The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

@ZOS What specific console limitations are preventing you from allowing pre-downloading?

NewBlacksmurf
NewBlacksmurf
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
I'm specifically asking the staff:
-What specific console limitations are preventing you from providing digital codes to pre-download the console game?
-based on staff comments this was to happen in order to specifically give us the ability to pre-download the game in order to be ready to play at 12:01am at launch

Something changed

What was it?

If you can't legally share this a response as such is appreciated as well as a response to confirm or deny that per the staff post in the console beta forums who addressed a users question about pre-downloading to have access to play at 12:01am was accurate or inaccurate at the date and time their comments was left in April 2015.

Thanks
Edited by NewBlacksmurf on June 2, 2015 2:59AM
-PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • Curragraigue
    Curragraigue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is the thread I know about where they discussed this issue, it wasn't in the beta section so you can still see it

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/1751489/#Comment_1751489

The ZOS mod said we would be able to pre-download (we can) and the intention was to allow us to download so that we can be able to start straight away on 9 June. I'm as annoyed as you OP because it means I will miss launch (took 2-3 days to download the beta so I assume it will be the same again this time) but I think you are overstating what ZOS has previously said. Things change we just have to roll with it like ZOS does, I'm sure they would like to have been able to offer the pre-download earlier but they can't.
    PUG Life - the true test of your skill

18 characters, 17 max level, at least 1 Stam and 1 Mag of every class, 1 of every race and 1200+ CP

Tanked to Undaunted 9+ Mag and Stam of every class using Group Finder for 90+% of the Vet Dungeon runs
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Curragraigue

Compare the original....is it me or was this edited ? It's the same post but the wording was changed!

Edit: you don't have the right post, go here:

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/1769762/#Comment_1769762

ZOS statment:
    "Additionally, PC/Mac players who are eligible for and purchase the transfer to console will be able to pre-download. If you pre-ordered or purchase a copy of ESOTU for consoles from a retailer, you will not be able to pre-download. "

Another user then asked:
    So those of us who did the console transfer, the game will show up as purchased on the Xbox Marketplace or PlayStation Store and we just download it from there? I ask because the console transfer never once took me to the console store

ZOS responds again:

"If you purchased the PC/Mac to console transfer, you'll receive an e-mail in the coming weeks with instructions on exactly how the transfer works and any instructions you need to follow. You'll also receive a digital code that will allow you to access the game on the console you selected. Keep an eye on your e-mail for that information! "

This is all under the same context of the original question in the thread name:
    Pre download/grace period for people who pre ordered physical edition of ESO Bookmark

OP questions:
    That is something I am thinking about since beta...

I pre-ordered for release date delivery, a while ago, the physical imperial edition of ESO.
    I lke physical games, maps and can not resist to the book (I collect tes books).

So, if I remember correctly PC players who preordered the physical IE were able to play before receiving the game, they did not have to wait all day for the delivery then install the game. I can be wrong...

I mean it is not a big deal but I would really love to have this option and don't feel pushed to download the regular version on the Xbox store to be able to pre download and then play at 12.01 on release. Please Zos react about this...

Edited by NewBlacksmurf on June 2, 2015 3:20AM
  • Zazaaji
    Zazaaji
    ✭✭✭✭
    Really, it sounds like it's some limitation that both Microsoft and Sony place on their consoles, and ZoS didn't read that in the third party publishing terms. They made the promise of peloading for the code-based preorder before they read the terms. Then sometime between today and when they first told us it can be preloaded, someone at ZoS finally read the Sony/Microsoft terms and realized they can't do it afterall.

