Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Zerg Surfing with Friends. Through the Eyes of a Tank.

duuude9192b14_ESO
duuude9192b14_ESO
✭✭✭

Fun zerg diving with my buds. Had a lot of fun. Yes I hold block, yes I suck, yes I etc etc etc.
No Nirnhoned pieces were used on my character in the making of this video. Believe it or not.
  • FENGRUSH
    FENGRUSH
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The best part is when you blocked!
  • Imdrefan
    Imdrefan
    ✭✭✭
    This might sound rude, but that's not my intension, but what is the point in a DK tank in Cyrodiil? The video was good, you have very good survivability, but aside from being a distraction and the odd CC here and there, what does a DK do to help while tanking?
    Drefan - VR14 AD Templar
    Decibel
    Dark Flare to the Face
  • Sotha_Sil
    Sotha_Sil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imdrefan wrote: »
    what does a DK do to help while tanking?

From the video, it looks like his role is to jump :p
    Edited by Sotha_Sil on April 30, 2015 3:35PM
    Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise! - Spells and incantations for those with the talent to cast them!
  • AhPook_Is_Here
    AhPook_Is_Here
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This might sound rude, but that's not my intension, but what is the point in a DK tank in Cyrodiil? The video was good, you have very good survivability, but aside from being a distraction and the odd CC here and there, what does a DK do to help while tanking?

There actually is a point, but it doesn't come up too often. I keep my sanctum tank set handy for small group keep takes, 3-5 man groups. It comes in handy to gather up the archers and mages to keep them from hurting your healer and your dps(s).

Usually I stay in damage gear but when the group is very small and objectives are the targets I will run around in full tank gear using some hybrid bars for pvp(e)
    “Whatever.”
    -Unknown American
  • TheBucket
    TheBucket
    ✭✭✭✭
    A tank that can CC in pvp is better to me than one that is just soaking dps
    William Reignes
    Magic Nightblade - Rogue Bomber
    Creator of Thirsty Thief Build (Retired 1.5)
  • duuude9192b14_ESO
    duuude9192b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭

The point of a tank in small group pvp is to be the only thing available to hit, wasting the enemies resources on myself, and keeping them in close proximity so my teammates can easily dispatch them as they focus on trying to kill me.

It works best with group members that have evasive builds like dodge roll setups or mist form builds etc.

I will add though, I have 2300 wep dmg with a potion and earthen heart passive buff. My Dots and bashes put ALOT of pressure on key targets that I focus (when I can, of course).

I would say the biggest advantage though, is being able to hold a position longer than most. This allows for timing my CC's to alleviate pressure from allies, or create openings that they wouldn't normally get.
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Being able to hold a position is a huge advantage and like you said, builds/playstyles that are already focusing on being hard to hit will benefit the most as most enemies won't even try to time their attacks right to kill your teammates.
    Being able to cc them (Talons mostly) is good to have, too, but if there's no space on the bars or resources I'd rather drop that then becoming to squishy.

Now how are you managing your stamina? Do you run 5+ heavy and how much is the Redguard passive restoring usually?
    DAGON - ALTADOON - CHIM - GHARTOK
    The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won...

Elo'dryel - Sorc - AR 50 - Hopesfire - EP EU
  • hammayolettuce
    hammayolettuce
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The point of a tank in small group pvp is to be the only thing available to hit, wasting the enemies resources on myself, and keeping them in close proximity so my teammates can easily dispatch them as they focus on trying to kill me.

It works best with group members that have evasive builds like dodge roll setups or mist form builds etc.

I will add though, I have 2300 wep dmg with a potion and earthen heart passive buff. My Dots and bashes put ALOT of pressure on key targets that I focus (when I can, of course).

I would say the biggest advantage though, is being able to hold a position longer than most. This allows for timing my CC's to alleviate pressure from allies, or create openings that they wouldn't normally get.

Bolded for the luls
    Snü (Magicka DK) ♥ Thnu (Stamplar) ♥ Pizza for Breakfast (Magplar) ♥ Sparklefingers (Magicka Sorc) ♥
    Bean and Cheese Burrito (Magicka DK) ♥ Snurrito (Stamplar) ♥
    DARFAL COVANT
  • duuude9192b14_ESO
    duuude9192b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    ToRelax wrote: »
    Being able to hold a position is a huge advantage and like you said, builds/playstyles that are already focusing on being hard to hit will benefit the most as most enemies won't even try to time their attacks right to kill your teammates.
    Being able to cc them (Talons mostly) is good to have, too, but if there's no space on the bars or resources I'd rather drop that then becoming to squishy.

