The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Bound Armor in PVE and PVP

SevenLord
SevenLord
I see so many ppl using this skill for PVE but not for PVP? why is that?
Also, check this compare, all of the next picture are from my sorc, at the same time (no buffs/changes):
Bound Armor:
Sjx7XRV.png
Lightning Form:
SjyQUCR.png
Annulment:
SjAidx5.png

So why ppl use it for PVE rather other shield?
And why I don't see ppl use it for PVP?
  • DHBM
    DHBM
    sorcs use it for the extra 5% magika you get. (7% when the skill is maxed out)
  • SevenLord
    SevenLord
    DHBM wrote: »
    sorcs use it for the extra 5% magika you get. (7% when the skill is maxed out)
    Is that what really keep them alive in combat? (PVE)
  • RoyJade
    RoyJade
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    8% max magicka is huge, very huge. Sorc need that in pve to do a decent amount of damage. We don't use that as a shield, we have hardened ward for that.
    And there is a bug who can give the bound armor bonus even when not slotted, and ZOS don't want to change that, so… (but I don't use it in pvp, I hate exploit i pvp and I avoid it in pve when I can).
  • zachary4828
    zachary4828
    ✭✭
    Once you start running the same content over and over again you get used to controlling incoming damage, and damage output becomes your primary concern. This is when the increased damage from bound armor gives you an edge. As a sorc you are only using three or four abilities to do damage directly, that leaves the rest of your bars for utility to increase the output of those damage spells, bound armor is one of these spells.

In PvP incoming damage is much harder to control and utility slots gets shifted from damage to survival and control, two things not as important for PvE content. Although bound armor is a survival buff, other abilities provide far more so this spell often gets the axe.

Bound armor looks like a defensive ability at first glance, but it is the magika increase that it is used for and which provides a substantial increase to DPS passively.
  • SevenLord
    SevenLord
    Thanks for the comments guys, really helped me out to understand. :smile: