The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Lost 5.1ch surround audio support?

mavelick
mavelick
Soul Shriven
I found the surround audio is missing on version 2.0.5.
I don't know the missing occurred from which previous version, but I played with surroud audio on my audio system. (I built it just for ESO!)
The audio is played via HDMI. I cofirmed the speakers and amp work fine with test sounds from Mac.
Multi channel is selected in Audio MIDI setup. The audio in ESO is played as only 2 channel stereo.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27inch, Late 2014)
3.5 GHz Intel Core i5
32GB 1600MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4066MB
Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.3
  • chris.dillman
    chris.dillman
    ✭✭✭
    mavelick wrote: »
    I found the surround audio is missing on version 2.0.5.
    I don't know the missing occurred from which previous version, but I played with surroud audio on my audio system. (I built it just for ESO!)
    The audio is played via HDMI. I cofirmed the speakers and amp work fine with test sounds from Mac.
    Multi channel is selected in Audio MIDI setup. The audio in ESO is played as only 2 channel stereo.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27inch, Late 2014)
    3.5 GHz Intel Core i5
    32GB 1600MHz DDR3
    AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4066MB
    Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.3

Hi mavelick

In theory ESO supports 5.1 and now 7.1 on Mac.

In Audio MIDI setup you have a that set to multichannel and 5.1?
    Or try 7.1 if thats not working.

Make sure an OS update or some such is did not change those settings.

-- ESO -- Lead Mac Programmer...
    Staff Post
  • mavelick
    mavelick
    Soul Shriven
    Hi Chris

Thank you for your response to help.

I confirmed the configuration in Audio MIDI setup, and 5.1ch multichannel is selected. But, the audio in ESO is played as 2ch.
    And, I tried 7.1ch, but nothing was changed.

And, I found a strange behavior around them.
    When I tried to swap the speaker assign for front left and back left by Audio MIDI setting, this swapping affected the opening jingles at Zenimax Logo. But, the BGM at login screen is not affected. It seems completely played as 2ch audio.

Please test this issue at your test bed.
  • chris.dillman
    chris.dillman
    ✭✭✭
    mavelick wrote: »
    Hi Chris

Thank you for your response to help.

I confirmed the configuration in Audio MIDI setup, and 5.1ch multichannel is selected. But, the audio in ESO is played as 2ch.
    And, I tried 7.1ch, but nothing was changed.

And, I found a strange behavior around them.
    When I tried to swap the speaker assign for front left and back left by Audio MIDI setting, this swapping affected the opening jingles at Zenimax Logo. But, the BGM at login screen is not affected. It seems completely played as 2ch audio.

Please test this issue at your test bed.

Hi

We can explain some of this.

The logo / start up movies are played by a 3rd party video player library.

After that ESO switches to a a 3rd party game audio library for music etc.

We did update the audio library to a new version back around ESO 2.0.

It is possible theres a bug in the new libs.

-- ESO -- Lead Mac Programmer...
    Staff Post
  • mavelick
    mavelick
    Soul Shriven
    Hi

I wish you and the vendor to fix this issue, and get back the nice experience in Tamriel.
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Hey @mavelick, we're still investigating this issue but would love some additional information from you -
    • What programs, if any, have you also run that are outputting 5.1 properly?
    • Did you ever run ESO on your mac and had 5.1 output before, but suddenly don't have it anymore?
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • mavelick
    mavelick
    Soul Shriven
    Hi

I will do anythings to resolve this issue.
    Hey @mavelick, we're still investigating this issue but would love some additional information from you -
    • What programs, if any, have you also run that are outputting 5.1 properly?
    I didn't have so many games, so I got "Deus Ex: Human Revolution" from Mac App Store to test. (75% off sale!)
    And, It plays sounds as 5.1ch on my Mac.
    • Did you ever run ESO on your mac and had 5.1 output before, but suddenly don't have it anymore?
    Yes.
    I have played ESO with 5.1 ch, because I built my surround system just for ESO and enjoyed.
    It was lost at recently update, but I couldn't find it.