The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

main storyline not progressing - started late

am1cable
am1cable
Soul Shriven
I started doing the main story after reaching level 40, since I didn't feel like backtracking to the harborage every 10 levels - I completed the first quest but the prophet never appeared to me after to continue. Even leveling up after doing part one, I haven't gotten any prompt to return. What do?
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    You need to be in a major town for the prophet to appear. There can be a time delay between the quests. They are not designed for it and pretty buggy if you try to do them in a row.
    Through me you pass into the city of woe:
    Through me you pass into eternal pain:
    Through me among the people lost for aye.

PC player - EU
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, he'll only appear in the major towns and cities. If he's not doing that, you could try going back to the house/boat you woke up in at the start of the game, and see if he appears there. (There was a bug that was stopping him turning up if you skipped the Tutorial on a new character, and this was the apparent way to fix it.)
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    More specifically, he'll only appear near a wayshrine in a town or city. So try travelling to wayshrines in cities - he'll likely show up shortly.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UrQuan wrote: »
    More specifically, he'll only appear near a wayshrine in a town or city. So try travelling to wayshrines in cities - he'll likely show up shortly.
    I have not found that to be the case; he'll turn up anywhere when you hit the safe areas. I've seen him by the main gates of cities, outside the walls, in the middle of a house ... basically as soon as you enter the safe zone and the place name appears in the top-right corner, that's when he'll appear. The time he appeared in the middle of a house was when I was already in one of those cities and hit Level 20 during a fight in that house.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    UrQuan wrote: »
    I have not found that to be the case; he'll turn up anywhere when you hit the safe areas. I've seen him by the main gates of cities, outside the walls, in the middle of a house ... basically as soon as you enter the safe zone and the place name appears in the top-right corner, that's when he'll appear. The time he appeared in the middle of a house was when I was already in one of those cities and hit Level 20 during a fight in that house.
    Really? I've only ever had him appear either when I ported in at a wayshrine, or when I was walking past one. In particular I remember once when I had leveled up in Crow's Wood public dungeon in Stonefalls. From there I went all the way through Davon's Watch to get to the wayshrine, and he only appeared right as I got close to the wayshrine.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    He usually shows up near a Wayshrine, but I have had him chase me all over town on my Mules. The Wayshrine thing is probably because you have to have a cell load to get him to show up, and wayshrine travel is just that. I also did not see him when I was just standing there, but like when I left a building, he would show up. I have two mules that are ignoring the MQ and they pretty much stay either in Daggerfall or Wayrest and never been anywhere else. I finally had to accept his invitation so he would leave me alone.
    Edited by Nestor on May 19, 2015 9:03PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"