Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Constant outleveling zones.

Uri
Uri
I know that is normal in every MMO when you want to do every content. But I am trying to minimize the amount of XP I get in the game. I really enjoy the PVE here (which I hated in every other MMO).

Can I do the main quest at lvl50 or in VT ranks? instead now at level 20 and every 5 levels? Can I do the same with Mage/Fighter guild main quest? What about dungeons? I played the 3 first dungeon instead of only mine (faction). Can I do the normal dungeon at lvl 50 or VT or in VT you can only play the VT history dungeons?

There is another tip to prevent/minimize the amount of XP during the gameplay if you want to do a lot of sidequest? I am avoiding the pvp right now because of this.

Thank you in advance
  • pecheckler
    pecheckler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suggest running past enemies which are not quest objectives to be killed and not doing any dungeons until VR1 (unless you need those skill points a lot). Once you reach VR ranks the difference in level is much smaller than the differences in levels sub-level 50, plus it takes much MUCH longer to level up.

If you do all quests available though you will definitely far outlevel what the game expects your level to be. It was designed to have a great deal of content. You are best off saving quests for a second character.

Focus on http://imgur.com/a/5gtct
    End the tedious inventory management game.
  • Uri
    Uri
    Thanks for reply. I read that you can play another faction maps in VR difficult after 50

This include the main faction quest or only map quest?

Can you play both opposite faction map or only one more?

Can you play your own faction map in VR difficult?
  • Hlaadriel
    Hlaadriel
    ✭✭✭
    you will play both factions. One is Caldwell Silver, the other is Caldwell gold. It goes couter-clockwise so if you are AD you'll start with EP then DC, if you are EP it will be DC then AD, if you are DC it will be AD then EP.

You will play as if you would have chosen that faction (but not the main quest line, mages guild quest line or fighters guild quest line )

You can always go back to your map but the mob will remain to what it was in non-vet. The exception being the group dungeons that scale to the group leader.
  • Uri
    Uri
    Thanks!
  • RazzPitazz
    RazzPitazz
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've read rumors that you can complete most quests befOre givIng the 6+ xp cap if played in the correct order.
    Also you can gain CP progression from under level quests one you hit vet. Something to keep in mind.
    PC NA
    VR1 - Jar'eed - Khajiit Dragon Knight - AD
    VR1 - Broad Tail - Argonian Templar - EP
    All-Star Crafter Guild
  • Uri
    Uri
    I don't care about gray quest or loot/reward. I am afraid about the difficulty.
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    Uri wrote: »
    I know that is normal in every MMO when you want to do every content. But I am trying to minimize the amount of XP I get in the game. I really enjoy the PVE here (which I hated in every other MMO).

Can I do the main quest at lvl50 or in VT ranks? instead now at level 20 and every 5 levels? Can I do the same with Mage/Fighter guild main quest? What about dungeons? I played the 3 first dungeon instead of only mine (faction). Can I do the normal dungeon at lvl 50 or VT or in VT you can only play the VT history dungeons?

There is another tip to prevent/minimize the amount of XP during the gameplay if you want to do a lot of sidequest? I am avoiding the pvp right now because of this.

Thank you in advance

I'm not sure what your goal is..You want to minimize the amount of XP you gain cause of?

Anyways.. you can do the mages/fighters guild quests at any time.The only requirement is that you have access to the questgivers (so doing the quest that starts in e.g. riften at level 5 can be difficult) and got the ranks in the guild to unlock it. The foes in the quest will be scaled to your level (so e.g. if you are level 10, the foes will be level 10. If you are VR4, the foes will be VR4)

As for the main quest, this is different. You can do them once every 5 levels and it doesn't scale up. Not doing them also blocks progress in veteran ranks cause you didn't unlock cadwell's silver (this unlocks when you finish the main quest).

I think you worry way too much bout gaining XP. The system works fairly well. In a normal situation you can get to VR14 relativly easy (and the last one is a struggle for everyone). By just doing all quests, dungeons and story's. If for some reason you gained too much XP (e.g. cause of doing pvp, cause of killing more foes then average or cause of running a booster), you will be overlevelled for that content. You will recieve less XP (specifically for killing), which means the advantage wil be turned around untill you are at the right level again.Same goes if you are slackign behind.You need to do a few quests above your level, but cause the XP from kills is then better, you level up quicker and make up the difference. All in all, the system is very balanced.
    Through me you pass into the city of woe:
    Through me you pass into eternal pain:
    Through me among the people lost for aye.

