The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Reports of Tellile Aedorin

Urik_Halfdan
"7th of Sun's Dusk 572 2E

Master, I have been doing as you bade me, as fast as my ears can hear, and my mouth can speak. The tale of Tsun's Anvil has been passed down from generation to generation. Often told and retold on a cold night around a fire, or in a mead-hall after a proving. Though recounted again, and again some of the details have fallen victim to time itself. Since it's inception was never officially recorded there is some debate about the details that motivated it's creation. The most commonly agreed upon telling is that of Skjori Small-tooth's “Song of the Anvil”. Skjori was the Anvil's first scholar, and the first to physically record its history.

It is commonly understood that the Anvil was founded somewhere around the end of the first Era by a Housecarl who watches his Jarl die a slow dishonorable death after proving to be a coward. The exact time this occurred is one of the forgotten details. Some place it around 1E 1030 claiming that Red Eagle was extremely influential on the Housecarl, even going so far as insisting they were friends. I am inclined to disagree. I think a more accurate placement would be between 1E 2703, and 1E 2809. I say this because there are tales of the Housecarl fighting in the Battle of Pale Pass, as well as single-handedly fighting dragons. I have found no solid evidence to support these claims, however, it is fitting to assume he lived within that time given the number of tales involving events of that period.

I had hoped it would be easy enough to establishing when this Housecarl lived, as well as how Tsun's Anvil began, but this is proving not to be true. The challenge lies in simply separating facts from fiction. This Housecarl seems to be more myth than anything else. Each person who recounts the tale seems to have infused the character with sprinklings of who they believe he should have been, or things they believe he should have done. Each time it is told it is slightly bent to fit the challenges facing them at the time. At any rate, I will need a considerable amount of time to feel confident that I have gotten the information you have asked of me.

-Always your' faithful servant, Tellile Aedorin"
  • Urik_Halfdan
    "31st of Evening Star 572 2E

Master, I come to you again with news of this “Tsun's Anvil”. I have only been able to watch their movements from afar since arriving here, but I believe my luck has turned. I was in a mead hall not two nights ago when I overheard a young Nord bragging about being received into the Anvil. He mentioned several times his upcoming investiture. These damned Nords and their mead. Their excessive drinking has been nothing but a headache for me since I came to this dismally frigid kingdom. At least now something is coming of it. I intend to follow him to this “investiture” perhaps it will glean some useful information. Information that hopefully satisfies a portion of my assignment. I will write you again as soon as this is over.

-Always your' faithful servant, Tellile Aedorin"
  • Urik_Halfdan
    “1st of Morning Star 572 2E

Master, I have gone to the aforementioned investiture, and I must confess, it was truly something to behold. Even in the traditional Nordic, boorish deportment, there was a sense of decorum, and solemnity. Parts were so steeped in tradition and legend that an air of reverence swept across all in attendance. So much so, that even I was not unaffected.

I have learned much of Tsun's Anvil during this ceremony. They call it a “Proving”, where the inductee is brought into the fold through a series of challenges over the course of four days. The first day they come together to feast and drink through the night before fasting for the remainder of the proving. On the morning of the second day they set out as one, into the hills and forests pitting themselves against hunger, thirst, combat, and the elements. They fought everything natural, and unnatural, throwing themselves headlong into the face of death itself, almost mocking it's existence. These “Trials” as they are known last for two days before they make their way up a mountain to a forge set on it's peak. On the fourth day they gathered at their forge, taking the axes, hammers, and swords of all present, and reforge them with the weapon of the newest member. Each broken down, and remade with the combined materials of each member's weapon. As the final blow to each weapon was struck all recited the following verse.

“Axe of young, and sword of old
    Forged anew as stories told
    Blood was shed, blood was bound
    A stranger lost, a brother found”

This reforging seems to represent the solidity of the proving. I get the impression that once you become a part of the Anvil, you do not leave. I also believe that it somehow represents the lineage of Tsun's Anvil. The reforging at the Proving suggests that each blade has at least some small part of every member's weapon throughout it's history. After this is concluded they returned to their hall, and celebrate with explosive intensity. This was the point at which I was ripped from my stupefaction, and thrown back into my disdain for their obsession with uproarious self indulgence.

It should also be noted that the name of the Nord for whom all this took place is Vjorik-Halfdan. The youngest son of Bruthrir-Halfdan, one of the names you have given me. I will attempt to learn more, and can only hope I continue to uncover that which you seek.

-Always your' faithful servant, Tellile Aedorin”