The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Riding and Hirelings Cooldowns

deleted220103-006055
Please consider the following suggestion.

You know how the riding skills training timer is not 24 hours but 20 hours? This makes a lot of sense, as it does not result in the training inevitably getting pushed further and further forward in time each day, if one does not time his logins perfectly. This way, if I wake up at 12 and train at 12:30, I can wake up at 10 tomorrow and train at 10:30, and at 9 the next day and train at 9:30, etc.

Craft hirelings should be similarly designed, with lowbie hirelings on 20-hour cooldown, and 3/3 hirelings on 10-hour cooldown.

Thanks!
  • Natjur
    Natjur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please consider the following suggestion.

You know how the riding skills training timer is not 24 hours but 20 hours? This makes a lot of sense, as it does not result in the training inevitably getting pushed further and further forward in time each day, if one does not time his logins perfectly. This way, if I wake up at 12 and train at 12:30, I can wake up at 10 tomorrow and train at 10:30, and at 9 the next day and train at 9:30, etc.

Craft hirelings should be similarly designed, with lowbie hirelings on 20-hour cooldown, and 3/3 hirelings on 10-hour cooldown.

Thanks!
    I prefer the lowbie hireling on 20-hours and the 3/3 hireling still on 20 hours but give x2 the stuff.
    This means I can do all hirelings and horses at the same time
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of us have been asking for this (or something similar) since launch. Sadly, ZOS hasn't listened to us yet.

The approach I personally would prefer is to have all hireling mails automatically sent to the player account (so if you've got hirelings on multiple characters you don't have to log in to each character to get the mail) at midnight every day. If you have a 3/3 hireling then you either get 2 mails at midnight, or 1 mail with double the contents (I'd prefer 1 mail with double the contents). Mails will build up for a maximum of 5 days or so, or until your mailbox is full, whichever comes first. This way you still have to keep logging in to get your mail, but not necessarily every single day, and you don't run into the problem you describe above where it inevitably gets pushed back slightly every single day (especially on days with maintenance).

But I'd be happy with a 20 hour timer too. Either way would be a vast improvement over the current system.

Edit: for clarity, when I say "A lot of us have been asking for this since launch" I don't intend for that to be dismissive of your idea. It's intended as "I feel your pain and agree with you."
    Edited by UrQuan on May 26, 2015 4:18AM
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Tarukmockto
    Tarukmockto
    ✭✭✭
    @SunDrenched: The thread below used to get bumped regularly, but it looks like back in April (almost a year old at that point) folks gave up. You might find it an interesting read.
    forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/93659/request-for-a-change-in-hireling-timer-mechanics
    Edited by Tarukmockto on May 26, 2015 9:26PM
    NA - DC - DK - PC
  • deleted220103-006055
    @Tarukmockto: That's a very good thread, and it looks like I'm less ingenious than I thought, with people proposing a similar solution there.

I think this particular improvement in the lengths of the timers (to 20 hours and 10 hours) is the most modest proposal, not to mention consistent with the riding mechanic, which would require only a trivial change in the game's code.
    Edited by deleted220103-006055 on June 1, 2015 5:57PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I keep hoping that one of the Patch Notes says "Hireling Timers are now 10/20 hours"

It was not so bad back when I was just logging through the mules, the creep did not factor in that much. But, with Writs, the creep is more like 30 minutes or more each day. I have gotten to the point where I am skipping a day on my hireling logs. This way I can at least take care of them the same time every other day.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd be happy with 11/22 hours quite frankly, it would then let me do it around 6AM/PM instead of having to do a reset every so often.
    Edited by Woolenthreads on June 1, 2015 11:00PM
    Oooh look, lot's of Butterflies! Wait! Butterflies? Get out of here Sheo, stop bugging me!

Having issues with Provisioning Writs? A list of problem Writs and people willing to help in game can be found in this Thread
  • deleted220103-006055
    @Nestor: I like the term "creep" that you've used. So, a polite note to developers: please fix the Hirelings Time Creep issue.

If you want to streamline Hirelings even beyond that, as per other players' suggestions and your best judgment, then feel free, as well.
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This is one of those issues that has annoyed users since release. It epitomizes how ZOS has failed to make simple changes that would greatly improve the user experience. Maybe even more annoying is the complete lack of feedback from ZOS to explain why they have not made what seems like a simple, highly requested change. It seems rather arrogant that they won't tell us why they cannot or choose not to change this. Way to inspire loyalty there, ZOS.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    *raises hand* In favour.

20 hour hierlings would make my month if they ever go ahead with that.
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord