Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The walling Prison (major spoilers, hidden in spoiler box)

Artemiisia
Artemiisia
✭✭✭✭✭
After completing both version of the walling prison, I have only greatness to say about the remake.
First when entering the prison cell, I love the fact it lyris that comes to safe me instead, makes the journey more personal already from the start.

The visuals from killing the trash with the 2 hander I freaking love, and wished there were more like this in the whole game
Love how the whole tutorial is more dark and evil, feels lots more like a molag bal prison then before.

The one thing that I freaking loved, was the switch between the prophet and lyris, awesome cinematic for sure !

Now after reading the spoiler the next part makes sense, for after doing this, it got me thinking. I sooooooooo hope they will apply more like this to every main quest lines now, mages/fighters and harborage quest lines. Making them more cinematic and visual would make me level even another alt again for sure.

The major part I miss fighting these bosses, is like a cinematic epicness of them dying and such
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm, I guess this means I will have to do the Wailing Prison on my next Alt......
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Artemiisia
    Artemiisia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    heard they remade it, so I just made an alt to test it out :)
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed - the new version of the tutorial is just so much better... I like that you have to use stealth to sneak up to one of the eyes now to sneak attack it, rather than just walking up and smashing it like you did before. I like that the final boss (the bone colossus) actually drops a useful reward now for a starting character. I like that the traps are different. I like the cages full of feral soul shriven who rage at you as you pass by. I like that there's lockpicking involved.

And everything you mentioned too - especially the Lyris/Prophet swap.

The only thing I don't like is that the only weapon option you get is a two-hander (unless you get lucky with a weapon drop from a mob).
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I kinda wish I could see it... but I maxed out my characters already, and am not gonna reroll any of them I guess... Oh, well, maybe once they sell extra character slots in the crown store...
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I kinda wish I could see it... but I maxed out my characters already, and am not gonna reroll any of them I guess... Oh, well, maybe once they sell extra character slots in the crown store...
    You could always use the other server (EU if you're on NA, or vice versa) or the PTS to try it out...
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
  • izenkim_ESO
    izenkim_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I also enjoyed the changes, and I imagine that it will be a better experience for new players as well.
  • Cazic
    Cazic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed, the changes to the tutorial are pretty great. Much better experience for a new player than what we had before.
  • Artemiisia
    Artemiisia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    goood urquan I forgot to add, that we also get the opportunity to try lock picking for the first time as well, with huge timer on, for learning curve for those that are new, good thinking and yeah agree with u urquan, that heavy sneak attack was good
    Edited by Artemiisia on March 10, 2015 9:44PM
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UrQuan wrote: »
    The only thing I don't like is that the only weapon option you get is a two-hander (unless you get lucky with a weapon drop from a mob).
    Same here. Don't like that at all. The beta version where you could choose from almost any weapon at the forge was still the best in my opinion.

Overall I also really like the new Wailing Prison. The only gripe I have (other than the forced starting weapon) is that the Undercroft has become less interesting now that it is completely linear.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Kragorn
    Kragorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the removal of weapon selection is a bad move and is just more of the dumbing-down we first saw when the chopped the pre-release version of this tutorial in half. Some of the script re-working and necessary voice-over editing results in one or two very awkward 'continuity' issues and there's one at least which seems to me to be entirely a non-sequiter unless you know what the original script was.

The change to Molag Bal at the end I found lame, I don't know why they changed it, the new script adds nothing and the voice-acting is clearly not the original actor and doesn't have anything like the same 'menace' as the original portrayed.

The lock-picking tutorial is good to have and the combat tutorials are better worked I think .. though the 'blue fog' is just pointless and some people have reported lockups caused by it, in my case the graphics glitched but the game didn't lock.