Pure guess/speculation, but it would make sense on ALL fronts and angles, explaining both why ZoS seemed to make a promise they went back on, as well as why they can't in the first place.
    -
    Edited by Zazaaji on June 2, 2015 4:41AM
    English is not my first language, Finnish is.
    Please don't heap on me for grammar problems.
  • Sausage
    Sausage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They want us we suffer, gladly I was smart enough to use all of my enlightment yesterday.
  • Casdha
    Casdha
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just hope they don't change being able to shelf the transfer until I purchase a console as I don't have one yet. I just knew that I would one day and didn't want to miss the one time bargain.
    Proud member of the Psijic Order - The first wave - The 0.016%

• Nerio
    Nerio
    ✭✭✭
    I posted this in another thread but it seems relevant here....

Microsoft distributing keys that they likely own is different than ZOS distributing keys that Microsoft likely owns. Doing this only for pre-orders through the Microsoft store makes purchasing there more attractive and brings more sales in through their store, which gets them more money.

It's very possible that Microsoft is dictating that they are the only one's who can offer a full pre-order because of that, and them and ZoS had a break down in communication about it.
  • Hawk269
    Hawk269
    ✭✭✭
    What makes matters worse is that typically on Xbox One, Digital Versions of games are unlocked at Mid-Night on Tuesday, so technically we should be able to play at 12:01am Tuesday morning. On the Xbox One, even if you are on the West Coast at 9pm PST you are normally able to play new games at that time.

Due to this last minute ***-up, there is no way that the majority of players will be able to download the entire game and be ready.

I think what is making most of us upset is the fact that right NOW people can log into Xbox Live and download the game and be ready. But for those like me that have been paying monthly (for 2 accounts since my Wife Plays), been playing since PC Launch, plus the initial cost of buying the game, plus the $20.00 transfer fee, it just feels like we are at a disadvantage to those that have had no vested and/or financial interest in the game until now.

I specifically took time off of work and so did my Wife so we can play at launch and now that is not going to be happening. Yes, it is just a video game and life will go on, but that is not the point. NewBlackSmurf brings a lot of valid questions. If they are able to provide codes the day before, why cant they provide them a few days earlier. Why are people able to buy and pre-download now, but those of us that have supported ZOS and the game have to wait to the last minute to pre-download.

I mean if there is a valid reason, then why was this not disclosed earlier?

In addition to questions posed by NewBlackSmurf, I would like to ask the following:

1. Is the code we are being provided, just a standard code that at times companies give away, like the codes for pack-in downloadable games?
    2. Can we sell our Code if we want?
    3. Is there anything in the Codes ZOS is providing that is synced or associated with our transfer or account?

The reasoning for my questions is that I am thinking of just buying the game from the Xbox Live Marketplace and downloading now and then selling my Code to a friend for $50.00. This way, I can play at launch and he gets in on the game at a slight discount instead of going retail.

• Hawk269
    Hawk269
    ✭✭✭
    Nerio wrote: »
    I posted this in another thread but it seems relevant here....

Microsoft distributing keys that they likely own is different than ZOS distributing keys that Microsoft likely owns. Doing this only for pre-orders through the Microsoft store makes purchasing there more attractive and brings more sales in through their store, which gets them more money.

It's very possible that Microsoft is dictating that they are the only one's who can offer a full pre-order because of that, and them and ZoS had a break down in communication about it.

I think that is entirely possible and reasonable, but the fact is that ZOS earthier did not understand or they just failed to communicate that to those of us doing the transfer. I mean, technically they are providing the code before the game launches, so perhaps they feel they are in the clear, but I think and this is just my opinion, deep down they must know that this is upsetting a large amount of people and it would behoove them to let us know what is actually going on outside of "console restrictions".

If this is the case, then why did they not open up the transfer to the 100's begging since they missed it or did not play ESO at the time the transfer was being offered? It just sounds like a lot of mis-management and communication issues and for a company trying to push a MMO, communication with the fans is critical.
  • Grimnaur
    Grimnaur
    ✭✭✭
    They're just trying to let the people new to the game have a head start to catch up with all the VR14 transfers.
    “Laugh whenever you can. Keeps you from killing yourself when things are bad. That and vodka.” - J.B.
  • wrlifeboil
    wrlifeboil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Curragraigue

Compare the original....is it me or was this edited ? It's the same post but the wording was changed!

