Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Weird shadow glitch(with photo)

sylbore
sylbore
I've had this shadow glitch since beta. I redownloaded the game, tried every setting possible but nothing helps. Here's a photo:
w6jjkumo2qvo.bmp
  • Inversus
    Inversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tried the repair function?
    VR14 EH Sorc
    VR1 AD NB Crafter
  • crscams
    crscams
    ✭✭
    I would go to the video settings and turn off shadows.
  • sylbore
    sylbore
    Turning off shadows doesn't work, I am trying this repair function at the moment.
  • sylbore
    sylbore
    Repairing didn't work either. It must be something with my laptop then...Any suggestions?
  • Zameri
    Zameri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe it is just a bug in the game, i reccomend you send it in to support and continue on gaming!
    Arkay Beta Tester
  • Cardan011
    Cardan011
    Did you try updating your video card drivers?
  • F7sus4
    F7sus4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This occured to me when I multitasked to other application and then got back into the game. The same thing was happening in Skyrim as well.
  • sacredmonkey
    I'm glad that I found this post. I have also run into this issue ever since starting the game and have tried similar fixes to no avail. I have submitted a ticket to ESO support and am just waiting to receive a response other than their initial automated email. Hopefully a solution is found eventually as the shadows get very annoying/distracting at times, especially in a game that really immerses one into its realistic world.
  • HisMind
    HisMind
    Soul Shriven
    I have this same bug. No fixes I have seen.
  • Elsin0re
    Elsin0re
    Soul Shriven
    Same bug on Radeon HD7670M
  • awkwarrd
    awkwarrd
    ✭✭✭
    Have you guys recently updated your video card drivers?

Alot of the time in the past 2 years, the driver updates are bad for new games, and you should downgrade the drivers.

That's if you have recently updated the driver i mean.
  • Elsin0re
    Elsin0re
    Soul Shriven
    You can't update video card drivers on these laptops which are machine-specific. And Toshiba never updated drivers.
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elsin0re wrote: »
    You can't update video card drivers on these laptops which are machine-specific. And Toshiba never updated drivers.

support.amd.com/en-us/download

I found drivers for your listed card at that link. Toshiba doesn't handle graphics drivers for dedicated cards.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Elsin0re
    Elsin0re
    Soul Shriven
    support.amd.com/en-us/download

I found drivers for your listed card at that link. Toshiba doesn't handle graphics drivers for dedicated cards.

Thanks for the tip, but alas, on the same page : "The following notebooks are not compatible with this tool:
    Notebooks equipped with switchable graphics,
    [...]
    Toshiba® notebooks"

Update : The installer you linked actually passed ! It's a first (I don't know if I did something wrong before or if previous versions actually didn't work).
    And the glitch just automagically vanished (+ more fps with more options ticked on).
    Somewhere, sometime, I owe you a drink ;o)
    Edited by Elsin0re on May 13, 2014 9:01AM
  • SevenPlants
    I have had the same issue, also since beta. I'm using a Radeon HD 6850 and yes, my drivers are up to date (they are no longer updated) and yes, I have tried turning off shadows. This seems to be a clipping/layer issue or something, because the lighter boxes that you see in the screenshot are actually entities. This also affects the character creation screen by making it all very dark. Note that it also goes away when sneaking.

vD2KVVh.jpg

yKzs5tD.jpg
  • SevenPlants
    And on the character creation screen, it starts like this :

EA4Adqb.jpg

and after a few seconds, fades to this :

gcd4SFv.jpg
    Edited by SevenPlants on April 25, 2015 3:49PM
  • Natjur
    Natjur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have a tool that tells you the current temp of your video card?
    When video cards over heat, they automatic shutdown part of there processing (to protect the card) and it looks like your card is processing shadows then stops, so it might be

(1) A temp issue with your card
    (2) A driver issues with your card
    (3) A physical fault with your card
    (4) The game files.

Also laptop\notebooks have bad graphic cards to start with and normally share memory (they use system memory) It might be you just can't run the game with all the cool shadows on that hardware and its automatically switching for you. (when temp get high or memory get low)
    Edited by Natjur on April 28, 2015 10:30PM
  • SevenPlants
    Edit : Damn, nevermind. I thought this was my thread on the subject. D'oh!
    Edited by SevenPlants on May 1, 2015 5:34AM