The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

[RANT] Crafting writs scales to your amount of X points into crafting. [Suggestion->]

Coffey69_101
Coffey69_101
Soul Shriven
So let me tell you my story:

I respected my main because reroll and made it my Go-to crafting ALT since it already have some traits researched.
I put almost all skill points into crafting (didn't like almost craft anything unless daily lvl1 writs and all the time been hoarding mats).
Next day: aaaaah. Good morning, time to do some daily crafting: NOPE NOPE. Apparently the blacksmith writs mission wants me to craft ebony stuff. ORLY? And I thought it was these Writs scales to where you are. So I thought again: heh, must be Stormhaven's doing.
So I went back to the first town: Daggerfall. Accepted a new Blacksmith writ and..... Ebony stuff? Orly? And I only banked and have access to Iron, Steel and Orichalcum. So, no more writs unless I respec and put less amount of skills into crafting.

Suggestion:
Writs scales to WHERE you are. e.g. : Daggerfall (first town): You are expected to craft and ship away things you CAN produce there with its available resources. Next town: Stormhaven - Steel stuff. Etc.
I mean come on... It's not realistic if you as a business that have kept doing Iron stuff on demand.... And then the next day you are then expected to craft and ship HaxiumUberLOL stuff from where you have no access to gather the materials as you only have access to Mine iron in e.g. Glemumbra.
It is like having a business somewhere in Africa and you are to ship out Ice cubes???!!? Or in Southen Sahara and expected to ship out Jellyfish.

Sux to be me when you have too high crafting skills and put too many skill points into it.
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shouldn't have put your skill points into something you don't need, nor can you even use yet.

Hirelings also scale to the points you have put in, so if you use the hirelings they will send you ebony. As well, you can purchase mats from the store.

To me it makes perfect sense that writs scale to your crafting level.
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So let me tell you my story:

I respected my main because reroll and made it my Go-to crafting ALT since it already have some traits researched.
    I put almost all skill points into crafting (didn't like almost craft anything unless daily lvl1 writs and all the time been hoarding mats).
    Next day: aaaaah. Good morning, time to do some daily crafting: NOPE NOPE. Apparently the blacksmith writs mission wants me to craft ebony stuff. ORLY? And I thought it was these Writs scales to where you are. So I thought again: heh, must be Stormhaven's doing.
    So I went back to the first town: Daggerfall. Accepted a new Blacksmith writ and..... Ebony stuff? Orly? And I only banked and have access to Iron, Steel and Orichalcum. So, no more writs unless I respec and put less amount of skills into crafting.

Suggestion:
    Writs scales to WHERE you are. e.g. : Daggerfall (first town): You are expected to craft and ship away things you CAN produce there with its available resources. Next town: Stormhaven - Steel stuff. Etc.
    I mean come on... It's not realistic if you as a business that have kept doing Iron stuff on demand.... And then the next day you are then expected to craft and ship HaxiumUberLOL stuff from where you have no access to gather the materials as you only have access to Mine iron in e.g. Glemumbra.
    It is like having a business somewhere in Africa and you are to ship out Ice cubes???!!? Or in Southen Sahara and expected to ship out Jellyfish.

Sux to be me when you have too high crafting skills and put too many skill points into it.

I'm curious as to why you put that many points into your blacksmith crafting passive if you didn't have the ebony mats anyway? Did you put all 9 in? In which case, you're only asked to do ebony, rather than voidstone because you can't even access the region where you could get it unless you've completed the main quest/Coldharbour. At least with ebony, you CAN get access to that region. In DC, I think you can get to the final zone (Bankorai) from Stormhaven. Yes, you will have to be careful with harvesting, but it is doable.

The only reason I can think of as to why you put that many points into your BS passive is to be able to learn the rare motifs. Otherwise, there's really no point in having more points in it than what you need to craft your own gear. If you did put all 9 in to learn the rare motifs, you can respec again and remove those points - you'll still know and be able to craft in the rare styles, but you can then do the writs for the mats you have on hand. However, know that if you do orichalcum writs, you'll have to deliver in Rivenspire.

EDIT: actually, I think ebony might be Coldharbour, as that's where you find it in abundance. Where does it ask you to deliver?
    Edited by Jayne_Doe on April 21, 2015 4:02PM
  • Coffey69_101
    Coffey69_101
    Soul Shriven
    Hello and tanks for the input.

They ask me to ship from Stormhaven which is the second town/latest town I have been to. And I am too low level to go get the required mats for the daily writs. And well, if I buy the mats I would go bankrupt because the Crafting writs reward sux and the only profitable are the Consumer Writs where you more often get more mats than you use.

And little did I know that I would have to craft high level stuff when having the e.g. Blacksmith so high leveled but no means by my own to gather the materials due to my low level. As I rant and suggest.

Sure it makes "sense" that the writs scale with your crafting level as gameplay perspective. If so, then Why wouldn't the NPC mail directly to you and request/order by you, the MASTER Legendary Blacksmith of DEATH , due to your skills.
    Why would EVERY Public billboard in every town ask to Craft e.g. only Ebony because that's your current peak? All exclusive to you, The MASTER LEgendary Blacksmith of Death. On a public billboard which is copied in every town you are in. Not realistic I say.
    But I would like to as I suggested you can choose the kind writs depending where you are so it would be more realistic that you craft and export what you can produce from that Area which has the Natural resources And you Ship from there too.