Edit: you don't have the right post, go here:

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/1769762/#Comment_1769762

ZOS statment:
    "Additionally, PC/Mac players who are eligible for and purchase the transfer to console will be able to pre-download. If you pre-ordered or purchase a copy of ESOTU for consoles from a retailer, you will not be able to pre-download. "

Another user then asked:
    So those of us who did the console transfer, the game will show up as purchased on the Xbox Marketplace or PlayStation Store and we just download it from there? I ask because the console transfer never once took me to the console store

ZOS responds again:

"If you purchased the PC/Mac to console transfer, you'll receive an e-mail in the coming weeks with instructions on exactly how the transfer works and any instructions you need to follow. You'll also receive a digital code that will allow you to access the game on the console you selected. Keep an eye on your e-mail for that information! "

This is all under the same context of the original question in the thread name:
    Pre download/grace period for people who pre ordered physical edition of ESO Bookmark

OP questions:
    That is something I am thinking about since beta...

I pre-ordered for release date delivery, a while ago, the physical imperial edition of ESO.
    I lke physical games, maps and can not resist to the book (I collect tes books).

So, if I remember correctly PC players who preordered the physical IE were able to play before receiving the game, they did not have to wait all day for the delivery then install the game. I can be wrong...

I mean it is not a big deal but I would really love to have this option and don't feel pushed to download the regular version on the Xbox store to be able to pre download and then play at 12.01 on release. Please Zos react about this...

In answer to your question about the Imperial Edition PC version, those who bought the original PC version of the Imperial Edition from online retailers were emailed a code to activate ESO so it could be played the minute the game went live during the pre-launch.

I don't know about others but I had all the files downloaded already because I had been in beta.
  • Enaijo
    Enaijo
    ✭✭✭
    I'm interested in these so called "console limitations" too. I can only speak for the PS4 and Sony, but as developer there, you can do nearly everything you want with codes. Give out codes that work before the official launch (for the press as example), give out codes that just work at launch but let you preload a game and so on ... that's really nothing special on the PS4 and I doubt it is on the XB1.

Wouldn't be the first time they point with the finger to others instead of telling us, that they messed up something.
  • Heromofo
    Heromofo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please answer ZOS really ticked off about this especially when the game will be around 65 gigabytes to download its going to take me days. :(

Spewin i took time off work for the release lol what a waste of leave time.
    Edited by Heromofo on June 2, 2015 7:45AM
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enaijo wrote: »
    I'm interested in these so called "console limitations" too. I can only speak for the PS4 and Sony, but as developer there, you can do nearly everything you want with codes. Give out codes that work before the official launch (for the press as example), give out codes that just work at launch but let you preload a game and so on ... that's really nothing special on the PS4 and I doubt it is on the XB1.

Wouldn't be the first time they point with the finger to others instead of telling us, that they messed up something.

Yeah...hoping for a statement, from official staff on this
    The only limitation that makes sense is they don't have enough to give everyone, they have to pay $ and are short or they overlooked terms and conditions and misrepresented the availability.

Edited by NewBlacksmurf on June 2, 2015 8:26AM
  • Ojustaboo
    Ojustaboo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zenimax aren't doing themselves any favours with their silence, it just feels like here we go again.

They say one thing, do another.

If they are changing old posts to try and hide what was originally said, that's even worse, do they think we are stupid?

If they just admit they screwed up, I'd have a lot more respect.

It's obvious from their email, they knew we were all expecting to be able to download a few days in advance.

I read on Reddit that players are now purchasing the Xbone digital pre order, downloading the game, then cancelling their pre order to get around this. That can't be good for MS or Zenimax (what's MS going to think if 100s of people cancel their TESO pre order's)

It's as though Zenimax hasn't learnt anything from the PC release, one of the biggest complaints being lack of communication.
  • Peekachu99
    Peekachu99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Same issues that prevent cross-server, text chat, certain "popular" addons from PC that were supposed to be added, and so on. I'm surprised to see you, of all people, defending ZoS. I guess they finally made a decision that you didn't agree with and you've been forced to reconsider your rather intractable defensive posture. Now you know how everyone else felt over all the other asinine decisions and redacted statements that ZoS has made recently, stuff which you vehemently sided with ZoS over and demanded that we just "accept" as design choices or whatever. Consider this a next-gen feature, Smurf. Patience. The developers are trying to teach us how to be better people through careful meditation (that was sarcasm, btw).

Since I have a fiber-optics, direct line connection to my consoles and PC and it only takes me a few hours to download tens of gigs, I'm going to adopt your apathy in this instance and shrug my shoulders. You can expect the same indifference from ZoS. Just radio silence, then launch.
  • Rhazmuz
    Rhazmuz
    ✭✭✭
    What do you hope to gain from this?

We will get the codes on the 8th, thats how it is, nothing we can do about that.

Accept and move on.
    Rhazmuz - Nord DK tank
    PS4 - EU
  • Ojustaboo
    Ojustaboo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rhazmuz wrote: »

We will get the codes on the 8th, thats how it is, nothing we can do about that.

Accept and move on.

You are welcome to accept such bad customer service quietly if you wish.

I and others are just as welcome to vent our unhappiness.
  • Ojustaboo
    Ojustaboo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Peekachu99 wrote: »

Since I have a fiber-optics, direct line connection to my consoles and PC and it only takes me a few hours to download tens of gigs, I'm going to adopt your apathy in this instance and shrug my shoulders. You can expect the same indifference from ZoS. Just radio silence, then launch.

I too have fiber, but for me in the UK, PsN (wired connection) does not make full use of my available bandwidth. I suspect that come the 8th, it will be slower than usual due to everyone trying to do their 65 GB download.
  • Peekachu99
    Peekachu99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ojustaboo wrote: »
    Peekachu99 wrote: »

I too have fiber, but for me in the UK, PsN (wired connection) does not make full use of my available bandwidth. I suspect that come the 8th, it will be slower than usual due to everyone trying to do their 65 GB download.

Hence why I implied a few hours. FO at full bandwidth would take less than half an hour. Darned telecommunications companies throttle everything. I'll still have ESO on the 8th, it'll just take longer.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rhazmuz wrote: »

Accept and move on.

The purpose of this thread is to clarify an earlier comment from ZOS staff and to maybe understand what limitations are causing this.

While it may not matter to you I do support for Xbox so this information assists me and others when handling customer support chats or forum questions regarding Xbox and TESOTU
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on June 2, 2015 11:22AM
  • Pallmor
    Pallmor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everything about they way they're handling this launch points to a game that they're not very confident in. No open beta, no stress testing, no early access. It's like they dread the release and want to put it off until the last possible second.

It's all just not a good sign.
  • symonator
    symonator
    ✭✭✭
    For Playstation (EU) we can pre-load on the 5th, if you buy it on the store.
    Other than that you'll just have to accept they changed their mind to provide it as they orginally intended. (sounds familiar) --lol.

v16 - Imperial - DK Tank
    v16 - Redguard -NB Dps
    v16 - Breton Templar - Heals
    Guildmaster of the witchers (PS4 eu) - 500 members trading guild in craglorn.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I expect that they are/were right on the very deadline for certification and preload is not possible until that milestone is reached. It probably takes a few days or a couple of weeks to set that up.
    Edited by Elsonso on June 2, 2015 2:30PM
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Casdha
    Casdha
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it would be funny as heck if they put out a patch on the 8th at regular time and everyone who got to download early didn't realize it until they went to start the game up and then had to wait like everyone who got transfers.

Ooops, Maybe I should have kept that thought to myself if I wanted this to happen, now they had someone think about it and they might push the first patch off a week or two.
    Proud member of the Psijic Order - The first wave - The 0.016%