The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Why are some spells/abilities not greyed out when my target is too far away.

gezzerb16_ESO
I'm running a DK fire mage/healer and I've found that some abilities like fiery claws can be used even when the target is too far away, just nothing happens. While I understand that the spell in my example is an AoE spell as far as I know it only targets the mobs in your range of vision. So when I have my target cursor on the single NPC I can see and it's too far away I can still trigger it. I wish with spells like FC that it would either grey out if it won't land on the target, or give you an indication (like most other AoE ones do) where the spell will land so you can move closer if needed.
  • glak
    glak
    ✭✭✭
    AoE's have traditionally worked this way in most MMOs back when ZOS' designers worked on MMOs. I would like the option to turn on that behavior as you said, though.

Another point of view is that critters are targetable by AoEs. Letting an AoE become available when a critter crosses your path between you and your enemy would be just as confusing.

Oh and I want a "don't target critters, ever" option.
  • Seri
    Seri
    ✭✭✭✭
    glak wrote: »
    CqYO6Cn.jpg
    :D

A single target spell being fired off at a random critter wandering past is also just as annoying. Teach me not to tab target in dungeons more often while healing.
    EP CP160+ Templar, Sorc, NB
    DC CP160+ Templar, Sorc, DK
  • glak
    glak
    ✭✭✭
    Seri wrote: »
    glak wrote: »
    CqYO6Cn.jpg
    :D

A single target spell being fired off at a random critter wandering past is also just as annoying. Teach me not to tab target in dungeons more often while healing.
    Awesome advice from Combat Log Statistics!
  • RoyJade
    RoyJade
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    These skill don't need a target, and for that reason they are fantastic in pvp : you can hit a stealthy enemy, like a dark cloak spamming NB or a invisibility potion user.