PC player - EU
  • stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The downside of always being overleveled by 5 levels in the regular zone quests is of course that all the fights will be even easier than they already are. Very few quests in lvl 1-50 are even remotely challenging after several nerfs since launch. If you want challenge, skip content, move to the next zone and sweep up the remaining side quests later for zero XP if you want to see all quests. Teleport to a guild mate one zone ahead and try a quest that's red, if only for the laughs.
    Edited by stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO on May 8, 2015 11:34AM
  • Uri
    Uri

*Ranique, I want to prevent the XP gain because I want to enjoy the content, and it become too easy if you are like 5 levels above, is already easy if you are the same level... Of course I can skip and go directly to red quest but you are going skip a lot of content.

I am delaying the guild quest right now. As you said if you only get like 5 levels above only is ok... I know playing completionist is always couple of levels above, I just don't want to be like 10 levels or more and oneshot enemies forever....

I played WoW and GW2 before this and in WoW you can turn off XP gain, in GW2 the game adjust your level (downlevel you) at same of the zone level. This is the first MMO that I really enjoy the PVE.
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    *Ranique, I want to prevent the XP gain because I want to enjoy the content, and it become too easy if you are like 5 levels above, is already easy if you are the same level... Of course I can skip and go directly to red quest but you are going skip a lot of content.

I am delaying the guild quest right now. As you said if you only get like 5 levels above only is ok... I know playing completionist is always couple of levels above, I just don't want to be like 10 levels or more and oneshot enemies forever....

I played WoW and GW2 before this and in WoW you can turn off XP gain, in GW2 the game adjust your level (downlevel you) at same of the zone level. This is the first MMO that I really enjoy the PVE.

This game adjusts the gain of XP automaticly. If it gets too easy, the mobs will stop giving you XP and you will automatically go back on track cause you don't advance enough to keep ahead of stuff. So no need to skip any quests and if you happen to be too far ahead, you will be reverted in 2-3 levels time.

It just happened to me in Deshaan (second zone in EP). I was a lil bit ahead (two grey quests) and now 5 levels later I'm even slightly behind.

PC player - EU
  • Gyudan
    Gyudan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tip: skip all the main storyline, mages guild and fighters guild quests and just play in the zones. That should keep you at the same level as your content. Once you reach level 50 and VR1, you can do all the skipped quests that will be scaled to your level and make you progress along vet ranks instead of wasting XP.
    Wololo.
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So here's the list of things that you can skip while leveling and come back to later (because they scale up to your level):
    • Fighters Guild & Mages Guild quests
    • Main Story quests (up to a point: you definitely can't progress to Cadwell's Silver zones without completing the main story quests, and I'm unsure of whether you can get to Coldharbour without first getting to a certain point in the main story)
    • Group dungeons
    • Werewolf or Vampire quest (if you wanted to become a WW or vamp)
    • Crafting writs (they don't give you a ton of XP, but they do give you some, and the amount is scaled somewhat to your level, so if you're looking to minimize XP in order to keep things from being too easy, skip these)
    • Cyrodiil PvE quests (heck, if you're looking to minimize XP you should skip Cyrodiil entirely until you hit VR)

I'd also suggest that once you hit maybe the third or fourth zone of your alliance you skip the public dungeons until later. The shear number of mobs in them will keep them from being too easy even later. The mobs don't give you much XP anyway, but this way you'll skip getting the quest XP until later.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Wicked_Wolf
    Wicked_Wolf
    ✭✭✭✭
    Skipping the main story and fighters guild until level 45+ actually seems like a great idea. You can stay somewhat on level for quests. Then when you are ready. You can do the guilds and main quests together to do the whole story in one shot. Seems like a fun way to progress and stick to the stories of each. 3 huge quests essentially.
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skipping the main story and fighters guild until level 45+ actually seems like a great idea. You can stay somewhat on level for quests. Then when you are ready. You can do the guilds and main quests together to do the whole story in one shot. Seems like a fun way to progress and stick to the stories of each. 3 huge quests essentially.
    Yeah, I'm actually now regretting that I haven't done this on any of my characters. Not so much because I'm too concerned about getting too much XP (although by the time I hit the last pre-Coldharbour zone I'm always struggling to make sure I don't end up with quests that are more than 5 levels below me), but because like you say, it would probably be a lot of fun to do each questline as one continuous series, with no breaks in between.
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ranique wrote: »

