Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

New Crafting Certification (Introduction to Crafting) Quests in 1.4

LonePirate
LonePirate
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
As part of the 1.4 update on the PTS, there are some new level 4 introduction to crafting quests - one for each of the six Crafting skill lines. The quests are given by two different NPCs, each giving three quests apiece. The quests simply walk the player through the paces of explaining what each craft is. The player becomes certified in the craft skill line as a result of the quest, although that certification title seems to be only text or a status within the particular quest.

The quests start by having the player seek out the necessary items such as jute or runestones and then craft a specific low level item. After the item has been crafted, the quest has the player deconstruct the item, be it a dagger or a bow. The quests also inform the player of where to find items for the craft line in the future (albeit in very generic terms) and how to improve items from white to green to blue, etc. although there is no quest step to improve items.

Once completed, the quests offer 42 gold, 1000 Inspiration points for the specific craft line and a crafting related item such as one hemming, one honing stone, one pitch, a provisioner's chest with some ingredients, some bottles of natural water or the glyph you crafted for enchanting which you do not deconstruct. The usual amount of quest XP is also rewarded, I believe.

For high level crafters (not sure what constitutes as high level as the PTS template characters I used were level 50 in all crafting skills), the quests offered an option to skip all of the gathering and construction tasks and become immediately certified and thus finish the quest. I chose that option for Provisioning and it bypassed the recipe collection, ingredient gathering and cooking steps and it took me directly to the quest reward step.

The quests are started by interacting with a Crafting Writs quest marker on a post near the crafting tables in the first city of each zone (presumably). My AD character found the starter quest on a post outside the blacksmithing and clothing crafting building in Vulkhel Guard. My EP player found it on a post in Belkarth in Craglorn (where the high level PTS characters start in this update) which then sent me to Davon's Watch to perform the quests. I am going to presume the DC version is similar. Both AD and EP used the same NPC characters despite being in different factions.

I did find one bug. For the EP Provisioning quest, you must interact with a trunk to loot a Roast Pig recipe. Pressing E did not open the trunk so I abandoned the quest and took the shortcut mentioned above for high level crafters. Imade sure to log the bug via /bug. I also suspect there may be future problems with players competing for the mats to be harvested given how the locations for them within these quests are marked on your map.

Overall, I think these starter quests are a great way to introduce the crafting lines to new players as they literally take you step by step through all of the key crafting processes. There is enough explanatory text/dialogue as well to help newcomers, including a suggestion at the end to seek out guild stores and friends for crafting mats and such after you complete the quests. I was pleasantly surprised and impressed by these quests. Nice job here, ZOS!
  • LMar
    LMar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @LonePirate‌ hello, sorry to resurrect this post but I was just wondering if you can be certified in all of the crafts or do you have to choose a particular one? If you then choose another one to be certified in do you lose your certification in the previous one?
    Edited by LMar on December 20, 2014 9:21PM
    "If a stick of fish is a fish stick, it will stick like other fish sticks stick"
    "Taller races now sit in chairs correctly"
  • Gyudan
    Gyudan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @LMar: you can be certified in all the crafts if you want.
    Certification is required to access the daily crafting writs.
    Wololo.
  • LMar
    LMar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gyudan wrote: »
    @LMar: you can be certified in all the crafts if you want.
    Certification is required to access the daily crafting writs.
    Excellent thanks
    "If a stick of fish is a fish stick, it will stick like other fish sticks stick"
    "Taller races now sit in chairs correctly"
  • Knight0fTruth
    Knight0fTruth
    Soul Shriven
    Weird. The "red" "I'm ready to be certified" quest options disappeared for me after closing out the dialogue and Milenith just says "I can certify you as a blacksmith, a clothier, or a woodworker which would you like to start with" but then it gives me no options???

The other person I didn't close out of the dialogue, so he gave me all three options... is this a bug and how can I fix it? I'd much rather be certified in the first set of 3 than the second :(
  • NomaDz-2K
    NomaDz-2K
    Weird. The "red" "I'm ready to be certified" quest options disappeared for me after closing out the dialogue and Milenith just says "I can certify you as a blacksmith, a clothier, or a woodworker which would you like to start with" but then it gives me no options???

The other person I didn't close out of the dialogue, so he gave me all three options... is this a bug and how can I fix it? I'd much rather be certified in the first set of 3 than the second :(
    Yep same here...anyone got any ideas on a work around?
    Grendel ESO Ebonheart Pact PvE Guild
    Grendel ESO Ebonheart Pact PvE Guild Recruiting
    Contact PSN: NomaDz-2K
    VR16 - Dragon Knight - TANK
    VR16 - Dragon Knight - MAGICKA DPS
    VR16 - Dragon Knight - STAMINA DPS
    VR16 - TEMPLAR - HEALER/RESTO
    VR16 - SORCERER - DPS

Crafting: Blacksmith, Clothing (Medium & Light), Enchanting, Provisions and Wood Working

Crafting Level: 50 on ALL and 9 Traits

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They fixed this bug, or should have. Try getting the certification in the other lines (as that was the work around before the bug fix) and see what happens.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"