The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Critique my (planned) Sorcerer build.

Heindrich
Heindrich
✭✭✭✭✭
My sorcerer is VR10 and as the "endgame" comes into view, I have begun to accumulate gear and level up previously overlooked skills so that she won't be caught unprepared when she hits VR14, a mistake I made with my NB main.

After speaking to Sorc Veterans and checking out a few guides, I have come up with my own planned build. However, given the price of some of the items in required, I'd appreciate some feedback and assessment before I sink over a million gold into this character.

The Theory
Great spell damage is nice, but useless when you are out of Magicka. Thus in the magicka sustain vs burst dps conflict, I intend to side with Magicka sustain. I aim to almost never running out of Magicka so that I can constantly spam my dps skills in PvE and keep all shields up and blink around at leisure (within reason) in PvP.

I consider myself to be a proficient player, but not "mad-skillz" by any means, so I would prefer to avoid juggling too many "active passives" like Hardened Ward and constantly swapping bars, or relying on rotations that must be timed to perfection. I'd like to find a flexible "core build" that I only need to tweak to deal with different situations, so I don't necessarily want the best theoretical rotation/build, just a good one that I can master until executing it becomes muscle memory.

Ideally I'd also like to use at least 2 or 3 crafted pieces in my sets because I want some nirnhorn pieces for spell resistance and so I have control of aesthetics. (I love the Dwemer Light look.)

Itemisation:
Warlock 5-set (Neck, 2 Rings, Hands and Feet).
Magnus 3-set (Chest, Legs and Waist)
Valkyn Skoria or Engine Guardian 2-set (Valkyn for group pvp, Engine for solo or skirmish action).
Master's Destruction/Restoration Staff (I don't have a restoration staff yet, so will probably use Magnus for the 4-set bonus)

Skillset 1 (Destruction)
1) Force Shock (Crushing Shock): I know the other morph is better for PvE dps, but Crushing is so much better for PvP.
2) Impulse (Elemental Ring): Standard AoE, pretty useful in most situations.
3) Entropy (Degeneration): Theoretically Degeneration should be better than Structured Entropy for survivability, but it does require more concentration, so I am tempted to switch because I seem to time it quite poorly.
4) Daedric Curse (Velocius Curse): I love this skill. It's going nowhere :smile:
5)
A: Magelight (Inner Light): This seems to yield the best dps for PvE.
B: Lightning Form (Thunder Presence): For grinding mobs and PvP.
U) Meteor (Shooting Star): Pretty sure this is the best dps ulti in the game.

Skillset 2 (Restoration) - I am not a healer, so this is more about keeping me alive.
1) Mage's Fury (Mage's Wrath): I will probably take it out of my PvP bar eventually, but for now, I have gotten used to sacrificing one skill slot for a nice execute skill. Even in PvP, I rather like how I can essential set it as a time-bomb for when I or an ally reduces the enemy to under 20%.
2) Bolt Escape (Ball of Lightning): It's essential for any form of PvP. Even a good guild raid won't win every battle, being able to escape is always nice. I will likely replace it with Healing Springs for Vet Dungeons/DSA/Trials for a little support healing and magicka regen.
3) Steadfast Ward (Healing Ward): Another "must have" skill for obvious reasons.
4) Conjured Ward (Hardened Ward): Essential for PvP... I am not sure if it is needed for DSA/Trials. Open to suggestions on what I may replace it with.
5)
A: Magelight (Inner Light): Same as above, and if I have it on first bar, I must have it on second.
B: Annulment (Harness Magicka): This is planned for my solo/skirmish PvP bar, although if I run such a heavy Magicka-regen itemisation build, I wonder if I need Harness Magicka at all. If not, then Dampen Magic would be better.
C: Daedric Mines/Siege Shield/Purge/Rapid Manuovre for group PvP, depending on other circumstances.
U)
A: Negate Magic (Suppression Field): For a more cooperative defensive option for PvE and specific damage spikes. I am not sure if it's still useful against players in group PvP.
B: Barrier (Replenishing Barrier): For group PvP. Unfortunately I won't have this unlocked for quite a while.
C: Overload (Energy Overload): I like how it basically provides a 3rd bar of skills, although at this stage I am not sure when/how to use it effectively.

So many thanks if you survived that wall of text. How does the above look? Have I missed anything obvious? Are there any clearly better alternatives to skills/gear that I should look at?

• Erock25
    Erock25
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It is difficult to comment on because you're trying to make one build with minor modifications for both PVE and PVP it seems. So instead I will just focus now on what I think in general about some of your choices.

- Warlock set is pretty weak now in my honest opinion. There are so many other ways to get sustain that I do not think it is worth the 5set bonus anymore.

- I do not see Crystal Frag anywhere. Frags are your best option in either PVE or PVP for damage in my opinion.

- I do not see Liquid Lightning anywhere. This is your best DPS spell even in single target if the target stands still. It is amazing in AOE. I don't use it in PVP for obvious reasons but some people find it useful even there depending on what they are doing. SInce they buffed Liquid Lightning, Elemental Ring hasn't found its way back onto my bar yet. Obviously in max DPS aoe situations I would use Liquid Lightning + Elemntal Ring, but it is mostly unnecessary in the content I am doing (vet pledges mostly).
    You earned the 500 LOLs badge.
    You received 500 LOLs. It ain't no fluke, you post great stuff and we're lucky to have you here. +50 points
  • Heindrich
    Heindrich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Erock25 Thanks very much for your comments, and for your links @Lifsteinn Much appreciated!

Regarding Crystal Fragments... yes that was a mind-blank, I was always going to put in on my PvP build, I have been on the receiving end of it so often on my NB to appreciate the pain it causes. :smile: I must admit that I did not know until recently that you can time your attacks to use it only when it has proc'd. Avoiding hard-casting crystals is a big deal and will mean I will likely try to add it to my PvE rotation too. Assuming sufficient Magicka and skillz to pull it off, it is basically "free dps".

Regarding Liquid Lightning... yea that skill totally escaped my attention until you mentioned it. I didn't realise that it was AoE DoT, so thought it was made redundant by Elemental Ring. I have already leveled it up and added it to my PvE rotation. It will fit perfectly with Valkyn Skoria.