All in all I was disappointed, I was expecting ZOS to go back to the pretty decent pre-release one, with maybe an addition or two, what we got really doesn't 'do it' for me: and no, it's not a case of "it was better in my day", I genuinely feel this is weaker overall than what it replaced even, let alone what is used to be.
  • adriant1978
    adriant1978
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I mostly like it but I feel bad for Er-Jaseen (going from important early exposition character to holding a door closed), I think the fact that they force a 2H sword on you instead of giving you a choice is a backward step, and the changes to Molag Bal's lines were unnecessary.
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

They already do. Go buy an extra boxed copy of ESO and you'll have 8 more character slots and can mail yourself stuff for muling to boot :D. I bought one a few weeks ago for $25 and activated it, with its free included month expiring after the conversion to buy-to-play ;).

@Kragorn, I haven't tried out the 1.6 version yet, but 1.5's was definitely far worse to me, too, compared to the prelaunch versions of the Wailing Prison :(. Sounds like it got changed even more now.
    Edited by Attorneyatlawl on March 11, 2015 11:26AM
    -First-Wave Closed Beta Tester of the Psijic Order, aka the 0.016 percent.
    Exploits suck. Don't blame just the game, blame the players abusing them!

-Playing since July 2013, back when we had a killspam channel in Cyrodiil and the lands of Tamriel were roamed by dinosaurs.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Kragorn, I haven't tried out the 1.6 version yet, but 1.5's was definitely far worse to me, too, compared to the prelaunch versions of the Wailing Prison :(. Sounds like it got changed even more now.
    Without going into any details to avoid spoilers, the instance is longer but much detail has changed so those who ran it before will be in for a lot of WTF moments; not necessarily ALL bad, one or two are good changes, but many are simply alterations or script and juxtapositions of script snippets which seem simply gratuitous and IMO certainly don't add anything.

It's different but not in a significantly better way IMO, and I miss some things and consider their elimination nothing more than dumbing-down .. or simplifying .. something that was fine as it was: even though that was still inferior to the pre-launch original.
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kragorn wrote: »
    Some of the script re-working and necessary voice-over editing results in one or two very awkward 'continuity' issues and there's one at least which seems to me to be entirely a non-sequiter unless you know what the original script was.
    I wasn't around for Beta, so I don't know the original script. I'm curious, though, as to what part you feel seems to be a non-sequiter if you don't know the original script. Off the top of my head I can't think of what it could be, but it's entirely possible that you'll mention it and I'll immediately go "hey, yeah!"
    Kragorn wrote: »
    I genuinely feel this is weaker overall than what it replaced even, let alone what is used to be.
    Again, I can't compare it to the pre-launch version, but IMO it's definitely far better than the post-launch versions. I feel it's far better at actually teaching you various mechanics and how to play the game, and I also feel it does a better job of getting you into the story quickly. Those are really what a tutorial needs to do.
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
  • Athas24
    Athas24
    ✭✭✭✭
    I also made a new alt to check out the changes and completely agree with the OP here. I loved all the cinematic portions and I think that it felt way more like a daedric prison. It was more terrifying and interesting.
    ...OverTwerked & Underpaid.
    Rajaat04 in game @Athas24 on forums
  • Aett_Thorn
    Aett_Thorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to run through the tutorial on each character, just because I liked to run around and grab a bunch of free armor and weapons, and level up some of my skills a bit before I went out into the world. Now, while the new tutorial is mechanically better, it only needs to be run through once. You only get the one weapon choice, and there are many fewer containers, so if you aren't looking to use a two-handed weapon, the chance that you'll be able to come out of it with a weapon skill available is very low.

Cinematically and mechanically better (teaches you about more abilities that you might use, like lockpicking), but functionally somewhat worse.

The only other complaint that I had with it is that when it tries to get you to do something (like block a heavy attack), it moves your camera around for some reason, and I focused on that more than what it wanted me to do.
  • Anxileel
    Anxileel
    ✭✭✭
    I mostly like it but I feel bad for Er-Jaseen (going from important early exposition character to holding a door closed), I think the fact that they force a 2H sword on you instead of giving you a choice is a backward step, and the changes to Molag Bal's lines were unnecessary.

I agree with you on that.
    Poor Er Jaseen : (
    The Argonians shall rise and the CHEESE will be endless.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    ✭✭✭
    The user and all related content has been deleted.