The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Hunting for leather. Can't loot hide higher than my character level.

Elderskrye
Elderskrye
✭✭
At V3 I got top grade hide from V5 animals instead of ironhide. Now at V5 I'm getting ironhide from v13 animals in Craglorn. Is there a rule. I can do writs for shadowthread, but not shadowhide. Hello? ZOS? Anyone?
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The mats you get from drops are keyed to your level. My clothing crafter at VR8 can't get the stuff either.

My best suggestion is to buy the Shadowhide from Guild Kiosks. There is more than you think for sale with all the Nirn Trait Stone farming up there.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• vovus69
    vovus69
    ✭✭✭✭
    Go to higher zone vet zone. If you are v5 - go to v5 vet zone. Craglorn is separate - here you always will have stuff the same level your char is.
    "If I'll need your opinion, I'll give one to you" - Rivenspire
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    The mats you get from drops are keyed to your level. My clothing crafter at VR8 can't get the stuff either.

My best suggestion is to buy the Shadowhide from Guild Kiosks. There is more than you think for sale with all the Nirn Trait Stone farming up there.

I think Vovus is right, it's just Craglorn. In other regions you get the raw mats based on the level of the critters. If you kill a L36 Critter you get leather scraps, if you kill a VR1 critter you get Topgrain Scraps and your level doesn't matter. I know this is still the case because I go material hunting with my VR7 in the VR1-VR2 Areas for wood, plant mats and raw metals and the critters that get in my way give me topgrain scraps. I do mat hunting there, because there's a high demand for raw mats from ares that some ranks can't get to easily, like VR1 and Coldharbour and I have hungry guild stores.

#edit: grammar and spelling but also added the character level for hunting.
    Edited by Woolenthreads on May 21, 2015 10:32PM
    Oooh look, lot's of Butterflies! Wait! Butterflies? Get out of here Sheo, stop bugging me!

Having issues with Provisioning Writs? A list of problem Writs and people willing to help in game can be found in this Thread
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think Vovus is right, it's just Craglorn. In other regions you get the raw mats based on the level of the critters.

Then he would need to go to a VR9/10 zone to get Shadowhide. All your going to get in a VR5 zone is Ironhide.

So, unless the OP can get to a VR9 zone, he needs to buy the stuff. My suggestion still stands.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »

I think Vovus is right, it's just Craglorn. In other regions you get the raw mats based on the level of the critters.

Then he would need to go to a VR9/10 zone to get Shadowhide. All your going to get in a VR5 zone is Ironhide.

So, unless the OP can get to a VR9 zone, he needs to buy the stuff. My suggestion still stands.
    You're right that he needs to buy Shadowhide if he's operating out of Craglorn.

Elderskyre, you're a V5 killing V13 Critters though, so you should probably consider finishing Cadwells Silver then making your way to the 4th-5th regions of Gold Cadwells and start farming there. You should be able to walk there if you started in AD/DC otherwise you're going to have to hop on a boat to Grahtwood and then walk there if you started as EP.
    Oooh look, lot's of Butterflies! Wait! Butterflies? Get out of here Sheo, stop bugging me!

Having issues with Provisioning Writs? A list of problem Writs and people willing to help in game can be found in this Thread
  • eNumbra
    eNumbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, op, this is unfortunately how it works.
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Craglorn, like Cyrodiil, scales rewards to player level, not zone level.

If you go to your V9/10 zone, you will get shadowhide from mobs regardless of what your level is.
    The Moot Councillor