The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

How Do People Melee DPS Valkyn Skoria?

Dagoth_Rac
Dagoth_Rac
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
Hello,
My DPS is melee-based. This obviously causes problems in some fights, like Vila Theran and Engine Guardian and Ra-Kotu. But those are not DPS races so even with mediocre ranged attacks, you can kill the boss, it will just a little longer. With Valkyn Skoria, you need to have really good DPS going the whole time or you will run out of platforms. This is causing problems for me because in melee range, I tend to get wrecked by the fire that expands from where boss is standing. I have tried dancing around to avoid the fire, but that is a DPS loss and I seem to take lots of damage, anyway. I am not a vampire, so it just seems like the fire damage he emits is simply really, really nasty.
But I am sure people do melee him because I have seen screencaps after his death with lots of Biting Jabs and Rapid Strikes and Executioner and stuff like that listed. So does anyone have tips for how to melee Valkyn Skoria? Is there some trick to it or mechanic that I am missing so that I can stay near him and not take crazy fire damage?

Thanks!
  • mrvbalc
    mrvbalc
    ✭✭✭
    same here, need some tips to melee down him, (DW and 2h, atm), 2 times killed him but only using bow and in normal mode. couldnt done in hard mode since i couldnt do much dps with bow
    967qe6gfe8s7.png
    Balc
    As always Dragon of the Dominion
  • Shunravi
    Shunravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's all about how you position those flames. highschool%20_1.GIF
    Your tank will want to position the geysers at points A and B, with the Valkin at point C. You can then stand at point O and maintain dps with only minor movement. It's not easy, but it's doable.
    This one has an eloquent and well thought out response to tha... Ooh sweetroll!
  • Shunravi
    Shunravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Also, if the healer is on the platform with you, have them behind you so they are safer, and have them use some mitigation abilities like circle of protection and combat prayer. Bone shield is nice too if you can use the synergy while doing your rotation, or if the tank can....

I personally like the healer on the platform spamming healing springs (especially with a master's staff.)
    Edited by Shunravi on April 8, 2015 4:59PM
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »
    I am not a vampire, so it just seems like the fire damage he emits is simply really, really nasty.
    Why you gotta make it about vampire, eh? ;)

Does seem like they could add a mechanic to help offset this somehow. Shada's Tear end boss same deal. You don't always have the option to stand at ground zero.

Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Shunravi
    Shunravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I am not a vampire, so it just seems like the fire damage he emits is simply really, really nasty.
    Why you gotta make it about vampire, eh? ;)

Does seem like they could add a mechanic to help offset this somehow. Shada's Tear end boss same deal. You don't always have the option to stand at ground zero.

I know some melee vamps who do it...

But, yea, something to offset it... Kinda like killing the sparks on the forge boss in Shada's
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shunravi wrote: »
    Also, if the healer is on the platform with you, have them behind you so they are safer, and have them use some mitigation abilities like circle of protection and combat prayer. Bone shield is nice too if you can use the synergy while doing your rotation, or if the tank can....

Wait, the healer can be on the platform with us?! We have always had the healer (and any ranged DPS) on the center platform and the tank (and my melee DPS) on the platform with Valkyn. I don't heal, but I get the impression it is harder when the group is spread out like that. So if I could talk the healer into getting closer to me, that would be nice. :-)
  • Shunravi
    Shunravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Wait, the healer can be on the platform with us?! We have always had the healer (and any ranged DPS) on the center platform and the tank (and my melee DPS) on the platform with Valkyn. I don't heal, but I get the impression it is harder when the group is spread out like that. So if I could talk the healer into getting closer to me, that would be nice. :-)

Yup. Heck, if the healer can avoid stuff, it's easier. The percs are; not having to juggle ranged heals, can place support abilities for mitigation and boosted damage and other percs, and can use healing springs as everyone should be in range. I only ever do ranged mid during normal mode to be safe and because of where he could move.

In hardmode you can essentially control where he goes.
    Edited by Shunravi on April 8, 2015 5:30PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello,
    Is there some trick to it or mechanic that I am missing so that I can stay near him and not take crazy fire damage?

Thanks!

Got any Kuta's or Rekuta's? Make a Fire Resist Glyph, or three, and put them on some jewelery for this fight. I have a couple of rings like this for these nasty fire spitters. Reduces my normal stats (I use Warlock or Syrbane Jewelry), but keeps me alive.

Do you have any kind of Shield that you can put up?

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Hello,
    Is there some trick to it or mechanic that I am missing so that I can stay near him and not take crazy fire damage?

Thanks!

Got any Kuta's or Rekuta's? Make a Fire Resist Glyph, or three, and put them on some jewelery for this fight. I have a couple of rings like this for these nasty fire spitters. Reduces my normal stats (I use Warlock or Syrbane Jewelry), but keeps me alive.