Anyways.. you can do the mages/fighters guild quests at any time..........The foes in the quest will be scaled to your level (so e.g. if you are level 10, the foes will be level 10. If you are VR4, the foes will be VR4)

There are minimum levels for the MG and FG quests that they drop to. My Templar who completed the MG at L28 was fighting L40 mobs for the last quest. The FG was pretty much on level with my character for the last two as those places are not places you can get to at lower levels. Easily anyway.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »

Anyways.. you can do the mages/fighters guild quests at any time..........The foes in the quest will be scaled to your level (so e.g. if you are level 10, the foes will be level 10. If you are VR4, the foes will be VR4)

There are minimum levels for the MG and FG quests that they drop to. My Templar who completed the MG at L28 was fighting L40 mobs for the last quest. The FG was pretty much on level with my character for the last two as those places are not places you can get to at lower levels. Easily anyway.
    Heh, yeah I had one of my crafters (also a Templar) complete both MG and FG questlines at level 30 just to get access to the 8-trait crafting stations. The MG was easier to complete at that level, because other players were present in Eyevea, so I wasn't fighting the daedra there all by myself. Finishing the FG questline at level 30 was much harder, because I couldn't rely on the help of other players.
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »

Still for the purpose of the question, I was correct. The OP wasn't asking bout the minimum levels to do them at and in general (non extreme) situations, my answer was correct. To ne honest. Your reaction is just confusing it slightly.

PC player - EU
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you in advance

I had this same issue. Experience comes in way too fast on this game. That's why so far I'm enjoying the veteran ranks a lot more.

I usually hate questing on games too. This game is the exception.
  • pyronix.eso
    I am having this problem as well. I hate missing out doing quests in every single area of the game and it sucks being over-levelled by more than 5 levels because the mobs no longer drop loot. :(

Right now I am skipping all of the mage guild, fighters guild, and main story quests just to minimize XP gain (and I am still insanely overlevelled - I'm level 9 doing level 5 quests uggh). I wish there was a way to turn off getting XP from monsters (but still get the loot).

Thanks for the guy above who suggested I just do my main storyline and all the FG and MG quests at a later level. What level would you suggest I do this at? 40? 45?

Thanks.
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the guy above who suggested I just do my main storyline and all the FG and MG quests at a later level. What level would you suggest I do this at? 40? 45?

Thanks.
    I'd say don't do them until you've completed the last full zone of your alliance (Reaper's March for AD, Bangkorai for DC, The Reach for EP). I'm not sure if you need to have the main storyline completed to a certain point in order to get the last quest of your alliance that leads you to Coldharbour, but you might, and that's why I suggest doing these quests then. If you continue over-leveling everything, you'll probably be around level 48 at that point. Heck, you could even hold off on the Guild questlines until you're already in Coldharbour.
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭
    Alternately you could play a different style of character or swap to a skill set you hadn't been using for artificial difficulty. I've been trying them all and the Templar and DK are the easiest characters to play. I found that the NB is easier to play than the Sorcerer. I started with the Sorcerer and it was so painful I stopped playing at Sancre Tor and decided to level the fifth character I had designed (Templar Healer). That character easily moved through the PvE with hardly any stress.

It's all about how you are approaching the game as to how much challenge it is. The Sorcerer still seems to be a challenge by comparison to the other characters even though he's now in Coldharbour (The Healer just started Cadwells Gold).
    Oooh look, lot's of Butterflies! Wait! Butterflies? Get out of here Sheo, stop bugging me!

Having issues with Provisioning Writs? A list of problem Writs and people willing to help in game can be found in this Thread