Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

dk tank ?'s

Ruugan
Ruugan
Soul Shriven
I'm an experienced tank from traditional mmos but I'm new to this game and this type of mmo. I'm playing as a dark elf Dragon knight on the ps4. How much creativity can go into building a decent endgame pve tank? should I just go with what I feel seems like would make a good tank? or should I be just copy a tank build? can I re allocate stats and skills points later? Are tanks viable in pvp? Is there a video that explains how to play better as far as fighting properly, sort of? I'm not really sure how to explain that question better. I don't know if I'm moving around to much, trying to block to much or to little. That sort of basic player skill stuff.

Thank you
  • TheSunAlsoRises
    TheSunAlsoRises
    ✭✭✭
    Ruugan wrote: »
    I'm an experienced tank from traditional mmos but I'm new to this game and this type of mmo. I'm playing as a dark elf Dragon knight on the ps4. How much creativity can go into building a decent endgame pve tank?

you can be pretty creative. i guess PS4 doesnt have addons (yet?) but on PC, you can get addons to help swap gear and skills on the fly in a dungeon so i have various setups for trash mobs and boss fights. ie. AOE damage and snares for trash, mitigation, sustain for bosses.
    should I just go with what I feel seems like would make a good tank? or should I be just copy a tank build?

go with what feels right. you get plenty of skill points as you level and explore with game so you are free to mix and match as you level.
    can I re allocate stats and skills points later?

yes. you can respec at your faction's main city for cheap
    Are tanks viable in pvp?

sure, in a zerg. but you will need some burst if you want to 1v1.

early game, mitigation is really not an issue. i just run around and grab all the aggro i can get and use talons to hold trash mobs in place.

also, threat is not an issue in this game. you get your taunt from the 1h/shield line and undaunted (ranged taunt) line. you won't lose aggro for the duration of the taunt if you hit a mob once with it. i generally hit a mob like once every 10s with it.

as a dk, on trash mobs, i usually run in/charge in (after self buffs), use talons, tap as many as i can with taunt and block/attack as needed. boss fights, blocking is a key mechanic because it reduces the damage you take from all but channeled spells by half (maybe even dots).

No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe
  • Ruugan
    Ruugan
    Soul Shriven
    awesome! thanks for the info. That helped me out a lot. the last thing i need is the last question. its a hard one to ask and answer. TheSunAlsoRises touched a little of it. I need the fundamentals of combat in this game. maybe I'm over thinking it. I'm a huge dark souls/bloodborne fan so that maybe where its coming from.
  • TheSunAlsoRises
    TheSunAlsoRises
    ✭✭✭
    i don't know off the top of my head of any videos for combat basics but maybe miss bizz will make one. here's her thread for beginners that covers many topics: forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/1797332.

i dunno what other MMO's you've played but this game is more action than let's say WoW where you auto attack and use spells. you need to be in range and can actively dodge/block abilities.

one main concept you should know is that a fully charged heavy attack will restore stamina or magicka depending on the type of weapon equipped. melee weapons and bows restore stamina, staves restore magicka.

you can also boost your dps by doing something called "light" or "medium" weaving. that is, click light attack-> quickly hit the skill you want to use. so if you have a 2H, hit light attack->wrecking blow->light attack->wrecking blow. i use this concept heavily when solo PvE for various classes using various direct damage skills.

again, i don't have any links off the top of my head but you could easily google it or search for it on these forum :persevere:

EDIT: this site has some good tips and tricks. i like his work deltiasgaming.com/2014/10/14/eso-tanking-guide
    Edited by TheSunAlsoRises on June 11, 2015 8:47PM
    No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe
  • Ruugan
    Ruugan
    Soul Shriven
    one main concept you should know is that a fully charged heavy attack will restore stamina or magicka depending on the type of weapon equipped. melee weapons and bows restore stamina, staves restore magicka.

That rite there is some good stuff to know thank you very much.

• Ruugan
    Ruugan
    Soul Shriven
    EDIT: this site has some good tips and tricks. i like his work deltiasgaming.com/2014/10/14/eso-tanking-guide

I found this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezm3s7WWOg0 thanks for the directions
  • symonator
    symonator
    ✭✭✭
    I'm liking my imperial Dk tank at the mo - lvl 40.
    I think though the tanking on this game is way different to what i'm used to on other mmo's.

It's not hard but what i find so far is alot of people run in with pets and allsorts of stuff and the mobs run all over the place.
    Wish there was an aoe taunt.

v16 - Imperial - DK Tank
    v16 - Redguard -NB Dps
    v16 - Breton Templar - Heals
    Guildmaster of the witchers (PS4 eu) - 500 members trading guild in craglorn.
  • Ruugan
    Ruugan
    Soul Shriven
    symonator wrote: »
    I'm liking my imperial Dk tank at the mo - lvl 40.
    I think though the tanking on this game is way different to what i'm used to on other mmo's.

It's not hard but what i find so far is alot of people run in with pets and allsorts of stuff and the mobs run all over the place.
    Wish there was an aoe taunt.

Inner fire under the undaunted skill tree isnt aoe?
  • Shunravi
    Shunravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There are no ape taunts... You have to assess threat and react accordingly.

Also, you can overtaunt, so use your taunt every 10-12 seconds.
    This one has an eloquent and well thought out response to tha... Ooh sweetroll!
  • Ruugan
    Ruugan
    Soul Shriven
    Shunravi wrote: »
    There are no ape taunts... You have to assess threat and react accordingly.

Also, you can overtaunt, so use your taunt every 10-12 seconds.

You mean just a wasted taunt?