Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Noob PVP questions

Koujo
Koujo
Soul Shriven
I finally got to level 10 and tried PVP but now I have some questions.....

1. Does it get better with higher levels? Kinda getting crushed right now but I figure even with "bolstering" I'm still a bit underpowered at this level.

2. Is there some immunity timer for CC? I notice a lot of times when I hit my knockdown or pull nothing happens.

3. I've specced my DK for stamina and am wearing mostly medium armor based on youtube videos I've seen on DK builds. Is this a bad decision for low level PVP? Should I have gone heavy armor and health?
  • PKMN12
    PKMN12
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. really only at max level and good gear do you stop being crushed.

2. pretty sure there is

3. depends, are you going DPS? or tank? if DPS, medium armor is good, if tank, ALWAYS go heavy. You CAN have 2 pieces of the other one (for exampel, DPS can have 5 medium and 2 heavy) if you want as well.
  • Koujo
    Koujo
    Soul Shriven
    Well I guess I want to DPS but I need some survivability. All I have right now is a small shield from on of my 2hd abilities. Maybe when I get a heal also that will help but I need more CC or something. And yes I'm wearing 2 pieces of heavy armor.
  • lolo_01b16_ESO
    lolo_01b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    1. You can join the non veteran campaign (Blackwater Blade). There everyone has about the same stats and the fights last longer has people have more health and less weapon / spell damage. It will still be hard in the beginning, but with each skill and passive you get, you will become more powerful.
    2. If your enemy has some kind of whirlwind around his feet he will be immune to hard cc (snare and root still works). There are 3 ways to get temporary cc immunity: A potion, the heavy armour skill and just after you have been cced.
    3. As long as you don't deactivate battle levels which set your stats on par with higher lvl players or reach veteran ranks your gear only matters to a small extent and your attribute points will be ignored. I'd recommend just to try out if you want to be more tanky and block a lot of the damage or if you want to win by killing your enemy before he can harm you. Both is possible on a dk.
    Edited by lolo_01b16_ESO on May 3, 2015 2:43AM
  • Koujo
    Koujo
    Soul Shriven
    Yeah I'm playing on Blackwater Blade now after learning about veteran ranks. I guess I'm just wondering how much the bolstering mechanic really helps close the gap between a level 38 and a level 10 so that I know how much my level is hurting me or do I need to change the way I'm playing my class.

And it's also got me thinking that maybe melee DPS is not what I want to play but rather something more tanky that can charge into the enemies and disrupt them while my team deals the DPS.
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's a learning curve, often a painful one.

It will take some time to find the combinations/gear/playstyle that works for you. Doing the PvE content in the game (learning skills/synergies/group coordination) do help regardless of what PvP only types will tell you.

It's also a way to learn/try different skills and combinations in a more forgiving environment.

The short version is, "Yes, it eventually gets better."

It does take time, a whole lotta dying, and patience.

I'd go with support at first - don't expect to be able to walk to the front lines against VR14's that do this all day long and not get your butt handed to you.

Take it in spurts - if you start getting irritated at it, come back another time. Helps keep from getting completely burned out on it.

Once you do start to see it 'click' though, you'll be hooked.

(And for the record, even after you are a VR14, fully decked out badass, you'lll still get your butt handed to you from time to time - it's just the nature of the beast!)

Good luck!
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • reften
    reften
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Koujo wrote: »
    I finally got to level 10 and tried PVP but now I have some questions.....

1. Does it get better with higher levels? Kinda getting crushed right now but I figure even with "bolstering" I'm still a bit underpowered at this level.

2. Is there some immunity timer for CC? I notice a lot of times when I hit my knockdown or pull nothing happens.

3. I've specced my DK for stamina and am wearing mostly medium armor based on youtube videos I've seen on DK builds. Is this a bad decision for low level PVP? Should I have gone heavy armor and health?

PvP is light years better with an organized group...otherwise, you should only be attacked or defending a keep with others around.

Reften
    Bosmer (Wood Elf)
    Moonlight Crew (RIP), Misfitz (RIP), Victorem Guild

VR16 NB, Stam build, Max all crafts.

Azuras & Trueflame. Mostly PvP, No alts.

Semi-retired till the lag is fixed.

Love the Packers, Bourbon, and ESO...one of those will eventually kill me.