Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Error 1316-OSError Unknown Unknown file error

Sk3l3t0n_K3y
Sk3l3t0n_K3y
Soul Shriven
I’ve been getting Error 1316 - OSError _Unknown Unknown file error
I’ve constantly had to download update and repair and I still haven’t seen the “PLAY” button, it’s always been UPDATE and REPAIR - I have gotten into the game by using the eso exe file but after a while the next time I go to log in again it’ll tell me “You’re using an invalid or outdated game client, update and try again” and that’s when the eso exe file stops working and I’m back to trying to fix the launcher, here is a list of things I’ve tried to fix all my errors:
- changed download location
- switched out the User.txt file with one that was sent to me by Support
- with 302 error I’ve closed launcher and reopened later only to get UPDATE/REPAIR
- I have tried UPDATE/REPAIR to see if it ever ends and it doesn’t -it’s constantly downloading 6 to 7 gigs, it’s even gone up to 12 to 17gigs
- I’ve uninstalled the launcher using AppCleaner and re-downloaded the Mac Client and I usually get Error 1316 or some other error
- I’ve copy pasted the depot file to my desktop and uninstalled and reinstalled , stopping at 1% then replacing the depot file with my backup from my desktop and that didn’t work
- I’ve even uninstalled the whole game using AppCleaner and have re-downloaded the whole 31gigs at least 5x and with this last time I had my firewall turned off and virus protection turned off while I downloaded the game and in the end I still got the Error 1316- OSError _ Unknown and with my firewall now back on I have the launcher added to permissions
- Also I am directly connected to the modem so there should be no connection issues and I have flushed my dns
I am out of ideas of what else I can try to fix this or what the problem actually is
I’ve attached my latest crash report from the game client which has my Macbook pro specs and for the record, listed there is AMD Radeon GPU which is much better to use then the Intel my machine is using but until I figure out how to “activate” it, I’m concentrating on getting the game fixed first
Thanks in advance for any help our community has for me, it is totally appreciated - I just want to play this game already
  • ZOS_MollyH
    Hi @Sk3l3t0n_K3y !

This error is usually linked to the firewall blocking game files. Since you have tried with your firewall disabled, what we would like to advise is adding permissions to the launcher and game apps and then trying to repair. If that still doesn't resolve it, we can try disabling it fully and trying again with that!

This error is usually a sign that the game is being blocked by your Mac's firewall. Please follow the steps below to locate the game and add an exception:
    •Open System Preferences from the Dock
    •Click on Security and Privacy
    •Navigate to the Firewall tab
    •Click on Firewall Options…
    •Check for Bethesda.net Launcher.app in the Box

If the launcher is not there, click the Plus icon below the box and navigate to the Launcher on the Macintosh HD.

Make sure you have clicked the Lock button in the bottom left area of this window, as this will allow you to make changes in any settings. After clicking on this button, the system will prompt you to enter your administrator credentials.

Once you've done this, try opening the launcher again. You may need to run a check for updates and a repair now that your firewall is allowing access to our servers.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Sk3l3t0n_K3y
    Sk3l3t0n_K3y
    Soul Shriven
    thanks for the reply - I already had the launcher added to my firewall permissions but I also added the installer now so will let you know in a few hours to see if it works
  • Sk3l3t0n_K3y
    Sk3l3t0n_K3y
    Soul Shriven
    hey MollyH
    the repair just finished and I got another error: Error 302 - Patch Error - CorruptDest, so I guess I'll run the repair,unless you have a better idea, the status bar on the launcher says 0.01 MB remaining - that last bit is killing me! lol
  • chris.dillman
    chris.dillman
    ✭✭✭
    I’ve attached my latest crash report from the game client which has my Macbook pro specs and for the record, listed there is AMD Radeon GPU which is much better to use then the Intel my machine is using but until I figure out how to “activate” it, I’m concentrating on getting the game fixed first

Hi Sk3l3t0n_K3y,

The mac laptops with 2 GPUs the Higher power one turns on as soon as an application, like a game asks to use OpenGL.
    You should not have to activate it ever.

You can see whats running.
    Start up a game.
    Look at the About this mac under the apple menu.
    Fine the GPU info in the summery information and its should indicate the currently running GPU.
    You have to bring up the about this mac after running a game or it will only show the low power intel GPU.

Have you ever run Disk Utility's Repair functions on your HD?

-- ESO -- Lead Mac Programmer...
    Staff Post
  • Sk3l3t0n_K3y
    Sk3l3t0n_K3y
    Soul Shriven
    hi chris,

yes, I have run Disk Utility Repair - I actually did one the other night since the game crashed and shutdown my computer so what I did was Cmd +Opt +P +R then Cmd +R , tried Disk Repair and ended up going back to an earlier save on time machine and now I recently tried logging back into the game and it told me that my client is invalid or out-dated and needs to be updated - things were fine for a few days since I was just using the eso.exe file to get in game but now that's not working for me because the client needs to update, so I'm back to Updating, Repairing the client and the last times I've played and when it's crashed, even the Crash Report crashes , it just stops responding - right now I'm updating 6gigs again and if it stops and says repair I'm going to close the launcher and just restart it, at least that's what I've read to try with this issue, until it says "Play" but I would be happy if the ESO.exe work-around got me back in game, I've pretty much given up on the launcher, I've had this game for about a month and the launcher still doesn't work- I've attached my latest crash report, maybe it'll help