The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Is it possible to do magicka damage as a nightblade

psufan5
psufan5
✭✭✭✭
I have some pretty good gear (Cyrdiil's light, torgus, martial knowledge), and I am pretty much unable to break anywhere near 10k consistently with my nighblade. I have tried using swallow soul, force pulse with cripple for single target damage, and it is just abysmal. With leather / medium gear I can regularly get 16-20k DPS, so I am looking for a little guidance in regards to cloth.

Is it even possible at this point?

Surgical Incision
Former Emperor
USPS4
  • Reman
    Reman
    ✭✭
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And this one: tamrielfoundry.com/topic/1-6-pve-correct-magicka-nightblade-dps-amstelx/
    But the truth is that NB mage can't reach same numbers as stamina. I reach 11k and in perfect conditions 13k. Usual dungeon hassle DPS is 9k. At this point i believe it is impossible. The top abilities after minmaxing are simply not strong enough. And considering current PvP spell resistances with nirnhoned, i see no reason why NB magicka damage should be kept so low. Most used skills like Veil, Funnel and Sap were nerfed in 1.6. Spam skills are relatively weak and there are not enough hard-hitting magicka DoTs. That is why NB mages can't do good damage.

The highest DPS i can get from the nearly same build as in the link
    - dual wielding nirnhoned swords
    - stay at melee range on stationary boss
    - Structured Entropy
    - Merciless Resolve
    - Crippling Grasp
    - spam Funnel Health
    - weave light attacks to collect Assassin's Will
    I actually don't use the Merciless Resolve. It is just too annoyingly difficult skill to use in practice. I use dual shades instead to keep the tank alive.

Best fix i think would be in Grim Focus.
    - Make any attacks including abilities to collect it on timer. Assassin's Will is enabled after seven attacks and seven seconds. After twenty seconds it expires if not used.
    - When Assassin's will is enabled, clicking the Grim Focus releases the arrow AND starts collecting the next one.

Second fix would be overall buff in Crippling Grasp. Something similar what sorcs got in Lightning Splash for PVE, make the DoT hit harder, maybe with gradually increasing damage.

Both DoTs need to contribute 5k PvE DPS on maximized build when perfectly timed.
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • psufan5
    psufan5
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you all.

Surgical Incision
    Former Emperor
    USPS4
  • Shader_Shibes
    Shader_Shibes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    helediron wrote: »
    I actually don't use the Merciless Resolve. It is just too annoyingly difficult skill to use in practice. I use dual shades instead to keep the tank alive.

Hmm, i can weave in the merciless resolve proc pretty well. You should try, as for me it can crit for 21k
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well yes, on e.g. bloodspawn gargoyle which just stands still like a statue it's okay but not on Hel Ra Warrior who keeps running and jumping around. Cripple is good. Merciless is designed by a sadist. I get 22k crits and a headache.
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone