The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Trait Research

NpcOnStrike
Can anyone provide me with trait research times..
and any tips/trick how to do it faster ?
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stock it is 6 hours for the first one, 12 for the second, 24 for the third. This doubles each time. There are passisve to make this go faster and allow you to do more than one item at a time.

See this for the rest:
    Nestor wrote: »
    Here are some hints to researching Traits.

1. You only need to know 2 to 3 traits to start making some powerful crafted gear. Most of my VR characters use a 3 Trait set. The amount of time to learn a trait doubles for the second one, doubles again for the third etc. So, learn the two traits on each piece you will want to craft first before learning the third traits. Learn the third before learning the 4th. The best crafted sets in the game only require 6 traits, so don't start chasing the 7th and 8th traits until you know the 6th traits in all the things you want to craft.
    2. Unlock the Research Passive to allow for more items to be researched in less time
    3. The most useful traits on armor are Infused, Divines and Impenetrable. Nirn is good, but you need 20,000+ gold to even play on that table (to buy the trait stones). For weapons, Precise and Sharpened are the way to go. Training is good for anything. So concentrate on those traits first and foremost before researching the other ones.
    4. Get the Addon Research Assistant so you don't deconstruct or sell something you need to research.
    5. If you can't get the item you want for research from loot, then buy it in a guild store. Items made to be researched sell between 200 and 500 gold, try to find the cheaper ones. You can even find them less. It does not matter what level the item is, just that it has the traits that you want. Awesome Guild Store addon can help you find specific traited items.
    6. If the item does not have a trait you need, or one your going to soon research, deconstruct it. You get crafting experience to level the craft line and you get trait stones and other things to make stuff with.
    7. Join a Guild like Lone Wolf Help or similar as we run crafting nights where we make traited items for people to research.
    Edited by Nestor on May 22, 2015 2:20PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Cejao
    Cejao
    Soul Shriven
    Where can I buy the rocks that I need, to put the traits ive researched onto armor/weapons?
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Cejao wrote: »
    Where can I buy the rocks that I need, to put the traits ive researched onto armor/weapons?

You can get them by deconstructing gear, refining raw materials (iron ore, jute etc) or find them in containers (chest, cabinet, drawers, urns etc).

Try to get the crafting passives to reduce the research time of traits and improve the chance of extracting materials when refining raw materials, especially the last passive is very important for crafting.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • RazzPitazz
    RazzPitazz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Be warned!!!
    There are 9 traits for EACH weapon and for each armor piece. It will take you about 4 months to learn all of the traits for ONE item, if you happen to begin your new research as soon as your old one ends.
    This is why it is important to snag the skills to research multiple items, as well as reducing the research time as much as possible.
    You cannot begin researching the final trait, Nirnhoned, until you have learned all other traits for that item. Oh yea, nirncrux and nirnhoned items are expensive.
    PC NA
    VR1 - Jar'eed - Khajiit Dragon Knight - AD
    VR1 - Broad Tail - Argonian Templar - EP
    All-Star Crafter Guild