Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Name Already In Use [BUG]

Kill_Kayt
Kill_Kayt
I tried to make a new character today and I got the error message "Name Already In Use". I check and none of my other characters have that name. It would make zero sense for the game to require every character to have a unique name when the only person who can see my character names is me (everyone else just sees my GamerTag) so it must be a bug.
Edited by Kill_Kayt on June 13, 2015 8:30PM
  • twhiting9275
    Welcome to MMO land. This , unfortunately is a requirement in MMO's.
    Sadly, because we're all on two big servers (NA/EU), you're going to see this a LOT
    This is yet another reason that said jumbo server is not appropriate here

BTW: not a bug at all
    Edited by twhiting9275 on June 13, 2015 8:39PM
  • Kill_Kayt
    Kill_Kayt
    Sadly, because we're all on two big servers (NA/EU), you're going to see this a LOT

I'm not new to MMOs. No Megaserver MMO i have ever played has required Unique names (Neverwinter, Star Trek, Champions Online, Destiny) So its not a requirement as they could just use my GamerTag which OMG they already DO!. No one but yourself can see your names. You can't even inspect other players to see their class or gear... I could understand needing a Unique name if OTHER PLAYERS COULD SEE IT!!!!

So either that is a bug or the unique names is a bug. IN either case there is a BUG here.
    Edited by Kill_Kayt on June 13, 2015 9:32PM
  • MartyVendetta27
    There is no bug here. The game requires each character to have a unique name, even though you can't (currently) see that name of other players, except in cases of gifting or selling crafted items. Because of the structure of elements of the console iteration, they were forced to make Gamertags appear instead of character names, though it is something they said they will look into in the future.

Long story short, you need a unique name in the game for each character, even though it rarely comes up.
    You can't see me. You can't see me. Neither can he. No one can see me.
  • Kill_Kayt
    Kill_Kayt
    Long story short, you need a unique name in the game for each character, even though it rarely comes up.

That's lame. If i'm forced to have a unique name everyone else should see it!

Additionally why can't I inspect anyone? I can inspect in Destiny.
    Because of the structure of elements of the console iteration, they were forced to make Gamertags appear instead of character names.

That's a lie they are feeding people so they can't see their laziness. Look at Neverwinter. That's on XB1 and I can see everyones Character names not their GamerTags. GamerTags are only used for the Friends List, and because of that Character names don't have to be unique.
    Edited by Kill_Kayt on June 13, 2015 10:10PM
  • MartyVendetta27
    Kill_Kayt wrote: »

That's lame. If i'm forced to have a unique name everyone else should see it!

Additionally why can't I inspect anyone? I can inspect in Destiny.
    Because of the structure of elements of the console iteration, they were forced to make Gamertags appear instead of character names.

That's a lie they are feeding people so they can't see their laziness. Look at Neverwinter. That's on XB1 and I can see everyones Character names not their GamerTags. GamerTags are only used for the Friends List, and because of that Character names don't have to be unique.

actually, in neverwinter, they got around the issue by having it setup (Character Name)@(Gamertag). and i don't think it's laziness, did you read the AMA on reddit? there were significant hurdles in smoothly implementing the system, and they had bigger fish to fry. it's something they'll be going back to. just look up the console focused ESO AMA.

• Kill_Kayt
    Kill_Kayt
    did you read the AMA on reddit? there were significant hurdles in smoothly implementing the system, and they had bigger fish to fry. it's something they'll be going back to. just look up the console focused ESO AMA.

I did not, but I will have to. If they plan to go back to it an address then I'm ok. As long as they don't plan to leave it in this (what i consider) broken state.
    Edited by Kill_Kayt on June 13, 2015 10:22PM
  • MartyVendetta27
    did you read the AMA on reddit? there were significant hurdles in smoothly implementing the system, and they had bigger fish to fry. it's something they'll be going back to. just look up the console focused ESO AMA.

