Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why do Skyrim and other big provinces not highlight on the world map?

DimeN3Pennys
Can you not explore there on console? Would be kind of disappointing.
  • Xzien
    Xzien
    ✭✭✭
    I'm assuming you mean why can't you visit areas such as Whiterun and such right?
    Each alliance is separated into 5 zones + 1 or 2 starter areas depending on which alliance it is. In general the 5 zones go through all of that alliance's territory so you get to experience each race's culture for that alliance. That said I think it's safe to assume that at some point entire provinces will become available to explore, since there are multiple new zones in the works. Have patience and explore what's already there.
    THE DOCTA MCSAUCE OF NERDSAUCE
    Sorry bruh, I can't heal stupid.
    Xzien - Argonian Templar, Healer, Master Crafter
    Stop-Hitting-Yourself - Argonian Templar, Tank
    Kara Al'Ruk - Dunmer Sorcerer, Stamina DPS
    Daro'Zharr - Khajiit Nightblade, Murderous Kleptomaniac

I run the Tamriel Trade Center guild to organize scanning. Message me in-game at @Docta_Mcasty if you want to help out.
  • PoseidonEvil
    PoseidonEvil
    ✭✭✭
    Xzien wrote: »
    I'm assuming you mean why can't you visit areas such as Whiterun and such right?
    Each alliance is separated into 5 zones + 1 or 2 starter areas depending on which alliance it is. In general the 5 zones go through all of that alliance's territory so you get to experience each race's culture for that alliance. That said I think it's safe to assume that at some point entire provinces will become available to explore, since there are multiple new zones in the works. Have patience and explore what's already there.

let's pray. lol ^_^
    In-game ID: alchelvly
    Phixeon Maghi -- Breton Healer
    Harrow the Souleater -- Breton Necro Healer
    Krogyle dro-Smoketh -- Orc Stamdk
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    The provinces are mostly a thing of the empire. The story of GW2 is that the empire is crippled and on its knees, while the surrounding people form alliances in order to work together in conquering the emperor's throne and therefor the power of Tamriel.

While it is true that Most Nords live in skyrim, most redguards in hammerfell and most argonians in the black marsh, the name of provinces and the exact borders are set by the empire. You can find argonians who have travelled as far as daggerfall and nords that travelled as far as Elsweyr

With the empire on its knees, the empirial provinces and its borders have little meaning.

And not all of tamriel is explorable at the moment. for example skyrim only is opened for us in the eastmarch and riften. the rest of tamriel will follow as DLC's: http://uesp.net/wiki/Online:Crown_Store#DLC (although it is unknown wether the entire continent will one day be open).

Keep in mind that this is the first elder scroll game since Arena that all provinces of Tamriel can be visited, and it is the largest game so far. But this also means that not everything is open (yet)

Edited by Ranique on June 14, 2015 3:10PM
    Through me you pass into the city of woe:
    Through me you pass into eternal pain:
    Through me among the people lost for aye.

PC player - EU