The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Learning traits and styles

Dwermer
Dwermer
Hi
I am wondering how to learn traits etc, as when i am using them, some are showing i can use in crafting, but others are showing red, even though i have a supply of them

This is a learning curve
any advice would be gratefully received
thanks
  • Khenarthi
    Khenarthi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You learn traits by researching items that have them (last tab when you are at a crafting station); before you have learnt that trait, you cannot apply that trait stone when crafting a new item.

Edited to add an example: lets say you got a dropped helmet with the divines trait. At a crafting station you can set your character to research that trait for helmets. Once the timer ends (each trait on same item will take longer than the previous one to research), you will be able to craft your own helmets with the divines trait.
    Edited by Khenarthi on May 6, 2015 3:51PM
    PC-EU
  • Dwermer
    Dwermer
    Khenarthi wrote: »
    You learn traits by researching items that have them (last tab when you are at a crafting station); before you have learnt that trait, you cannot apply that trait stone when crafting a new item.

Edited to add an example: lets say you got a dropped helmet with the divines trait. At a crafting station you can set your character to research that trait for helmets. Once the timer ends (each trait on same item will take longer than the previous one to research), you will be able to craft your own helmets with the divines trait.

Hi
    Can you tell what traits each item will have before you research it or will it be pot luck what you get?
    What crafting station would I use to research a trait or would any one do ie clothier, bblacksmith etc?
    thanks
    Edited by Dwermer on May 6, 2015 4:17PM
  • stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The trait is clearly spelled out in the item description.
    Any crafting station will do, as long as it's the right kind (metal/cloth/wood).
    Knowing what traits you already have also requires you to go to a crafting station, or to use an add-on. "Research Assistant" is good for that purpose, but there may be better options.

I am not going to say "RTFM" here, don't get me wrong, but to save you some trouble and get answers faster to this kind of questions, you could have a look at the ingame help system (press F1). It's not super informative for everything, but quite a lot of the game is reasonably well explained there, and it's reasonably easy to find what you are looking for.
  • Xendyn
    Xendyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You have to use the station for the craft you want to research. Light/Med armor is Clothier. Staffs, Shields and Bows is Woodworker. Heavy armor and metal weapons, Blacksmithing.

You can easily use items you pick up from mobs and quests to research. Note that the item is destroyed when starting the research. I would recommend prioritzing the traits you research (which can be seen by hovering your mouse on the item in your inventory) as some are more useful than others and all research takes longer for the next trait on that item.

I'd advise googling ESO crafting to get a more complete understanding, there are a lot of guides out there for it.
    Lag is ruinin' my 'mershun!
    A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
    There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance - Socrates
    Member of the Old Guard, keepers of the game's history

PC/NA
  • Dwermer
    Dwermer
    Hi
    I am assuming you can leave the crafting table, once yv started a researching an item and it will tell you the results later?

If it takes a while to get the trait from the research process, can you do more than one at a time?

thanks for advice
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You can't research more than one item at a time unless you have put points into the research passive for each equipment crafting line. One point in that passive will allow you to research two items, but they have to be different - you cannot research two helmets at the same time.

So, until you have the research passives, you can only research one Blacksmithing item, one clothing item, and one woodworking item at a time.

When you set something to research, it will tell you how much time it will take. You are free to continue adventuring or whatever else you want to do while the research is going, and it will continue while you are offline. When something is done researching, you'll get a message in the upper right corner of the game window.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dwermer wrote: »
    Hi
    Can you tell what traits each item will have before you research it or will it be pot luck what you get?
    What crafting station would I use to research a trait or would any one do ie clothier, bblacksmith etc?
    thanks

Here are some hints to researching Traits.

1. You only need to know 2 to 3 traits to start making some powerful crafted gear. Most of my VR characters use a 3 Trait set. The amount of time to learn a trait doubles for the second one, doubles again for the third etc. So, learn the two traits on each piece you will want to craft first before learning the third traits. Learn the third before learning the 4th. The best crafted sets in the game only require 6 traits, so don't start chasing the 7th and 8th traits until you know the 6th traits in all the things you want to craft.
    2. Unlock the Research Passive (Carpentry I think it is called) to allow for more items to be researched in less time
    3. The most useful traits on armor are Infused, Divines and Impenetrable. Nirn is good, but you need 20,000+ gold to even play on that table (to buy the trait stones). For weapons, Precise and Sharpened are the way to go. Training is good for anything. So concentrate on those traits first and foremost before researching the other ones.
    4. Get the Addon Research Assistant so you don't deconstruct or sell something you need to research.
    5. If you can't get the item you want for research from loot, then buy it in a guild store. Items made to be researched sell between 200 and 500 gold, try to find the cheaper ones. You can even find them less. It does not matter what level the item is, just that it has the traits that you want. Awesome Guild Store addon can help you find specific traited items.
    6. If the item does not have a trait you need, or one your going to soon research, deconstruct it. You get crafting experience to level the craft line and you get trait stones and other things to make stuff with.
    7. Join a Guild like Lone Wolf Help or similar as we run crafting nights where we make traited items for people to research. Even not on the crafting night, we will make something for a guildmate. If you want an invite, email me in game.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Dwermer
    Dwermer
    Hi
    That was very useful feedback
    tyvm
  • Dwermer
    Dwermer
    do you learn styles from racial motifs?
    thanks
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    do you learn styles from racial motifs?
    thanks