Now how are you managing your stamina? Do you run 5+ heavy and how much is the Redguard passive restoring usually?

The redguard passive (adrenaline rush) helps but I would say wood elves benefit the most from passives for stamina at the moment. I run 7/7 heavy armor. I am a werewolf so I get 15% stam regen from that. The BIGGEST help to managing my stam for blocking though are 3 kuta jewelry glyphs for block/bash reduction enchants. Also, I use the tri-stat regen drinks for a consumable food buff.
  • duuude9192b14_ESO
    duuude9192b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭

Bolded for the luls

Meh, I do okay. Whatcha mean? :)
  • Takllin
    Takllin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice video!

If you don't mind sharing, what is your gear setup? I'm in the process of bringing back my DK Redguard tank, and am looking to see if there are combinations I haven't thought of yet.
    Jadokis - AD Redguard DK v16 AR 18
    Jàsènn - AD Orc Templar 47 AR 10
    Jessèn - AD Dunmer DK v16 AR 9 - Former Empress of Blackwater Blade

Tekllin - AD Altmer Sorcerer v16 AR 18 (Ret.)
    Tekklin - AD Bosmer Nightblade v16 AR 12 (Ret.)
    Jasenn - DC Imperial Templar v16 AR 18 (Ret.)
    Jasènn - DC Orc Sorcerer v16 AR 15 (Ret.)
  • Imdrefan
    Imdrefan
    ✭✭✭

I have 2300 wep dmg with a potion and earthen heart passive buff. My Dots and bashes put ALOT of pressure on key targets that I focus (when I can, of course).

This is constructive criticism, please dont take it as flaming. But What is bolded seems very counterintuitive.

TheBucket wrote: »

I agree.
    The point of a tank in small group pvp is to be the only thing available to hit, wasting the enemies resources on myself

I'm not going to say this doesn't work, but anyone with experience will ignore a tank that doesn't put out moderate damage and focus on your buddies.
    Drefan - VR14 AD Templar
    Decibel
    Dark Flare to the Face
  • duuude9192b14_ESO
    duuude9192b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Takllin wrote: »
    Nice video!

If you don't mind sharing, what is your gear setup? I'm in the process of bringing back my DK Redguard tank, and am looking to see if there are combinations I haven't thought of yet.

1 engine guardian, 2 orgnum's scales, 2 oblivion's foe, 2 afflicted armor pieces, 3 dreugh king slayer pieces, 2 shadow walker rings. Serpent mundus and weapon power pots with regen drinks for consumable buff. :) block/bash reduction enchants on jewelry. Have fun!
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I have 2300 wep dmg with a potion and earthen heart passive buff. My Dots and bashes put ALOT of pressure on key targets that I focus (when I can, of course).

This is constructive criticism, please dont take it as flaming. But What is bolded seems very counterintuitive.

Unstable flame is a stamina skill.

• iseko
    iseko
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tanks are useful. Nice vid.
  • duuude9192b14_ESO
    duuude9192b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭

TheBucket wrote: »

I agree.
    The point of a tank in small group pvp is to be the only thing available to hit, wasting the enemies resources on myself

I'm not going to say this doesn't work, but anyone with experience will ignore a tank that doesn't put out moderate damage and focus on your buddies.

No worries at all. If you watched the video at all, you'll notice HORDES of enemies that can't seem to ignore me. At least one of them had experience hehe, just saying.

I'm not sure what you mean by stating that 2300 wep dmg and Dots are counterintuitive? They scale off of my max stamina and weapon damage. I'm probably misunderstanding you, hope you can dumb it down for me hehe.
  • Zuvanov
    Zuvanov
    ✭✭
    I think purge or even evasion would help your build a lot, unless you usually have someone giving you purifies. Dodge rolls are quite costly & drops your block. Nice video though & awesome leaps :p
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you equip a 2H weapon in the secondary slot, you will be able to dish out some serious pain when you get into a 1v1 situation. You don't need to be a glass cannon stamina build for your wrecking blows to hurt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C9rj0XZJas&feature=youtu.be
  • duuude9192b14_ESO
    duuude9192b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Zuvanov wrote: »
    I think purge or even evasion would help your build a lot, unless you usually have someone giving you purifies. Dodge rolls are quite costly & drops your block. Nice video though & awesome leaps :p

