells with 2 players who were (LVL 7) and (LVL 8) when I was a (LVL 29). I thought / expected the enemies to be lower levels, but they were all around 28 or 29...is that normal for when you are in a group? Does it matter who is party leader?

Playing on Xbox One now, FYI.

Thanks!
  • AzraelKrieg
    AzraelKrieg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    1. There crafting level isn't high enough yet so the drops will be rare on really high level items

2. If there is more than a 5 level difference between the mobs and the player, no XP or drops will be awarded

3. Group dungeons scale to the group leader. Since it sounds like you were the leader, it scaled to your level.
    Gold Dragons Guildmaster PC-NACR2000+
    Kalthar Wolf-Brother – EP Templar - 50 Maeli Valen - EP NB - 50Naps-During-Trials – EP Templar - 50Rulnakh - EP Sorc - 50Azrael Krieg - EP NB – 50Uvithasa Telvanni – EP DK – 50More-Tail - EP Warden - 50Narile Galen - EP Sorc - 50Bone Soldier - EP Necro - 50Naps-During-Trails - EP Necro - 50
  • Pendrillion
    Pendrillion
    ✭✭✭✭
    First: You have to invest some Skillpoints into Crafting to get out all the crafting mats. It runs through a Random Number Generator still when you have maxed some of the crafting abilities. If you have used a mat 2 times you can not get it back from deconstructing.

Second: If your brother doesn't hit enemies he is not eligible to loot or XP.

Third: Dungeons scale on groupleader. Guess your group had a blast wiping :D

• dlepi24
    dlepi24
    ✭✭✭✭
    yeah, I feel bad for all my friends starting out. I want them to level up their crafting so I don't have to do all of them, but it seems like such a waste of mats for them to decon and get next to nothing. Oh well, maybe I'll have time to enjoy the game instead of constantly making sets for everyone and becoming a human tutorial for the game haha.
  • xC0MMAND0x
    xC0MMAND0x
    Soul Shriven
    Interesting...

So if my brother had actually "hit" the enemies he would have gotten XP and been able to loot...

As far as the "scaling to group leader" we tried again, when I made my friend the group leader, but enemies were still really high levels...

If they do Banished Cells when they are around LVL 10 or so, how can I help them beat it easily without it scaling to a high level? Are you sure it's just the group leader and not a group average?

More than a 5 level difference too - that's a bummer, haven't heard that before...
  • Pendrillion
    Pendrillion
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Group Dungeons are starting at level 12 or so? They are thought to be done when you are about to move out of the zone usually. But they scale from levels 12 - VR14. Also Dungeon Mobs hit harder and are bigger than overland mobs. Make the lowest member of the group leader.

Also you wont get much loot for helping your buddies either. You have to be within 5 levels of your lowest level member to be eligible for loot and XP. Those are security measures to deter Botters and Multiboxers. Or people who just want to be PUGed and profit without contributing.
    Edited by Pendrillion on June 15, 2015 1:46PM
  • stojekarcub18_ESO
    stojekarcub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    to add to the notes about dungeons scaling to group leader:

It has been my experience that the dungeons will scale to whomever was the ORIGINAL group leader upon formation of the party. Even if you pass the crown to another group member before entering the dungeon, it scales to whomever had it first. We've had to disband and reform, with the player who's level we've wanted the dungeon to scale to be the one to send out the invites.
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    xC0MMAND0x wrote: »
    Interesting...

So if my brother had actually "hit" the enemies he would have gotten XP and been able to loot...

As far as the "scaling to group leader" we tried again, when I made my friend the group leader, but enemies were still really high levels...

If they do Banished Cells when they are around LVL 10 or so, how can I help them beat it easily without it scaling to a high level? Are you sure it's just the group leader and not a group average?

More than a 5 level difference too - that's a bummer, haven't heard that before...

Why should someone who does nothing (no damage, no healing, just hides behind someone else) get any XP or loot? Of course your brother has to actually do something to get rewarded, otherwise we could all just group up and let 1 person do stuff while the rest of us go read a book or something!
    GM - Ghost Sea Trading Co - NA PC

Epona was a Romano-Celtic goddess dating back to around 1800 to 2000 years before computer games were invented.
  • dlepi24
    dlepi24
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've done the entry level group dungeons several times now on console to help friends out. The 5 level rule is still in effect. In order for your brother to get credit, he needs to be within 5 levels of the group leader, or he himself needs to be the leader if the first isn't possible. You can still help them complete it as a higher level, just don't expect anything for it.
  • xC0MMAND0x
    xC0MMAND0x
    Soul Shriven
    to add to the notes about dungeons scaling to group leader:

It has been my experience that the dungeons will scale to whomever was the ORIGINAL group leader upon formation of the party. Even if you pass the crown to another group member before entering the dungeon, it scales to whomever had it first. We've had to disband and reform, with the player who's level we've wanted the dungeon to scale to be the one to send out the invites.

