The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Re-Work The Crafting?

CodyFurlong
CodyFurlong
✭✭
I think that the crafting systems needs to be re done, mostly the armor and weapons. The problem I have with it, is that you craft a full set of armor and weapons for your level. Then you go out and do a few quest, and bam, 30 min to an hour later you leveled up twice, go craft a new full set of armor. So you do that, then another hour later, oh you need to go craft another full set, because the set you just made is now under leveled.

It get's to the point where it just starts to become too much. When you either run out of iron, and can't find any more, or while you are grining out iron enough to try and make your new set, then you go up two more levels, and are left with half a set of armor, and having to start the next set to match your new level. I think that instead of having the craftibles come at every two levels they should be at four or five. That way you would actually have tome to be able to get use out of the gear you craft, instead, of having it become obsolete almost as soon as you've finished making it.
You search and search for something, never realizing it is within and always has been. You can not find it, you can not understand it, you simply accept, and believe, and it will grow. - Heretic's Faith, Randall N. Bills
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use to feel exactly like you, until I learned that during leveling, gear is not all that important. Now, I make a set every 4 to 6 levels (improved to Green for under L30/L36 and will improve a couple of things like Chest/Legs/Helm/Weapon (or all of it if I have an abundance of tempers) to Blue for levels up to 50. I think in the future, I will only bother to make armor once they move up to the next material level qualification (to wear, not craft). Weapons I might make a bit more often, but usually it all gets done at once.

My last character, a Templar, I was only making armor for her every 8 to 10 levels. Mostly because she was so deadly that I never felt under-equipped. Heck, she is VR6 right now sporting VR3 Blue armor. I do plan on giving her something new tonight though. It did help that she was not doing any crafting at all, so I could put all skill points into combat/defense/support skills so she was quite deadly. A crafter may not have the skill points to be super deadly while leveling, so might need armor a bit more often. But, since I have my two master crafters, I can focus skill points on alts from here on out.
    Edited by Nestor on May 1, 2015 9:43PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• krulerb14_ESO
    krulerb14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I would like the ability to rework/retool/upgrade your own armor or weapons, if you meet the crafting requirements to make and have the base crafting material. This could also be done for other players with a consignment window and would increase work for craftsmen.
  • RazzPitazz
    RazzPitazz
    ✭✭✭✭
    I only make armor/weapons when leveling for any of my toons when I cant get a drop withing 5-6 levels. At which point I wait another level and I usually get it. Most crafted gear is best served for VR levels, and even then don't bother going out of your way to make the best stuff until you hit cap or close to it.
    Edited by RazzPitazz on May 2, 2015 4:46AM
    PC NA
    VR1 - Jar'eed - Khajiit Dragon Knight - AD
    VR1 - Broad Tail - Argonian Templar - EP
    All-Star Crafter Guild
  • ArRashid
    ArRashid
    ✭✭✭✭
    Make another form of Improvement - reforging the item (looks stay the same) for higher level.
    So for example by reforging lvl 16 Steel shoulders with ~60 Steel Ingots you raise it's level to 46.

That would:
    1) make low level materials useful beyond just crafting XP
    2) allow people to use low-tier looks on their armor
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gear is not that important when leveling up. I make new set gear every tenth level when material change. I even use level 36 all the way to VR1. But i do improve them to blue, except chest and weapon to purple.
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • Iluvrien
    Iluvrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I took my time, explored every nook and cranny, found every Point of Interest on the map and found that by so doing:

1) I leveled up at an acceptable pace for my crafting as I spent just as much time on wandering around the map as I did on questing.
    2) During my extensive travels across the map I did, of course, run into an abundance of materials nodes which meant that not only did I always have enough materials for my sets, but that I could craft for guildmates for free because I was at no disadvantage in doing so.
    3) I hit L50 in my 3 initial crafting professions early enough that I could start in on the other 3 on the same character without being at an inventory disadvantage or needing to grind.

So I am afraid I don't agree with the OP. I don't want them to change the way Crafting works in that fashion.
  • Varicite
    Varicite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You definitely don't need to be crafting a new set of armor every 2 levels... <.<
  • jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i upgrade my armor evey tier. aka lvl 4,10,16,24,32 ect. and have had no issues. WEAPONS are the things that mater the most.
    IGN: Ki'rah
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
  • golfer.dub17_ESO
    golfer.dub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    If your armor is green quality it will last for a few levels before white quality items start to be better, and green items are very easy to make. I wouldn't be opposed to this suggestion though.

Personally though, on my alt I'm leveling I've just been throwing on random armor that I get from stealing or killing mobs. Really only need crafted armor for difficult content like dungeons and PvP (but in that case you actually NEED it).
    Edited by golfer.dub17_ESO on May 3, 2015 8:23PM
  • Varicite
    Varicite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, if it weren't for the Training trait, I wouldn't even bother w/ crafted gear at all.

But maxing out your armor and weapon passives early is pretty nice. I also do 10th level upgrades, when materials change. Since I'm crafting my gear anyway for that trait, I generally make myself something w/ decent set bonuses, which the gear you find while leveling generally can't even begin to replace.

Edited by Varicite on May 3, 2015 8:38PM
  • Tallowby
    Tallowby
    ✭✭✭
    I think that the crafting systems needs to be re done, mostly the armor and weapons. The problem I have with it, is that you craft a full set of armor and weapons for your level. Then you go out and do a few quest, and bam, 30 min to an hour later you leveled up twice, go craft a new full set of armor. So you do that, then another hour later, oh you need to go craft another full set, because the set you just made is now under leveled.

This is inaccurate.

Example I made a complete set at VR3 and only now is it becoming obsolete at VR10. The key is to burn up some upgrade materials upon creation. Lower ones for lower gear up to purple in the VR levels.

Another tact is to stagger your upgrades (~8-9 items total) Every level (or every other level) upgrade the 2 lowest pieces.

Don't forget to save pieces that may be usable for an alternate toon later.....
    Edited by Tallowby on May 12, 2015 6:23PM
    NEED THE HELP OF A 9 TRAIT MASTER CRAFTER ON XBOX ONE NA - ALL STYLES LIST ---> My known Styles
    Tallowby's Crafter Aid ...... CONSOLE - How to run a DPS Test

XBOX ONE NA - Guild The OTG (accepting applications)
    Arden Sul | Bosmer | Nightblade | CP160/531 | 9 Trait Master Crafter |
    Tallowby | Imperial | Templar | CP160/531 | 9 Trait Master Crafter | EVERY STYLE KNOWN!
    Freya Bolt | Altmer | Sorcerer | CP160/531 | Master Crafter |
    Wacko Smacko | Imperial | Dragon Knight | CP160/531 | Master Crafter |
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    I use to feel exactly like you, until I learned that during leveling, gear is not all that important. Now, I make a set every 4 to 6 levels (improved to Green for under L30/L36 and will improve a couple of things like Chest/Legs/Helm/Weapon (or all of it if I have an abundance of tempers) to Blue for levels up to 50. I think in the future, I will only bother to make armor once they move up to the next material level qualification (to wear, not craft). Weapons I might make a bit more often, but usually it all gets done at once.
    Totally agree, this game is so easy 1-50 you can do it naked and likely not have real problems providing you have an on-level weapon, except for perhaps the solo level-scaled stuff where full gear is probably sensible.

I just level up and don't spend points or worry about gear till things become a bit 'iffy' against delve bosses and the like, at which time I'll make a set of gear on-level and maybe spend some points on health (or whatever else I may be lacking).
    Edited by KerinKor on May 12, 2015 8:23PM