Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What is the level requirement for steel blacksmithing?

Going4Quests
Going4Quests
Soul Shriven
Hello!

For the last couple of days I have been training my blacksmithing skill through stealing iron weapons and armour from the palace of the king in Daggerfall. However, since I have been around level 17 I am no longer getting iron items, but steel items from the palace. This gives me a problem: I can no longer use the items I steal to receive iron ignots.

I have unlocked the skill ability to make steel stuff, but I cannot do this yet. I think I cannot make steel yet because my blacksmithing level is too low. Does anyone know what level you need to be able to make steel stuff?

Thanks!
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Character Level and Material Level have an effect on what you find in the game. Mobs drop loot based on your character level, not your Material Level. Same with Game Loot from containers or chests.What you can make and decon for materials, not just experience is based on Material Level too.

If you unlocked Level 2 in BS Materials, you can make Steel. What you might be seeing is the item in Red in the Crafting Window. That is usually because your character is too low a level to use Steel items. But you can still craft them. But you are at the level to use Steel, so that is probably not the issue you are seeing.

One thing to note, those White low value items, they have the least amount of Inspiration for decon, and rarely if ever give up any materials on decon. Mob Loot is much better, stuff made by other crafters is somewhat better than that.

So, where do you get iron from? Well, if your still at Material Level 1, then get a hireling, they will give you some ore each day. Or you can Farm Zone 1 or the Starter Islands for Iron Ore. Or, buy some Iron at the Guild Kiosks/Stores.

I do have a nice stash of Iron Ingots, I can sell you a stack for the going rate tonight if you need some (and your on the NA Server)
    Edited by Nestor on April 8, 2015 8:54PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"