Ah, this could be the ticket. I was the original leader. I will try doing disband and reform later.

Thanks for all the tips! It's cool having all my console friends hop on and play - that's why I ported over to Console too. So far (other than the loading issues) I've been really happy and enjoying the game a lot!
  • xC0MMAND0x
    xC0MMAND0x
    Soul Shriven
    Epona222 wrote: »
    Interesting...

Why should someone who does nothing (no damage, no healing, just hides behind someone else) get any XP or loot? Of course your brother has to actually do something to get rewarded, otherwise we could all just group up and let 1 person do stuff while the rest of us go read a book or something!

I guess I didn't think of it that way - makes perfect sense. I was just trying to help the guy :smile:

• AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The dungeon instance is set to whoever is group leader when someone first enters the dungeon. To set it to a different person, you need to disband the group and reform. Just going out and changing leaders will not do it.

You can still help your brother and friends. Just make sure the dungeon is set close to their level and take up more of a support role if you can.

I was running dungeons yesterday with my level 30 tank with two guildies who were 22 and 23 when we started, as well as a V1 healer. We set it to 22, so the healer and I didn't get any XP (except from the quests if we hadn't done them) and my lower level friends went up 2 levels just from doing the dungeons.

I've been in guild outings where I was way under-leveled and as long as I focus on one mob that nobody else is hitting, I tend to get some XP.
    The Moot Councillor
  • xC0MMAND0x
    xC0MMAND0x
    Soul Shriven
    Question - how does it determine WHO gets XP? Is it if the enemies are more than 5 LVLS apart, you don't get XP?

Example - I am doing a dungeon with friends. They are all LVL 12 and host it. I am LVL 30 and go in and help them kill all LVL 15 enemies...

Do they all get XP because the enemies are 3 LVLs off? And I wouldn't get any because I'm much higher of a level? Can I still get loot drops at least?

Thanks!
  • OzJohnD
    OzJohnD
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why powerlevel ? .... more fun to experience the game at your level and progress learning how to play your class along the way. (my opinion anyways)
    Everyone knows the phenomenon of trying to hold your breath underwater - how at first it's alright and you can handle it, and then as it gets closer and closer to the time when you must breathe, how urgent the need becomes, the lust and the hunger to breathe. And then the panic sets in when you begin to think that you won't be able to breathe - and finally, when you take in air and the anxiety subsides...that's what it's like to be a vampire and need blood.

Francis Ford Coppola - BS Dracula: The Film and the Legend

• xC0MMAND0x
    xC0MMAND0x
    Soul Shriven
    OzJohnD wrote: »
    Why powerlevel ? .... more fun to experience the game at your level and progress learning how to play your class along the way. (my opinion anyways)

Perhaps "powerlevel" isn't the term I should use. I want to get my friends up to higher levels quicker, so we can do more quests / dungeons / that type of thing together.

I want to help them, and want to do it the best way.
  • xC0MMAND0x
    xC0MMAND0x
    Soul Shriven
    Question - how does it determine WHO gets XP? Is it if the enemies are more than 5 LVLS apart, you don't get XP?

Example - I am doing a dungeon with friends. They are all LVL 12 and host it. I am LVL 30 and go in and help them kill all LVL 15 enemies...

Do they all get XP because the enemies are 3 LVLs off? And I wouldn't get any because I'm much higher of a level? Can I still get loot drops at least?

Thanks!

Any insight into exactly how this detail works?

• RazzPitazz
    RazzPitazz
    ✭✭✭✭

Thanks!

Any insight into exactly how this detail works?

In short, yes. You pretty much nailed it.
    If a player enters an area where the enemies are either 6 levels above or below that player, no xp is awarded. You still get loot.
    Would like to note, if you take on a quest that is 6 levels above or below your character then you are still rewarded the quest xp and quest reward loot.
    PC NA
    VR1 - Jar'eed - Khajiit Dragon Knight - AD
    VR1 - Broad Tail - Argonian Templar - EP
    All-Star Crafter Guild