Yes.

• Dwermer
    Dwermer
    where do you pick them up usually?

I have noticed ppl selling them in chat, but way to expensive lol
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are not as easy to find as they once were, prior to the Justice System. They can still be looted, but I would say that the drop rate is down 80% from where it was (mostly because there is more in the Loot Tables now with JS stuff). In town, it's Furniture, out in the world it's just about every container, including Urns and Knapsacks. I don't think Motifs drop from Bags or Burned Barrels, but they might. I have not seen one recently, but my first Purple came from a Burned Crate in a damaged town. Burned Crates and Barrels used to drop them, but I have wondered if those loot tables where changed with JS.

What is expensive to you? The going rate on Blue Motifs is 400 to 500 in the Guild Stores and Kiosks. You can still find them for 250 to 300 from time to time but they are rare and I usually grab them when I see them. Well, not as much anymore as I still have about 50 of them I need to sell. I would not spend more than 500 to 600 currently on a Blue Motif.

Purple Motifs? Yep, bring 5 figures for those. They start at 20K to 25K for Primal/Barbaric and go up from there to 60K or more for Imperial
    Edited by Nestor on May 6, 2015 10:07PM

• Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just a note on racial styles: They are purely cosmetic, changing equipment appearance only. The only advantage to knowing more styles is the ability to use the racial stones you constantly loot. But the offset to this is you give up bag space for each style stone stack you keep. Stones cost 15g each from vendors, so using the ones you find saves a lot for early characters, when gold is scarce. My advice is just try to find the styles you really like and just stick with those. You don't need to craft much to start with anyway, just new armor every 5-10 levels. You will advance your craft skills by deconstruction, not by creating. When your character is in a better position financially, you can start buying motifs, but keeping the above advice in mind, the only real reason aside from looks is a few crafting achievements for motifs. Don't expect that knowing more styles will mean a better chance to sell crafted goods. There are too many people who can craft every style for there to be any profit based on this alone.

edit: If you stick with the game, and regularly search containers through normal game play, the chances are good you will find most, if not all, of the motifs. The purples are can't be looted until you hit VR1 (Barbaric and Primal) and VR6 (Daedric and Ancient Elf). You can find Dwemer pages at any level, but you will have to do repeated runs in dwemer ruins if you expect to find a full set of those. For Imperial, kiss a frog for luck or plop down a crapton of Crowns in Crown $tore. I bought a few purples from impatience, but I've found every one more than once, and I never spent hours relogging and repeatedly searching the same area to find them.

editted for accuracy, thanks for keeping me honest and accurate, Nestor :#
    Edited by Ourorboros on May 7, 2015 11:01PM
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ourorboros wrote: »
    You can find Dwemer pages at level 10 IIRC, but you will have to do repeated runs in dwemer ruins if you expect to find a full set of those.

I found my first page on an L6 on the starter island for her. She found her second one at L8. In fact, this is the only character who has ever found any pages.

Edited by Nestor on May 8, 2015 4:55PM

• Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    You can find Dwemer pages at level 10 IIRC, but you will have to do repeated runs in dwemer ruins if you expect to find a full set of those.

I found my first page on an L6 on Stros Makai (starter island for EP). She found her second one at L8. In fact, this is the only character who has ever found any pages.

You mean starter island for DC :o
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You mean starter island for DC :o

Well it was some dwemer ruin somewhere where my EP Templar was L6. Heck, it might even have been Stonefalls.

EDIT Now that I think about it some more, it was Stonefalls in the Dwemer Ruin near the Harborage.
    Edited by Nestor on May 8, 2015 5:28PM

• Dwermer
    Dwermer
    Hi
    thanks

Here are some hints to researching Traits.