@Nestor, he does not...but he knows someone that does ;)
    Your tank will want to position the geysers at points A and B, with the Valkin at point C. You can then stand at point O and maintain dps with only minor movement. It's not easy, but it's doable.
    @Shunravi, DPS here. How does the tank position the geysers? By controlling the direction the boss is facing?

This is also something I'm not sure we're doing, so much as just keeping the boss taunted. But again, I'm not the tank.

Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Shunravi
    Shunravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hello,

Thanks!

^ as is the theme of the thread, you can't dps while dead.

Hello,

Thanks!

@Nestor, he does not...but he knows someone that does ;)
    @Shunravi, DPS here. How does the tank position the geysers? By controlling the direction the boss is facing?

This is also something I'm not sure we're doing, so much as just keeping the boss taunted. But again, I'm not the tank.
    Everything going well, taunts and (threat?) handled, the valkin should be putting the flames on the guy with agro. The tank needs to stand in that position and then alternate when he throws the font down. The only mechanic I have noticed that is not influenced by agro is his fireball knockdown, (from a tanks perspective.) And, yes, he will throw the font down in front of him, so where he is facing. Heck, you could put the font in the lava if the tank has timing down, then you could stand in a line through the center.

the font could go anywhere on that side, but it's safer for everybody at those two points.

Edited by Shunravi on April 8, 2015 6:23PM
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am not clear where the tank is in this. Is he moving back and forth between points A & B? Or does he just stand in place below point C?
  • Shunravi
    Shunravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I am not clear where the tank is in this. Is he moving back and forth between points A & B? Or does he just stand in place below point C?

sorry, I'm making myself hard to understand again....

Yes, the tank moves to point A and B.

The purpose of this being to create space between the team and the flame font. The valkin will place the font where the tank was standing. Using this method, there should be fair distance between the font and the dps. And the tank will have moved away from the danger zone.
  • Islyn
    Islyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    YOLO. That is how :trollface:
  • Shunravi
    Shunravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Also, point O is very lenient. Move according to how comfortable you feel. If the tank is keeping to the points, at the very least you have a pattern of where the danger comes from and where the boss will be.
    Edited by Shunravi on April 8, 2015 8:30PM
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also, point O is very lenient. Move according to how comfortable you feel. If the tank is keeping to the points, at the very least you have a pattern of where the danger comes from and where the boss will be.

This has been really helpful. Thank you so much! I have watched videos of the fight, but it is often hard to understand why people are doing certain things or how they know exactly when to do them, just from a video.

He also has an attack where he seems to pull his arm back and shoot fire at a random player. Is that what sometimes CC's me? How do you avoid the CC? Block? Dodge roll? I never seem to see people getting CC'ed in the videos on YouTube so I must be doing something wrong that is getting me CC'ed.
  • Shunravi
    Shunravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

This has been really helpful. Thank you so much! I have watched videos of the fight, but it is often hard to understand why people are doing certain things or how they know exactly when to do them, just from a video.

He also has an attack where he seems to pull his arm back and shoot fire at a random player. Is that what sometimes CC's me? How do you avoid the CC? Block? Dodge roll? I never seem to see people getting CC'ed in the videos on YouTube so I must be doing something wrong that is getting me CC'ed.

Annytime :)

Yea, that's his annoying firebolt thingy... As a general rule, get ready to rolldodge (or block) when he lifts his arm. He's about to cast, and if you get hit it's never pleasant. Also, watch for visual effects. When he casts his petrify, for instance, you will see rocks gather at his feet. Petrify and the firebolt can be rolldodged.

And the firebolt does target randomly.
    Edited by Shunravi on April 10, 2015 4:29PM
  • Islyn
    Islyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And y we all just block those too. I personally cannot roll dodge too much.
  • Shunravi
    Shunravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Islyn wrote: »
    And y we all just block those too. I personally cannot roll dodge too much.

True. Though in thinking stamina melee build in this thread... More rolldodge ability. (And I sometimes rolldodge cancel.)

Yea, block or dodge. Whichever one.

• Alcast
    Alcast
    Class Representative
    All on the same platform, healer spamming Healing Springs, Tank tanks the boss on edge and if the boss drops the fire AOE the tank has to move to another corner.
    Before he destroys the platform move to the next one.

https://youtu.be/hqvaIGwhPdU
    Edited by Alcast on April 11, 2015 10:35AM
    https://alcasthq.com - Alcasthq.com Builds & Guides
    https://eso-hub.com - ESO-Hub.com Sets, Skills, Guides & News
    https://dwemerautomaton.com - Discord, Telegram & Twitch Command Bot