I did not, but I will have to. If they plan to go back to it an address then I'm ok. As long as they don't plan to leave it in this (what i consider) broken state.

i agree, i hate running around and seeing players named xXEliteXSnipez420 and stupid crap like that, especially when i put thought into my own character names and people see MartyVendetta27 over my head.

Ra'jhiin-Khajiit Thief
    Yazmina-Red-headed Breton girl, mage
    Hondor- Nord tank
    Emma Telymor-breton templar mage

the first three are character names and setups and looks i've used since Oblivion, Emma is my newest addition. I put thought into each of their looks and names, and for all that to go to waste is not a pain that is lost on me. I do hope it's something they address sooner rather than later, but if i had to choose between adding the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood, or player housing, and my other choice was character name display, i know what i'd rather have.

it just becomes increasingly frustrating when you see it and it seems like it SHOULD be an easy problem to fix. then again, the most i've ever programmed is the time on the microwave, so what do i know?
    Edited by MartyVendetta27 on June 13, 2015 10:32PM
  • Neirymn
    Neirymn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ra'jhiin-Khajiit Thief
    Yazmina-Red-headed Breton girl, mage
    Hondor- Nord tank
    Emma Telymor-breton templar mage

I'd love to see those names! And even Chuck Norris, Mary Poppins or other stupid names instead of freaking code like names like the one you mentioned. lol
  • RSebire
    RSebire
    Soul Shriven
    Oh, ok.
    I just downloaded the client on my Xbox One S to compare the frame rate and the graphic capability of it versus the PS4 Pro.
    But I couldn't get past the create a name bit at the end, and I even tried a few random words.

I thought it must still be linking my account from the PS4, but after the explanation above, I understand.
    I will just have to try again and see if I can come up with an even more random name this time.
    Thx all
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well everyone can see it depending upon their settings. Mine are character names
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • erio
    erio
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not new to MMOs. No Megaserver MMO i have ever played has required Unique names (Neverwinter, Star Trek, Champions Online, Destiny) So its not a requirement as they could just use my GamerTag which OMG they already DO!. No one but yourself can see your names. You can't even inspect other players to see their class or gear... I could understand needing a Unique name if OTHER PLAYERS COULD SEE IT!!!!

So either that is a bug or the unique names is a bug. IN either case there is a BUG here.

no one wants to get ganked by a guild of nightblades named all named "haha ur bad"
  • Nevasca
    Nevasca
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    erio wrote: »

no one wants to get ganked by a guild of nightblades named all named "haha ur bad"

That would be really funny ngl
  • Kill_Kayt
    Kill_Kayt
    erio wrote: »

As awesome as the would be at the time this post was made you would never have known they were all named "haha ur bad" as you could only see GamerTags. Which was the whole point of my post. In the years since they have added the ability to see character names so now requiring a Unique Name is very viable.
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can see character names in game as well as the @ name. Is that because I'm on pc? Is not seeing the names just a console thing? I don't like stupid names with no thought and random strings of numbers and symbols. I'm glad the names are unique. Most players have great and appropriate names that are role playing friendly and suit the character or at least are funny. I think names that have no effort to make the character more unique or personal and are just quickly made and thoughtless names are irritating to see and a waste of time.
  • Kill_Kayt
    Kill_Kayt
    mrsrobot wrote: »
    I can see character names in game as well as the @ name. Is that because I'm on pc? Is not seeing the names just a console thing? I don't like stupid names with no thought and random strings of numbers and symbols. I'm glad the names are unique. Most players have great and appropriate names that are role playing friendly and suit the character or at least are funny. I think names that have no effort to make the character more unique or personal and are just quickly made and thoughtless names are irritating to see and a waste of time.

Only seeing the GamerTag of other players on Xbox was a thing in 2015... When this post was created. The issue has since been resolved.. I have no idea why this thread is getting attention again.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    We are closing this discussion since it is over five years old. If you need help in knowing why a specific name is in use, please read our FAQ below.

Why won't The Elder Scrolls Online let me use this name?
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.