The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Grim Focus: Will of the Assassin

Voltos
Voltos
✭✭✭
I know there have been many critiques on the forums regarding the usefulness of Grim Focus and most are negative, but I see a lot of potential here, even though I do recognize that a few changes must be made.

That being said, I would like to use this opportunity to outline some proposed "fixes" to improve the functionality of Grim Focus, while maintaining the spirit of the ability. I encourage you to read through the entire post and provide your comments below. For your convenience, I will provide my version of Grim Focus first, and then discuss the differences and improvements from the current ability below. Changes are written bold.

New: Grim Focus
Cast Time: Instant
Target: Self
Duration: 30 seconds
Cost: X Magicka

Gain Minor Berserk and Assassin's Will for 30 seconds. While Assassin's Will is active, hitting with 5 Light or Heavy attacks will charge the ability, allowing your next Heavy attack to fire a spectral bow to deal X magic damage to your target, and 20% damage to surrounding enemies within 7 meters. Duration is increased by 1 second at each level.

Minor Berserk gives the player 8% bonus damage done.

*On to the Morphs!*

New: Relentless Focus
Duration: 33 seconds
Cost: X Stamina

Gain Minor Berserk, Minor Endurance and Assassin's Will for 30 seconds. While Assassin's Will is active, hitting with 5 physical attacks will charge the ability, allowing your next Heavy attack to fire a spectral bow to deal X magic damage to your target, and 20% damage to surrounding enemies within 7 meters. Assassin's Will now scales off weapon damage and max stamina.

Minor Berserk gives the player 8% bonus damage, and Minor Endurance increases stamina regeneration by 10%.

New: Channeled Focus
Duration: 33 seconds
Cost: X Magicka

Gain Minor Berserk, Minor Intellect and Assassin's Will for 30 seconds. While Assassin's Will is active, hitting with 5 magic attacks will charge the ability, allowing your next Heavy attack to fire a spectral bow to deal X magic damage to your target, and 20% damage to surrounding enemies within 7 meters.

Minor Berserk gives the player 8% bonus damage, and Minor Intellect increases magicka regeneration by 10%.

*Now, the discussion of each change and their necessity given the current state of Grim Focus:

First, activating Assassin's Will using a Heavy attack after the ability is charged. This is probably the most significant of the changes and drastically improves the performance of the ability in combat. With this change, you could use Assassin's Will as a legitimate part of your rotation, regardless of which ability bar you're using, and continue to build additional charges after triggering Assassin's Will, without having to recast Grim Focus.

Second, turning Assassin's Will into a buff. The first thing I noticed when Assassin's Will was charged, is my Minor Berserk buff disappeared. The only way to re-initiate the buff was to trigger Assassin's Will and then recast Grim Focus. This took precious time that I could put to better use. Turning Assassin's Will into a buff would separate the functionality of these two abilities and allow for a more seamless execution of Assassin's Will, while maintaining the Minor Berserk buff.

Third, increased duration. Throughout testing, it was my experience that 20 seconds wasn't enough time to charge Assassin's Will efficiently, and recasting the ability wiped any current charges. Increasing the duration would resolve this issue.

Fourth, reducing the number of charges required to trigger Assassin's Will. I know this was already tweaked since the first introduction of the ability, going from 8 strikes to 7, but I feel a little more is necessary. Five strikes seems to be appropriate, and given the increase in duration, you could effectively trigger a few Assassin's Will proc's for each cast of Grim Focus. Considering the reduction in required charges, lowering the damage of Assassin's Will may be appropriate.

Fifth, depending on the morph, hitting will all physical or magical attacks, excluding dots, will add charges to Assassin's Will. Here is another big change. This would dramatically improve the viability of Assassin's Will in all combat situations, as long as you're doing damage. With the reduction in damage, this could become a staple in all builds for either stamina or magicka.

Sixth, adding an AOE damage component to Assassin's Will. One thing I noticed that was missing from the NIghtblade's toolkit, was a class based AOE ability that functions at ranged or melee distances. I think Grim Focus can fill that gap. Keep in mind that this is a template and that all values are fluid, but this change would give Nightblade's a reliable class-based AOE ability. As mentioned in suggestion 4, adjusting the damage of Assassin's Will would be appropriate to preserve balance.

Seventh, providing both a stamina and magicka morph. Considering the difficulty of executing Assassin's Will with the current state of Grim Focus, I found the Merciless Resolve morph to be a serious waste of time. This is why I've opted to scrap it, in favor of providing both a stamina and magicka morph, which scale with their respective stat pools and provide either Minor Endurance or Minor Intellect.