Thanks for the responds to the Rant. And I will not respec since crafting wrist are non-profitable.
    So please support this as a realistic features to be added. Sure Nahh it would just take developer time, naahh don't mess with the working system.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I agree that the writ system should be more flexible so that you can choose either your location or your level. This would be better than just having it scale to the zone you're in, since that would mean having to always go to the correct zone for the material level you want to craft, rather than the convenience of filling writs from the location your character is currently in. Of course, once you reach Veteran level that becomes moot, since you always either have to go to Coldharbour, Belkarth, or one of your faction zones to even pick up the writs. Definitely frustrating that I can't pick up the writs in the Silver zone that my vet character is currently in. Thus, the flexibility of either location or skill.

But, as many have discovered, the equipment crafting writs are very rarely profitable anyway, so many don't really do them anymore. Me, I only do them when I've gathered enough materials through normal gameplay. Even then, only my Vet character does them, as at least I get 604 gold out of the deal, and lately, even trying to sell refined mats for 600 gold in the guild store is difficult, as I think that most people don't do them anymore and thus, aren't really purchasing the mats.

Overall, I think the writ system could be much better in terms of rewards and in terms of the requirements for the writs. This goes for the consumables as well, esp. Provisioning. Sometimes, you are asked to complete a writ that includes a recipe that your character doesn't know yet. Unless you can loot it or find it in the guild stores, you pretty much have to abandon it and hope the next day gives you a writ you can complete. But now, I'm ranting. :smile:
    Edited by Jayne_Doe on April 21, 2015 5:39PM
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frankly, having the system work based on what materials you are actually able to use, rather than based on what zone you happen to be in, is much better. I'm a lot happier with only getting writs that I have the skills to complete (and I want them to be the highest level that I'm able to complete, because the rewards are scaled to that level as well) than I would be with having to remember where I need to travel in order to pick up the appropriate writ.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Coffey69_101
    Coffey69_101
    Soul Shriven
    UrQuan wrote: »
    Frankly, having the system work based on what materials you are actually able to use, rather than based on what zone you happen to be in, is much better. I'm a lot happier with only getting writs that I have the skills to complete (and I want them to be the highest level that I'm able to complete, because the rewards are scaled to that level as well) than I would be with having to remember where I need to travel in order to pick up the appropriate writ.

Sure it is inconvenience. But it would be more convenient in your scenario if you could get in mail an order/writs and deliver it to a nearest Service point and the NPC will pass it onwards.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jayne_Doe wrote: »

But, as many have discovered, the equipment crafting writs are very rarely profitable anyway, so many don't really do them anymore. Me, I only do them when I've gathered enough materials through normal gameplay.

I only do Crafting Writs on one character who is otherwise doing L1 Consumable Writs (chasing recipes mostly). The only reason I do those on her is a 200 stack can last a week for Wood or Metal, and Cloth/Leather can last two weeks. Since this crafter is VR6, she gets 604 gold per writ. So she gets about 4,000 a day plus SWAG. I have yet to figure out how 6X604=4,000 but it does in this game. But since I have 4 mules with Hirelings and L1 in Materials, I have lots of L1 Mats.

However none of my L2, L3, L4 or L6 crafters will touch equipment writs.

I might do some on my L6 crafters, but one writ eats one 100 stack for those Equipment Writs. But I have a few stacks of L6 Mats to use.

Edited by Nestor on April 21, 2015 8:33PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure it is inconvenience. But it would be more convenient in your scenario if you could get in mail an order/writs and deliver it to a nearest Service point and the NPC will pass it onwards.

I honestly think they spread the writ drop locations out as otherwise everyone would be in Rahwkla (sp?) doing these things.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »

But, as many have discovered, the equipment crafting writs are very rarely profitable anyway, so many don't really do them anymore. Me, I only do them when I've gathered enough materials through normal gameplay.

I only do Crafting Writs on one character who is otherwise doing L1 Consumable Writs (chasing recipes mostly). The only reason I do those on her is a 200 stack can last a week for Wood or Metal, and Cloth/Leather can last two weeks. Since this crafter is VR6, she gets 604 gold per writ. So she gets about 4,000 a day plus SWAG. I have yet to figure out how 6X604=4,000 but it does in this game. But since I have 4 mules with Hirelings and L1 in Materials, I have lots of L1 Mats.

I might do some on my L6 crafters, but one writ eats one 100 stack for those Equipment Writs. But I have a few stacks of L6 Mats to use.

Yeah, I only do the BS equipment writ on my V6 character when I have the mats available through normal gameplay. This will net her 604 gold, which is about what I'm able to sell a stack for anymore in the guild store. I should have her do the L1 WW and Clothing writs, but I don't have much of those materials.

Also, in regard to 6x604=4,000, are you an ESO+ member? If so, it looks like the 10% gold bonus is kicking in. While it shows 604 gold as your reward in the fulfillment window, it looks like you're actually getting 10% more. 10% of 604 is 60.4; 664.40x6=3986.40.
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »

Yeah, I only do the BS equipment writ on my V6 character when I have the mats available through normal gameplay. This will net her 604 gold, which is about what I'm able to sell a stack for anymore in the guild store. I should have her do the L1 WW and Clothing writs, but I don't have much of those materials.

Also, in regard to 6x604=4,000, are you an ESO+ member? If so, it looks like the 10% gold bonus is kicking in. While it shows 604 gold as your reward in the fulfillment window, it looks like you're actually getting 10% more. 10% of 604 is 60.4; 664.40x6=3986.40.
    That's got to be it. I'm an ESO+ member, and every time I turn in a crafting writ on my main crafter (who also happens to be VR6) I get 664 gold from it, although the quest reward dialogue says it's going to be 604 (I've got a loot addon that displays the actual amount of gold I receive any time I get gold).
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)