I use evasion a lot in the video, hard to notice because I swap bars and cast/cancel very quickly. I can't afford purge but my 2000 health regen serves to mitigate anything that might need purging.
    Sharee wrote: »
    If you equip a 2H weapon in the secondary slot, you will be able to dish out some serious pain when you get into a 1v1 situation. You don't need to be a glass cannon stamina build for your wrecking blows to hurt:

I like that, I have tried 2h but I prefer my bash dmg build for tanking zergs and 1v1's. I'll try to post some duel videos just to showcase how quickly 2k-3k bashes twice a second + 1k dot ticks from unstable flame and burning breath pressure in 1v1. Great video though, and a great suggestion :)

• IxSTALKERxI
    IxSTALKERxI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    A tank can be useful in a small group. I was a tank up until update 2.0. Your group needs to work on working together as a group, and you need to position yourself so you are aiding your group rather then just running around surviving. In that video you weren't benefiting your group much imo. I suggest using talons, you'll hold the enemies in place in a nice stack and increase damage of your groups steel tornado. Keep at it though, tanks are viable and you should keep working on it if you enjoy that playstyle.
    NA | PC | Aldmeri Dominion
    Laser Eyes AR 26 Arcanist | Stalker V AR 41 Warden | I Stalker I AR 42 NB | Stalkersaurus AR 31 Templar | Stalker Ill AR 31 Sorc | Nigel the Great of Blackwater
    Former Emperor x11 campaign cycles
    Venatus Officer | RIP RÁGE | YouTube Channel
  • duuude9192b14_ESO
    duuude9192b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    A tank can be useful in a small group. I was a tank up until update 2.0. Your group needs to work on working together as a group, and you need to position yourself so you are aiding your group rather then just running around surviving. In that video you weren't benefiting your group much imo. I suggest using talons, you'll hold the enemies in place in a nice stack and increase damage of your groups steel tornado. Keep at it though, tanks are viable and you should keep working on it if you enjoy that playstyle.

Did you even watch the video? How else could 3-4 people push back enemy groups of 10,15,20 without working together?
    Talons are nice, but as I've addressed, when a group of people give up attacking 2 flighty characters and just focus me in one spot, no need to talons at all, they do it themselves.

Watch the full video, perhaps you didn't see how I help my group, but that honestly doesn't mean I don't help them.
  • IxSTALKERxI
    IxSTALKERxI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sorry only had time to watch the first 5 mins and it seemed like you guys were really spread out and not benefiting from the tank as much as you could be. You had some better clips at the end though. :)
    NA | PC | Aldmeri Dominion
    Laser Eyes AR 26 Arcanist | Stalker V AR 41 Warden | I Stalker I AR 42 NB | Stalkersaurus AR 31 Templar | Stalker Ill AR 31 Sorc | Nigel the Great of Blackwater
    Former Emperor x11 campaign cycles
    Venatus Officer | RIP RÁGE | YouTube Channel
  • duuude9192b14_ESO
    duuude9192b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry only had time to watch the first 5 mins and it seemed like you guys were really spread out and not benefiting from the tank as much as you could be. You had some better clips at the end though. :)

No worries :smile: Thank for rewatching, I apologize for getting a little defensive.
  • vortexman11
    vortexman11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another great video. I always seem to miss out on the fun though :(
    Guild of Shadows ~Elite~
    Învictus ~Council~

EP | Vortexman | Dunmer DragonKnight | LvL 50 | Rank 50 | Former Emperor of Haderus & Chillrend |
    EP | Phobos | Altmer Nightblade | LvL 50 | Rank 26 |
    EP | Cheezus Sliced | Argonian Templar | LvL 50 | Rank 30 |
    EP | Eterno Tempesta | Altmer Sorcerer | LvL 50 | Rank 33 |
    DC | Vortexman | Dunmer DragonKnight | LvL 50 | Rank 12 |
    DC | Divine Storm | Altmer Sorcerer | LvL 50 | Rank 04 |
    EP | Pocket Vortex | Bosmer Templar | LvL 50 | Rank 24 |
    EP | Vortexman | Redguard DragonKnight | LvL 50 | Rank 28 |
    EP | Fungal Growth | Argonian Warden | LvL 50 | Rank 26 |
    EP | Eternal Guardian | Bosmer Warden | LvL 50 | Rank 13 |
    and a few other random toons

Teaching by example > https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/5479085#Comment_5479085
  • duuude9192b14_ESO
    duuude9192b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Another great video. I always seem to miss out on the fun though :(

:smile: Soon, buddy, soon.