My apologies, this post turned out to be longer than expected. In short, all of these changes are geared towards improving the quality of life for Grim Focus, making it's use more responsive and meaningful, while maintaining the spirit of the current ability.

That's all! Please let me know what you think. I'm eager to read your comments. Obviously, I would like this to reach the attention of ZOS, so if you support these changes, please be vocal about it, so it shows up on their radar.

Thanks for reading!

Sincerely,
Xeilos

Edit: Moved to Combat & Character Mechanics
Edited by Voltos on April 30, 2015 6:46PM
  • Jaerlach
    Jaerlach
    ✭✭✭
    How about we instead discuss how wrong it is that nightblades have access to minor berserk on a class buff, which is only available otherwise by running a restoration staff. Its a huge imbalance that favors nightblade dps over the other 3 classes.

Forcing people to use combat prayer in trials is one thing, but wasting a weapon swap on combat prayer is a huge cost in 4 mans, especially dsa.
    Edited by Jaerlach on April 30, 2015 5:06PM
    Jaerlach Kesepton (DK)
    The 7th Vanguard
    DC - NA first SO speed run & first Hardmode Speedrun
    NA Record Vet DSA: 11519
  • Voltos
    Voltos
    ✭✭✭
    Jaerlach wrote: »
    How about we instead discuss how wrong it is that nightblades have access to minor berserk on a class buff, which is inky available otherwise by running a restoration staff. Its a huge imbalance that favors nightblade dps over the other 3 classes.

I appreciate the response, but would like to keep the discussion on topic. I understand where you are coming from though. Minor Berserk buff aside, what do you think about my proposed changes?

Edited by Voltos on April 30, 2015 5:07PM
  • Moezilla
    Moezilla
    ✭✭✭
    Voltos wrote: »
    How about we instead discuss how wrong it is that nightblades have access to minor berserk on a class buff, which is inky available otherwise by running a restoration staff. Its a huge imbalance that favors nightblade dps over the other 3 classes.

I appreciate the response, but would like to keep the discussion on topic. I understand where you are coming from though. Minor Berserk buff aside, what do you think about my proposed changes?

Yea Jear keep quiet! :p I wouldnt mind a increased in duration and it needs to be more responsive. I have to jam my button to get that blade to come out.
    Moezilla-Dunmer DK
    Kittyzilla- Khajiit NB
    Twitch.tv/EsoMoezilla
  • Darkonflare15
    Darkonflare15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about we instead discuss how wrong it is that nightblades have access to minor berserk on a class buff, which is only available otherwise by running a restoration staff. Its a huge imbalance that favors nightblade dps over the other 3 classes.

Forcing people to use combat prayer in trials is one thing, but wasting a weapon swap on combat prayer is a huge cost in 4 mans, especially dsa.

While night blades are force into using a restoration staff to get a damage shield. See what a chain of complaints can leave to. All classes become the same class.
  • Voltos
    Voltos
    ✭✭✭

While night blades are force into using a restoration staff to get a damage shield. See what a chain of complaints can leave to. All classes become the same class.

Thank you for the response. However, as I said earlier, let's keep this discussion focused on the topic please. Feel free to comment on the changes for Grim Focus discussed in this post.

• Telel
    Telel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting ideas. I especially like the idea of the spectral bow getting charged by any attack that lands rather than having to rush a series of light attacks.

Though if one is spamming a weapon based AOE then it'd be fairly easy to proc the extra attack way to often so perhaps some kind of cooldown on that part would be required.
    Character: Telel
    Class: Night Blade-Werewolf-viking-ninja-catgirl-mallet wielder
    Past times: Refusing to go full magika spec, hitting things with a big hammer, sniping, and speaking in khajiit
    Also: Gelel the Derp Knight, Altsel the streaker, and Filafel the temp temp.

Khajiit has a twitch stream! https://twitch.tv/telel_khajiit feel free to come see how truly unskilled Telel is.
  • Celless
    Celless
    ✭✭✭
    Glancing at the idea, I'm okay with most of the current Grim Focus from a melee or caster PoV.

I think if there is an extended duration, we may not need to lower the number of hits required.
    If we lower the hits required, do not need extended duration.
    I personally would not want the Assassin's Will to proc off the heavy attack, but if it went off automatically from any attack without impacting cooldowns, that would be nice.

I think Relentless Focus could benefit from minor intellect for caster builds.
    I think Merciless Resolve could benefit from attacks and abilities counting toward the proc.

Still at a loss about a class AoE with oomph.