1. You only need to know 2 to 3 traits to start making some powerful crafted gear. Most of my VR characters use a 3 Trait set. The amount of time to learn a trait doubles for the second one, doubles again for the third etc. So, learn the two traits on each piece you will want to craft first before learning the third traits. Learn the third before learning the 4th. The best crafted sets in the game only require 6 traits, so don't start chasing the 7th and 8th traits until you know the 6th traits in all the things you want to craft.
    2. Unlock the Research Passive (Carpentry I think it is called) to allow for more items to be researched in less time
    3. The most useful traits on armor are Infused, Divines and Impenetrable. Nirn is good, but you need 20,000+ gold to even play on that table (to buy the trait stones). For weapons, Precise and Sharpened are the way to go. Training is good for anything. So concentrate on those traits first and foremost before researching the other ones.
    4. Get the Addon Research Assistant so you don't deconstruct or sell something you need to research.
    5. If you can't get the item you want for research from loot, then buy it in a guild store. Items made to be researched sell between 200 and 500 gold, try to find the cheaper ones. You can even find them less. It does not matter what level the item is, just that it has the traits that you want. Awesome Guild Store addon can help you find specific traited items.
    6. If the item does not have a trait you need, or one your going to soon research, deconstruct it. You get crafting experience to level the craft line and you get trait stones and other things to make stuff with.
    7. Join a Guild like Lone Wolf Help or similar as we run crafting nights where we make traited items for people to research. Even not on the crafting night, we will make something for a guildmate. If you want an invite, email me in game.

Hi
    thanks

Hi

Ok.. I will try to ask this as best as poss...learning curve going on lol

When I have learnt a trait, like for example sharpened or training and I have a stone (forget what they are). What do I do?

Do I put a stone into an item of armour or weapon that has it named in description of the item ie, if it has 'sharpened' on the weapon, then i add its stone?

If so, do i just drag the stone onto the particular weapon etc?

sorry, if i have that all confused
    thanks
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go to a crafting station and go to make an item. If you have researched the trait for that item, and have the Trait Gem for that Trait in your inventory or bank, then you can select that trait to be added to your armor or weapon.

If you don't have the trait gem, then you can find them in Guild stores for 50 to 150 per stone typically. I get all mine from deconstruction, so not sure why they sell for so much.
    Edited by Nestor on May 8, 2015 5:26PM

• Dwermer
    Dwermer
    Go to a crafting station and go to make an item. If you have researched the trait for that item, and have the Trait Gem for that Trait in your inventory or bank, then you can select that trait to be added to your armor or weapon.

If you don't have the trait gem, then you can find them in Guild stores for 50 to 150 per stone typically. I get all mine from deconstruction, so not sure why they sell for so much.

Hi
    So can you only add the stone to an item that I have personally made, rather than one that has been looted?
    thanks

Nestor...did you get my message in game?
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi
    So can you only add the stone to an item that I have personally made, rather than one that has been looted?
    thanks

Nestor...did you get my message in game?

You can only apply a Trait to an item when you are crafting it. You can not change the trait on an item, whether you made it or found it.

Enchanting Glpyhs you can apply after, and even replace as you go (it's a way to recharge it if you don't have a filled soul gem handy, is to replace the glyph from a loot drop) or if you want to change the effect. Like you get a Magic Ring with STamina regen, you can put a Magic Regen Glyph on it.

If you sent the message after 7AM my time, then no. I will not be back in the game until 6 or so tonight MST

Edited by Nestor on May 8, 2015 7:15PM

• Tallowby
    Tallowby
    ✭✭✭
    Hi
    I am wondering how to learn traits etc, as when i am using them, some are showing i can use in crafting, but others are showing red, even though i have a supply of them

This is a learning curve
    any advice would be gratefully received
    thanks

If you have a spreadsheet program my sheets will help you... The link below will take you to the post where it can be downloaded.

NEED THE HELP OF A 9 TRAIT MASTER CRAFTER ON XBOX ONE NA - ALL STYLES LIST ---> My known Styles
    Tallowby's Crafter Aid ...... CONSOLE - How to run a DPS Test

XBOX ONE NA - Guild The OTG (accepting applications)
    Arden Sul | Bosmer | Nightblade | CP160/531 | 9 Trait Master Crafter |
    Tallowby | Imperial | Templar | CP160/531 | 9 Trait Master Crafter | EVERY STYLE KNOWN!
    Freya Bolt | Altmer | Sorcerer | CP160/531 | Master Crafter |
    Wacko Smacko | Imperial | Dragon Knight | CP160/531 | Master Crafter |